BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driving home while out doing things. And about 1 mile away from home, the car started running rough, down on power. Gently nursed it home. But not long after I pulled in the driveway, I hear knocking from what sounds like underneath. Pretty sure it's a rod knock.

SES light didn't come on, but I did pull the following codes.

Cylinder 8 misfire detected
Bank 2 system too rich
Cylinder 7 misfire detected
Random, multiple misfires detected
Misfire cylinder 8 exhaust
Fuel system diagnosis 2
Misfire cylinder 7 exhaust
Misfire of multiple cylinder exhaust.

Here's a video of the sound.

So how deep in s**t am I?

Sent from Uranus with Love.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That doesn't sound like rod knock to me. I believe, having read some other threads, that if you rev the engine while in neutral to between 2-3K RPM, if the 'knocking' you suspect gets louder, then it is rod knock. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Started the car up and the sound is gone. So thankfully it's not a knock. Still running rough and have a misfire code for cylinder 8 and occasionally the other ones. But I had this problem before with cylinder 4 ignition coil about 2 months ago and swapped it with a used one. But it's time I replace all of them.

Bremi is the original OEM supplier, but I've heard mixed reviews about them since with they are supposedly being made in China. Would Bosch be any better? I already changed the spark plugs back when I replaced #4 ignition coil.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
If you have access to DIS, run a VANOS test. I've used Bremi in the past w/o issue, but they weren't Chinese (as I recall). Get them from FCPEuro, lifetime warranty if they do go bad.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have access to DIS, run a VANOS test. I've used Bremi in the past w/o issue, but they weren't Chinese (as I recall). Get them from FCPEuro, lifetime warranty if they do go bad.
Don't have access to DIS. Been meaning to get the vanos o-rings replaced, I have the parts to do it. I just haven't had the time.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
It's worth having, along with INPA and PASoft. If you need the software, I have copies. o-rings and check the solder joints on the solenoids, clean them etc

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's worth having, along with INPA and PASoft. If you need the software, I have copies. o-rings and check the solder joints on the solenoids, clean them etc
Yep, did plenty of research on how to clean and solder the parts. I'd be down for the software if you have copies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts