BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if this ever happens to anyones vehicle. At idle here and there, my RPM needle keeps bouncing up and down between 500 and 1000. When it does this little dance, it will sometimes sound like the car is gonna stall with a small "stall pop". It usually happens when the beast has just woken, but it also happens here and there when the engine temp is in the middle.

I told the dealer about this and they asked what gas I was using, which is Chevron '93. I'm assuming they thought the gas may have been of lower grade. Just to be on the safe side, I filled up at a different station last week and the issue is still occurring here and there.

Is this normal for it to occur? Any ideas of what's going on?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sounds like a MAF issue. Have you ever cleaned them? Just go to advance auto parts, buy some MAF cleaner, and spray 'em generously. Any SES light? If no, they probably aren't damaged, and just might be dirty. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mike if you don't mind me asking, what is MAF? Also, no lights are popping on. Thanks!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gonna take it in this afternoon. It's unfortunate they didn't know what the issue is. Oh well.....

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
+1 on the MAF. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sounds like a MAF issue. Have you ever cleaned them? Just go to advance auto parts, buy some MAF cleaner, and spray 'em generously. Any SES light? If no, they probably aren't damaged, and just might be dirty. :M5thumbs:
This sounds exactly like the problem that I have been having. I searched and found some MAF cleaner but I am not really mechanically inclined. Where are my sensors and will I need any tools? To be honest, anything more than a screwdriver and I get a little nervous under the hood - LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts