BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

After driving my M5 for almost 2 years without any real problem...

During an normal drive it started to run on 7 cilinders. Engine light on dash didn't went on.
After parking it and starting it up the next day, it ran on 7 cyl. for about 2 seconds, than the 8th cylinder started working again.

The first thing which came to my mind was that i may have to change the sparkplugs.

The second problem is my vanos, see below:

those are the errors:

6a: Signal for brake light
7: signal camshaft sensor inlet cyl.row1
B8: Function inlet vanos cyl.bank1 management
B3: catalysator convertion cyl.row2

So in my opion errors 7 and b8 relate, because my vanos probably doesn't work 100% with the result that the camshaftsensor reads a problem.

What do these values mean?

Error B3 could have something to do with that 1 cilinder which doesn't run well.

On this printscreen the fuel injection:

seems oke, so i guess my injectors are fine

see here misfire count:

sparkplugs replacements seems to be needed, last replacement was 8 years ago.

Basic values:

Air mass sensors:

Working of cylinders:

Oxygen sensor temp
4 values below:

oxygen sensor before cat bank 1: 0.07 V
bank 2: 0.09 V
after cat bank 1: 0.65 V
after cat bank 2: 0.06 V

sensor gear adjustment

I really hope someone understands those numbers.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hello everyone,

After driving my M5 for almost 2 years without any real problem...

During an normal drive it started to run on 7 cilinders. Engine light on dash didn't went on.
After parking it and starting it up the next day, it ran on 7 cyl. for about 2 seconds, than the 8th cylinder started working again.

The first thing which came to my mind was that i may have to change the sparkplugs.

The second problem is my vanos, see below:

those are the errors:

6a: Signal for brake light
7: signal camshaft sensor inlet cyl.row1
B8: Function inlet vanos cyl.bank1 management
B3: catalysator convertion cyl.row2

So in my opion errors 7 and b8 relate, because my vanos probably doesn't work 100% with the result that the camshaftsensor reads a problem.

What do these values mean?

Error B3 could have something to do with that 1 cilinder which doesn't run well.

On this printscreen the fuel injection:

seems oke, so i guess my injectors are fine

see here misfire count:

sparkplugs replacements seems to be needed, last replacement was 8 years ago.

Basic values:

Air mass sensors:

Working of cylinders:

Oxygen sensor temp
4 values below:

oxygen sensor before cat bank 1: 0.07 V
bank 2: 0.09 V
after cat bank 1: 0.65 V
after cat bank 2: 0.06 V

sensor gear adjustment

I really hope someone understands those numbers.

Lots of information you posted! Well done! With everything you provided the advanced members will give more input, but based on the codes, if I interpreted them correctly, you have a bad Cam Position Sensor. Replacement of the spark plugs is a good idea after 8 years, but don't do it thinking it will fix your problem. It won't.

Maybe don't listen to me though, I only understand the 2 pictures above, and not numbers. :cheers:

Reactions: jamiepeers

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Also, I forgot to ask how many km's or miles on your car? Have CPS' ever been replaced? If not, and based on your response of mileage, it might be a good idea to replace all 4 for several reasons, one of which is that BMW came out with an updated sensor that seems to last longer and have less issues.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
First,I like the basic values.

Second,change the inlet CPS on bank1,good chance your misfire is related to the Vanos.

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
What Tech said about your CPS s all true, especially about replacing all 4.

The same is true for your O2 sensors if you have no idea there age, if the plugs are 8 years old the O2 are likely older. You need to replace at least the post cat sensor on bank 2, left side of the car.

It is hard to know from just posting a V number from the O2 since they fluctuate back and forth from high to low, but the odds are they will be lying. You have a lot of things to get caught up on definitely replace the plugs, and likely your fuel filter has not been changed either. That is another part that breaks things if it is neglected.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I agree that the bad CPS on bank 1 is the culprit but also, to add to all the "change stuff" recommendations, your bank 1 MAF looks weak. The 0.89V is low for the engine load of 24%.

Have the MAF's ever been changed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts