BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2500 KM on my 2007 beast! Recently, while driving at slow speeds (5-10 MPH) and while turning sharply, there is a sound coming from the rear end of the car. Almost like a rubbing sound or small vibration.

Anyone have any ideas? Yes, I am taking it in tomorrow.

Thanks!!

RW

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I've had similar issues turning at low speed, but only not long after the start of the engine. Waiting for your result.
It bothers me when something like that happens.:1zhelp:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Differential maybe?

had same sounding symptoms several weeks back. slow turns left or right. grinding noises..

Changed diff oil + added special additive. Well known problem apparently.

Problem went away.

Good luck...

·
Registered
85 Posts
same exact noise in my '07 vert. I have about 5k miles on mine, been there since new. I was thinking about posting something or mentioning to service next time in. That was until I went to BMW M experience in SC and drove a couple of other M cars. Heard the exact same noise in exact same condition, slow turn. I suspect it is the traction control and/or DSC at work on one of the rear axles, properly distributing torque between the wheels. Been too lazy to do anything about it, very interested to hear the actual root cause/fix or it is just part of the package.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
by the title of your post, I thought this was a problem with girlssssss:7:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Differential maybe?

had same sounding symptoms several weeks back. slow turns left or right. grinding noises..

Changed diff oil + added special additive. Well known problem apparently.

Problem went away.

Good luck...
Actually, now that you mention the diff oil, it has been since I had my first service the sound has been there. Maybe not enough oil in diff???? That's what it sounds like...I will let you guys know. Thanks!!

RW

·
Registered
17 Posts
exact same problem

I have 2500 KM on my 2007 beast! Recently, while driving at slow speeds (5-10 MPH) and while turning sharply, there is a sound coming from the rear end of the car. Almost like a rubbing sound or small vibration.

Anyone have any ideas? Yes, I am taking it in tomorrow.

Thanks!!

RW
i've got the exact same problem but only when the engine is still warming up. with only 800km i've been told its to do with the traction control DSC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
HAD the same problem. Only when vehicle was cold, only turning right at low speed. Took the vehicle to dealer. Drain/fill/added additive and.... voila! Noise gone.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the same problem. My diff is grinding only on right hand turns. It turns out there is a service bulletin about the m5 and m6 and the lsd diffs in the e46 M3's as well as the Mini coopers. There fix is to use a diff oil that allows the limited slip to slip more. They did this to my car and the noise went away for a couple hundred miles and came back. I took it back to the dealer and an engineer from BMW was there the next day to drive my car. He told me that BMW is aware of the problem and is looking into a fix. He said if I could live with it for another month and if there was no fix by then that he would swap the diff for a new one but thought that the new one might make the same noise. :dunno:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it dangerous to drive it this way, especially at high speeds?? Also, is it doing any damage?

Thanks guys! This is great help! More than anyone would ever get at the dealer!!

RW

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is it dangerous to drive it this way, especially at high speeds?? Also, is it doing any damage?

RW
I cant say for sure but I would think that the limited slip is doing less work at high speeds since both rear wheel are spinning at closer speeds than at slow driving. If your car is under warranty which it should be unless your over miles BMW would have to replace it for you if it broke anyway.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had it twice and i took it to dealer and they changed the diff oil but i think it still is there

·
Registered
286 Posts
Had the same problem on my M5. They completed the SB, and then it went away. Now have the EXACT same problem on the M6 -- but actually on the right front? (that's what it feels like) -- and thought they would have fixed it in mfg and not a SB any more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Any update here?
Sorry for the delay...I have 800 km on the car since it went back in and I cannot hear the noise at all - 100% fixed!!

They changed the oil in the diff AND added the additive others have talked about on here....make sure all you guys get them to add it!!! They said they forgot when it went in for the 2,000 KM service.

Cheers!

RW

·
Registered
814 Posts
noises

had the same problem with my E46 M3... changed the diff oil to a newer spec... drove around for about 50 miles... problem went away.. apparently like someone has already mentioned on here.. its a well known problem for M-cars... just asked your SA... there is an Service Bulletin out for it..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts