BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Rubber seal at top of headlight deteriorating - replaceable?

14K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  gherardini 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've searched realoem and the e39 boards and can't find anything on this. The rubber gasket/seals around the tops of my headlights are deteriorating and need replacing. I just touch the rubber and it is sticky and falling apart. I can't seem to find a part number for them and am afraid they might just be part of the headlights. I think they just serve to seal the hood when it closes over the headlights.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the part if it exists?

Thanks in advance

Dennis

#5 ·
I need to do this as well. Mine are almost completely gone.

#6 ·
They're very easy to swap, with no tools (other than fingers) required. I did it about a year ago in the dealership parking lot--took me two minutes total.

Reactions: Asb9987
#7 ·
Did this include the yoU Ain't Workin' requisite 90sec break before starting?

#10 ·
Did you guys have any condensation prior to replacing these? if so, did it resolve issue? I have condensation in the drivers side, and my gaskets are the same: sticky and falling apart. I read the other posts about how to fix this via drilling small holes, replacing the whole headlight etc...

Thanks!

#11 ·
That part isn't a seal to the light,it only seals between the headlight and hood to direct water over to the side of the hood.

Condensation is water getting in you light somehow.

Best of luck!

#13 ·
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm in the same boat with a 01/00 build date. Part #1 on the RealOEM diagram for earlier build dates is greyed out, which suggests that it isn't replaceable. Has anyone with a pre-09/00 build tried to replace the exterior seal on their headlights?

#14 ·
I can confirm that this is definitely a 2 minute repair. Pull it out of the outside clip first, then the gasket does a few under/over clips along the light case, there's a hook at the inside corner. To replace the new, hook the inside first then just follow the pattern. And that two minutes may include going inside to get a drink of water.

I used PN 63 12 6 908 406 / 63 12 6 908 405 fit the Euro headlights.

Reactions: chowdah
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.