BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My 2000 M5, Titanium silver, bruyere Exclusive interior has about 5500 miles so far, and I have had only one problem. That was that even though my build date was late Jan 2000, I am still among the chassis numbers which have the service engine light come on randomly. However, this only happened twice in first 1200 miles, and went out on its own, and now has not happened in >4000 miles. I'll have the dealer use their new DME programming ability at next service, not before. I've used 1 (ONE) quart of oil in the entire time with this car. I added that at about 5000 miles, and am now at full. I drive the car fairly hard, using it as a daily driver, but don't abuse any component. The only mod on the car is John Hennessey's K&N filters. I'm thrilled with the car, love it as much as my previous 993 Carrera 4, which it seriously outperforms.
I'm sorry to hear about folks with blown engines, clutch problems, etc, but my personal suspicion is that some of this is due to poor driving technique and abuse of the machinery. FWIW,
Preston Calvert

·
Registered
109 Posts
You are right man, when the car is not abused it has no problems, that is why we try to limit the test drives of the M5.

Its a nice car, but thre is still the E55 which is excellent as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I guess mine is "high use" too, though there have to be many E39 M5s outside the USA with more time and miles.

I have had my car for six months, since late November 1999. It's stock except for a UUC Motorwerks Competition EVO w/ERK short shifter installed at 4300 miles. I now have 9000 nearly trouble free miles on the car. In that time, the only problems were one nail punctured Pilot Sport, one foggy outside right mirror glass replaced, and my OBC lost all memory settings at about 8000 miles. I've never had a "check engine" light display.

I've enjoyed many high speed road miles blasting through the desert, and feel sorry for those M5 owners who don't get to enjoy their cars on the open road.

I may have added a total of three quarts oil, if that much, in 9000 miles, which I consider very minor oil consumption, particularly considering how hard I drive this car. Oil was changed (at my expense) about 2000 miles, again at 5000 miles, and I'll be doing it again soon (I still have two green service lights left). I check oil at every refueling, in every car I own.

I'd rather have it burn a little oil than leak it onto the ground like my Land Rover Discovery did.

Richard
'00 M5
'93 525i turbo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts