BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that the car rubber bands badly in 2nd gear? It usually happens at lower speed in 2nd when the rear tires go over a moderate bump. You have to engage the clutch in order to stop it, simply easing off the throttle does not help.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Can you please describe rubber banding

G

·
0 Posts
I have also noticed it, particularly over bumps (I would describe it as the car lurching forward and back, as if at the end of a rubber band that keeps getting stretched and released). I attributed it to my lousy shifting, but you have a good point about the DSC. It may be my imagination, but I also notice it less with sport mode engaged.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Actually, there is a way to stop it:

Lighten up ont eh gas pedal a bit. It seems to me that your foot bounces on the pedal as the car "rubber bands," which only complicates the problem. If, in the situation, you treat it as if there's an egg between your foot and the pedal, it'll smooth out very quickly, leaving you to progress onwards.

--Dan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The previous post relates more towards shifting between 1st and 2nd. What I am describing is rubber banding when the car is already in 2nd at low speeds and you go over a bump when accelerating. I usually drive with DSC off, but the rubber banding is more violent than any other car I've driven. Easing off the throttle does not help. You must engage the clutch and wait for the car to regain its composure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've noticed that this issue exists more on cars with high torque motors. Pressing on the clutch will always do the trick.

Tate

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I also feel the drive-by-wire throttle makes a high-torque motor like that of the Beast even less forgiving of "unsmoothness."

Two remedies: put in the clutch, or PUNCH it!

Alps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts