BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just completed 1500 miles in my car and would like to get advice on whether changing the oil and filter would be necessary before taking the engine above the 4500rpm limit I set to run the engine in.

I've heard differing views on this, and one person even said that changing the oil early in the life of the engine would stop it from bedding in. I intend to use Mobil 1 15W50 fully synthetic oil.

Any advice on this would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
765 Posts
here on the continente, BMW recommends an oil change sevice at 1200 miles for all M cars (they also change filters).
if you look in your service book, it is there, the service after delivery.
the oil that the car is filled up with when leaving the factory serves not just the purpose of lubricating the engine, but cleaning it as well, so i think it would a good idea to change it.
i suppose it is like that all over the world.

------------------
SL

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Originally posted by KnightRider:
here on the continente, BMW recommends an oil change sevice at 1200 miles for all M cars (they also change filters).

Hello fellow bean counter..... On this continent they do not change engine oil and filter, only differential oil. They did top off the engine oil though. Service is 1200 miles as you said.

------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Your oil change at 1200 miles is a must. It removes any debris that may have accumulated in the engine during manufacture (you don't really want shards of metal floating around your sump). After that, I'd stick with every 3000 miles/3 months whichever comes first. Mobil 1 should be fine but look into what BMW recommends - does anyone else have any feedback??

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far. My only concern is that I've been advised that the engine oil that is used in the factory has been specifically developed with additives that will help to bed the engine nicely. Removing that oil and replacing it with synthetic oil might stop the bedding in process altogether. Also in modern day engines, the issue of metal shards is no longer a problem. Apparently all engines are run on a test bed during production to clean them and then this special factory oil is put in.

This is what BMW technical have advised me but I'd rather get opinions from owners who practice this oil change themselves. I've also been advised that Mobil 1 0W40 is too thin and that I should stick with the 15W50 grade.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Special Factory Oil? It's Castrol Syntec 10W-60 or 5W-30.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My dealer told me that there was a required service at 1200 miles to change the oil.

------------------
Phil

01 M5 SilverStone due 12/00

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone have any experience with Red Line oils? The 2 oils in contention are Mobil 1 and Red Line, both 15W50 grade oils. My dealer seems to be using Castrol to quite a large extent but its a 5W40 grade which they use for everything from a 316i right up to the 750iLs and M5s.

If anyone has an oil which they've used and found reliable, I'll be grateful. I've so far been using Mobil 1 0W40 in my 'M' cars but find that its a little too thin and the engines are sometimes quite noisy.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Originally posted by PhilSeastrand:
My dealer told me that there was a required service at 1200 miles to change the oil.
Phil the dealers are not necessarily familar with the M5 and often give erroneous advice.
However, if you can get an oil change out of them go for it.

If there is one thing this board has taught us it is the number of rumors and mis-information that goes around.

Take a lot of this stuff with a grain of salt.

------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Originally posted by Jim Dolan:
Take a lot of this stuff with a grain of salt.
I hear ya... This is one reason I've been so interested in this board.

I found it interesting that the dealer mentioned this board to me the other day. Apparently they are keeping tabs on our discussions as well.

------------------
Phil

·
Registered
765 Posts
used Mobil 1 (5W40) for 528i worked fine,
same now for M Roadster.
for M5 Castrol Formula RS (10W60).

------------------
SL

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Originally posted by Gustav:
Really?

What did the dealer say?
He said that there is a web site that has a discussion board about the M5. He mentioned the topic about the Wine Country trip as an example. He was suggesting that I look here for good information about the car. I said that I had already found it! He never told me the URL because I said that I knew about it.

------------------
Phil

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just had the 1200 service. The Dealer used Castrol Formula RS 10W60. When asked about the oil he showed me the service bulletin from BMW that specified 10W60 for the M5. 5W40 was also mentioned as acceptable. As you would expect, no particular brand was specified.
Glad to report I have had no problems with the car through 1200 miles. I initially thought that I had a tire problem because of the tire inflation message. But after I read the book I found out that I had not set the tire inflation monitoring system properly. No messages since then.
The other comments in this thread about getting the 1200 maintenance are correct. Don't screw around with the first oil change. I have rebuilt engines and I can tell you that you wouldn't believe the crap that is floating around in the oil in the first thousand miles. I don't know the proper change interval after that but if the service indicator doesn't indicate a need to change the oil after 5,000 miles i am going to change it anyway. Just old fashioned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by pyaap:
Does anyone have any experience with Red Line oils? The 2 oils in contention are Mobil 1 and Red Line, both 15W50 grade oils. My dealer seems to be using Castrol to quite a large extent but its a 5W40 grade which they use for everything from a 316i right up to the 750iLs and M5s.

If anyone has an oil which they've used and found reliable, I'll be grateful. I've so far been using Mobil 1 0W40 in my 'M' cars but find that its a little too thin and the engines are sometimes quite noisy.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
As mentioned previously by several other enthusiasts... here in the US, the dealers are not required to change the oil in our M5's at the 1200 service checkup. I told my dealer I wanted the engine oil changed along with the other fluids (which they will do at BMW expense). I now have 3950 miles and am about to change the oil again, as I am very anal about changing my oil every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first?

Additionally, as one or more of you have explained, there are definitely some shavings and such floating around in the engine oil after the first 1000 miles or so... don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want that stuff in my oil?!!!!

Therefore, I paid for my 1200 mile oil change myself... small price to pay for piece of mind!! IMHO!

-Andy-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts