BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this correct? Started installing the scoops this morning and the right is a different size than the left. Is this right??

·
Registered
907 Posts
Wow, hows that for a quick answer.......

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Thats the way they are.
They are different sizes because the M5 is weird. The right
side intake is inset further than the left side (looking from the
front). When installed they look correct. Originally when RPi
made these they made them the same size but it didn't look right.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, after a quick install and looking things over - the dimensions appear to be the same on both airboxes. I'm thinking that the scoops should be the same size - you can see in the photo that the one on the right sticks out further than the one on the left.

whats up with this? I'm thinking they shipped me an incorrect part.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Mine were the same size.. I don't know what you people are talking about. The air boxes seem the same size to me!

Call them.. they will be happy to help you / correct this if something is wrong.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
They look crooked/cocked to one side. If you are in OC in Cali (as opposed to NY), drive down to RPi. They will re-install it for free.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i thought the same thing when i installed mine. however, after a quick chat with eloy at RPI, they were designed this way. it's actually the improvement over the first design, lets call it 1.0. mine are supposedly 1.3 and the left side is smaller. it's because the stock channeling is not even and this makes up for it. i think.

·
Registered
915 Posts
im not sure but i think mine looks like yours...

mine for sure are right because eloy installed them himself...

:hihi:

Attachments

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
This is correct. When installed, they should look identical. When looked from dead center, they should appear to span exactly the same number of "bars" on that front grill.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
They look crooked/cocked to one side. If you are in OC in Cali (as opposed to NY), drive down to RPi. They will re-install it for free.
ya, I adjusted them after I took a second look. Install was a piece of cake!

and

I just had a chance to test them out!! encountered an E63 while coming home just now and we did about a 60 - 100 run. Very pleased to say that I pulled on him instantly and it stayed that way!! :):):)

Reactions: BD 997

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
Sorry for the late reply guys. The driver side scoops is longer. This was done because the driver side ducting sits farther inside (outwards) than the passenger side. This will allow the scoops to look more asymmetrical behind the grills. Now, the scoops will not be 100% even on both sides but the longer driver side will help even things out when the grill is put back on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts