BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've cleared codes before via the OBD plug; now using different scanners, i get a "not communicating" message. the fuse(OBD) 15 is fine, the female connectors and wires on the back of the OBD plug are fine. is there a MIL plug hiding under the hood anywhere in which i could read my codes? any suggestions from you guys?

thanks,
MF

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
your car seems to be a 2001, do you have the diagnostic plug under the hood?

Has the cap been removed?

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
Not sure exactly when they stopped putting the plug under the hood but you may not have one. It is round about the same diameter as a small wine bottle. It is nested next to the intensive washer fluid bottle, on the passengerside just in front of the shock tower. That is where it is in a 2000 car and I believe that is the last year they put them in.

Your problem with your plug, first when you open the trap door look at the door for pins check to make sure one pin is not broken and now jammed in the OBD socket. Not absolutely sure about this but I believe there is a second fuse that feeds a power out to the scanners. This trips a relay in the tool so it is powered from the car while on. If you do not have power out of that you will get the failed to communicate message. I can hear the relay click in my scanner every time I plug it into a car.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here in the States the fuse for the ob2 connector is the same one that powers up the cigarette lighter/power outlet. If that's not working you probably have a blown fuse. And yes make sure cover is on the under hood connector , it has jumper pins built into it for communication.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have the same thing going with my under the hood diagnostic port. I hear a clicking sound too. Which Fuses would they be? In the trunk or under the cabin filters? Dont to mention I think my ABS control module went out. Of course I think it went out before I was running diagnostics on the port lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.