BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you guys experiencing any rubbing in the rear tires when you have people in the back? I always do a little extra to my cars, but really want to avoid rubbing.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have 20" wheels with 285/30 PS2's in the rear and without my wheel spacers there is no rubbing...even with 5 people in the car. On the other hand, with my 10mm spacers, in I do get a little rubbing when I have people in the back seat. This is a simple fix though, all you need to do is trim the rear bumper right where it meets the fender. I haven't done it yet because I rarely have more than 2 people with me.

BUT...without wheel spacers there is NO RUBBING with 20" wheels and 255/35 front tires and 285/30 rears.

Hope this answers your questions.:cheers:

·
Registered
260 Posts
What effect does "rubbing" have specifically? Obviously its bad for the tires, but it sounds like it could "cut" into the rubber, if you are low enough...

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,792 Posts
I just had my tires replaced (free of charge) cause they were too damn large for the car. Major rubbing on dips and whatnot. Definitely wore a line into the tires and left rubber on the fender (easily removed)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the insight fellas. If I dont have the spacers in I would be unevenly wearing my tires right. Is the rubbing only on big dips and bumps?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Spacers aren't necessary depending on the offset of the wheels. Most 20" aftermarket wheels require some spacers. Uneven tire wear is the result of alignment issues. I'm running 275 fronts and 305 rears like bmwbonehead (we both have this setup on RAC Monolites which don't require spacers because they were built with the max offsets that fit). We're both getting slight rubbing with extra people or big dips on the rear, just where the bumper piece comes around and meets the side fenders. It just comes up a little too high over the tire and it rubs. I'll have mine rolled pretty soon...but gotta get a new alignment first (I need it anyway) and hopefully that will resolve it.

EDIT: sorry bmwbonehead!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
glowrider said:
I just had my tires replaced (free of charge) cause they were too damn large for the car. Major rubbing on dips and whatnot. Definitely wore a line into the tires and left rubber on the fender (easily removed)
What size tires were they? Is your car lowered? Are you using spacers?

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
JamesInLV said:
Spacers aren't necessary depending on the offset of the wheels. Most 20" aftermarket wheels require some spacers. Uneven tire wear is the result of alignment issues. I'm running 275 fronts and 305 rears like unfoundhorsepower (we both have this setup on RAC Monolites which don't require spacers because they were built with the max offsets that fit). We're both getting slight rubbing with extra people or big dips on the rear, just where the bumper piece comes around and meets the side fenders. It just comes up a little too high over the tire and it rubs. I'll have mine rolled pretty soon...but gotta get a new alignment first (I need it anyway) and hopefully that will resolve it.
Ugh. You just called me UFHouich

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
bmwbonehead said:
Ugh. You just called me UFHouich
Funny, people are usually calling him a bonehead!:7: j/k UFH.

·
Registered
439 Posts
bodaddy said:
thanks for the insight fellas. If I dont have the spacers in I would be unevenly wearing my tires right. Is the rubbing only on big dips and bumps?
The spacers are mostly for looks...to push the wheel even with the fender...but also help with handling. Spacers have no effect on tire wear. Spacers are not necessary at all, but IMO they make the car look better.

Without the spacers there shouldn't be any rubbing issues as long as you go with a 255/35 20 up front and a 285/30 20 in the rear.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have 305's in the back. No rubbing issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts