BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my beast in to the £tealer for an INSP 1.

While it was there they said the beast had thrown a few codes and I needed to replace the auxillary fan and also the auxillary water pump.

Needless to say I said no thanks and got my INSP 1 stamp before leaving.

I have noticed my car is running cooler for the past few months (bear in mind the weather in the UK doesn't really vary much). The temp gauge reads about 20 degees off centre (angle) towards cold.

I am guessing the themostat is stuck open. Would this throw the codes for the water pump and fan?

I'm thinking about getting my indie to replace the thermostat first before replacing anything else first.

Opinions please, I bow to your superior knowledge.

Max

PS. fuel consumption is fine, car runs fine.
PPS. £tealer wanted to charge nearly £50 ($100) to replace the wiper blades! Hence my reluctance to get them to do anything other than a service.

·
Registered
576 Posts

While it was there they said the beast had thrown a few codes and I needed to replace the auxillary fan and also the auxillary water pump.

I have noticed my car is running cooler for the past few months (bear in mind the weather in the UK doesn't really vary much). The temp gauge reads about 20 degees off centre (angle) towards cold.

I am guessing the themostat is stuck open. Would this throw the codes for the water pump and fan?

I'm thinking about getting my indie to replace the thermostat first before replacing anything else first.
I had the same symptoms as you but my car was also using more petrol. I bought the thermostat and fitted it myself at the weekend and all is well, needle is pointing straight up.

Max

PPS. £tealer wanted to charge nearly £50 ($100) to replace the wiper blades! Hence my reluctance to get them to do anything other than a service.

I had the same symptoms as you but my car was also using more petrol. I bought the thermostat and fitted it myself at the weekend and all is well, needle is pointing straight up.
Thermostat is around £65 and i think M5 specific.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Could you give an indication of how cool it is running? Operating temperature should not be below 79 degrees (that is when the thermostat opens) so if you see below this (test 7) then you would indeed have a problem.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anders

How would I find out the operating temp?

Wane

How long did it take to replace - was it a chore?

Max

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
50 quid for wiper blades that is day light robbery, I got mine for 22 euros. I am not sure if it is the same in england but over here you have to get them from BMW, at least that what I was told by france's version of halfords.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I got mine from German & Swedish for £14 and they are the Bosch ones!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Anders

How would I find out the operating temp?

Wane

How long did it take to replace - was it a chore?

Max
Entire job took about an hour. I removed the two maf hoses, drained coolant by removing the hose at the bottom of the(coolant) tank,disconnect left and right hoses, unbolted unit fixed to the thermostat housing, 22 mm spanner to unbolt the sensor and then wiggle/pull the housing towards you and lifting it up to clear the bottom half.
The hardest part is removing the metal sealing ring from the housing body and pressing the new one in.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Max

No, a stuck thermostat will not throw a code for a water pump or fan, or the aux pump either. BUT, it could keep the car in open loop and trigger an SES light. It could also start to build up...CARBON. So if it's running cool, replace the thermostat for sure.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave

Thanks. Guess what. I got an SES light on my way to work this morning!

Luckily I have a friend coming over tonight to pull the codes. I'll post the outcome tomorrow.

Max

PS. The thermostat is only 2yrs 30k miles old! At least it's a relatively cheap part.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update. Pulled the codes last night. Nothing for the fan or pump and the O2's are all running lean which threw the SES code yesterday.

I'll try and get my indie to replace the thermostat and report back next week.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Update. Pulled the codes last night. Nothing for the fan or pump and the O2's are all running lean which threw the SES code yesterday.

I'll try and get my indie to replace the thermostat and report back next week.
I'm having the same issue, I checked the coolant temp on the dash and I'm running @ 72C... I'll be changing the thermostat this weekend

·
Registered
936 Posts
Entire job took about an hour. I removed the two maf hoses, drained coolant by removing the hose at the bottom of the(coolant) tank,disconnect left and right hoses, unbolted unit fixed to the thermostat housing, 22 mm spanner to unbolt the sensor and then wiggle/pull the housing towards you and lifting it up to clear the bottom half.
The hardest part is removing the metal sealing ring from the housing body and pressing the new one in.
Thanks for the tips :M5thumbs:

Do you get a new metal sealing ring with the thermostat?

My temp needle is pointing below the center mark also - unless I drive the beast on :) - I think I should replace my thermostat also!

Cheers,

Richie.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for the tips :M5thumbs:

Do you get a new metal sealing ring with the thermostat?

My temp needle is pointing below the center mark also - unless I drive the beast on :) - I think I should replace my thermostat also!

Cheers,

Richie.
The sealing ring has to be ordered separately.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
changed the thermostat this weekend... ugh what a pain it was to get new o rings into the rear pipes, especially the middle one...

overall it took longer than it should because of the damned new o rings... you have to push them in using the thermostat housing but you get no leverage to push... after trying with a buddy for about 40 mins we finally got it far enough in to put in the bolts

car runs nice and warm now... no more running rich :) if anyone wants the thermostat housing ring (with metal) I'll sell mine, it was 45 bucks at the dealer, i'll paypal it for 30 with shipping... I ended up not using it since the one inside the housing looked fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I noticed mine running "cool" when I was sort of lolligagging around town...oil temp never really got up to center either. I was thinking that I would need to replace thermostat...but when I drive it like an M5:cool2:, it goes right up to center, both oil and coolant. should it go to center under mellow around town driving?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I noticed mine running "cool" when I was sort of lolligagging around town...oil temp never really got up to center either. I was thinking that I would need to replace thermostat...but when I drive it like an M5:cool2:, it goes right up to center, both oil and coolant. should it go to center under mellow around town driving?
use the instrument panel to check you coolant temp... before I changed the thermostat I never got over 78C now I'm at 80-82C during normal driving

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine was replaced last weekend and now seems to be running at the right temp. The coolant was hovering around 88 degrees last night (outside temp was 8.5 degrees). What's the maximum temp. before the electric fan kicks in?

Definately a lesson learnt here - change the thermostat before looking to replace O2's or indeed MAFs as the £tealer suggested.

I still have a fault code for the auxillary fan - is there any way I can get it to come on manually to check it's operation?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I am getting mine done pronto as well. Car seems to run rich and temp needle stays left of center...

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Mine was replaced last weekend and now seems to be running at the right temp. The coolant was hovering around 88 degrees last night (outside temp was 8.5 degrees). What's the maximum temp. before the electric fan kicks in?

Definately a lesson learnt here - change the thermostat before looking to replace O2's or indeed MAFs as the £tealer suggested.

I still have a fault code for the auxillary fan - is there any way I can get it to come on manually to check it's operation?
I believe the fan comes on when the AC compressor comes on. However your temps might be too cool to allow the compressor to kick on.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts