·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Here is today's dyno. Dynos are as follows:

- stock 386whp
- + ram air 399whp
- headers w/ v1 race pipe 412whp

Im pretty happy with the results considering we are only within 2whp of "other" headers we have tested. Why? Because the hp is similar and our customers will have the option of swapping the stock cats back on. The peak power is great but the amount of midrange power gained is impressive. Now, we are going to bring the transition back 2" and re-dyno the car. If we can pick up another 5whp, I would say, the system is ready for sale. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
WOW!:applause:

Did you give time for the ECU to adapt or is that straight install and dyno?

Very nice!:M5thumbs:
:cheers:
exhaust!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Wow because my car does 414 W/O headers so you are saying I would have a 10hp increase roughly!

Eloy can you also do a run on the Dyno Jet as well if possible I think it will convince more people about the headers as well...

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
WOW!:applause:

Did you give time for the ECU to adapt or is that straight install and dyno?

Very nice!:M5thumbs:
exhaust!
Basically installed, ran for 30 minutes on street and freeway, then dyno.

Wow because my car does 414 W/O headers so you are saying I would have a 10hp increase roughly!

Eloy can you also do a run on the Dyno Jet as well if possible I think it will convince more people about the headers as well...
Its not just the peak hp gained. Take a look at the midrange torque gained. Its near 30ft/lbs! The headers will work even better with aftermarket exhaust so you should see some good numbers.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Looking promising. As Brad mentioned, it would be worth
seeing the equivalent numbers on a dynojet...for the rest of
the folks who live in dynojet land.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Basically installed, ran for 30 minutes on street and freeway, then dyno.

Its not just the peak hp gained. Take a look at the midrange torque gained. Its near 30ft/lbs! The headers will work even better with aftermarket exhaust so you should see some good numbers.

Hey Eloy it looks like around 5700 rpms the baseline hp was 300 and the post header hp was 330. That also means you got 30 hp increase in the high mid range which again is extremely good. We all have to remember that we want useable hp/tq. gains and the most useable gains come in the mid the high mid range from 4500 - 6500 where we get on the power the most.

When you are cruisen on the road and the evil AMG comes along side and you drop her down into the sweet spot gear suddenly you have 30 more horses and 30 ft/lbs. launching you past that evil AMG to the puffed chested victory at the next light life is good and so is RPI!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
When you are cruisen on the road and the evil AMG comes along side and you drop her down into the sweet spot gear suddenly you have 30 more horses and 30 ft/lbs. launching you past that evil AMG to the puffed chested victory at the next light life is good and so is RPI!
Brad,

You writing commercials?:blink:

RPI should start a Church. Set it up in the Baptist genre and espouse the virtues of RPI and its products! Hallelujah, praise Eloy! :hihi:

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Like Brad said, the usable hp/tq from ~5700rpm up to redline looked awsome. It's more constant linear deliverable and pratical than just peak number. I don't need further R&D, I want it as is NOW along with section1/2/3.:thumbsup:

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Hey Eloy, are you saying that those runs were done with header pipe only? And the sec123 were all stock?
Yes, the entire exhaust system is BONE stock, with the addition of our race pipe only.

I know you guys are curious to see the DJ numbers but its really pointless since the gains are what we are most concerned about. The final number doesnt matter that much. Remember, I ran a Dynojet for SEVERAL years so it doesnt make too much sense for me to buy a dyno 3x the cost only to go pay someone else to test it on a machine I used to have. :(

You are right about the tq numbers though. If you look around 5500-5700rpm, the midrange has increased incredibly (28-30+). Remember, this header system, although works well with a stock exhaust system was designed to work even better with our full GT system.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Fak! This is going to be awesome. . . .

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Eloy,

With Header pipe, race cats (sec 1) and your ST sec 2 & 3, is it insanely loud? Any drone?

Also, as far as the header pipe conversion is concerned, I do have a couple of questions:

1. Swapping out could be done with just a lift and some tools? About how many hours (minutes) can a muffler shop do the conversion back to stock?
2. Going to the dealership with the race pipe conversion brackets and primaries intact, what kind of warranty-voiding can they forseeably (sp?) do? Since everything is
"techincally" stock except the brackets.

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Eloy,

With Header pipe, race cats (sec 1) and your ST sec 2 & 3, is it insanely loud? Any drone?

Also, as far as the header pipe conversion is concerned, I do have a couple of questions:

1. Swapping out could be done with just a lift and some tools? About how many hours (minutes) can a muffler shop do the conversion back to stock?
2. Going to the dealership with the race pipe conversion brackets and primaries intact, what kind of warranty-voiding can they forseeably (sp?) do? Since everything is
"techincally" stock except the brackets.
No, its not insanely loud. Our full system is one of the quieter ones out there for the very reason or purpose of combining it with our header package. Those who have heard and rode in our car can attest to the little to no drone aspect.

1. The bottom cover has to be removed (not a hard job, just basic tools). Once the cover is taken off, the front part of the exhaust drops as you will have to unbolt the flange and disconnect the exhaust from the race pipe. From the racepipe to the header, there is only a v-band clamp which comes off in seconds. Total time is about 30min to 1 hour.

2. AGAIN, ANY modification to the header WILL void the warrant on your header...PERIOD. Are they going to see it? Most likely not since there is just a flange and clamp towards the top end. If they are doing stuff with that part of the exhaust system then they will see it. All the brackets used for the race pipe are factory.

Although our header solution looks "factory", it was not made or designed to NOT void any warranties from your dealership. The design was made purely for performance and to give people the option of putting the stock cat back on without paying 16 hours in labor.

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
is your vanos problem solved?
You are not going to believe this, but the VANOs oil pump gear stripped and sent metal fragments all through the lower end of the engine. When they pulled the oil filter, there was metal chunks in the filter.

Long story short, BMW authorized a complete new engine for me and I'm breaking it in now. . . . . freaking crazy. It's not a rebuild or refurb, but a complete new engine. The good news is that it feels MUCH MUCH stronger and smoother on the lower end so far. Have a few more hundred miles to go for my 1200 mile service before I can really open her up.

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
You are not going to believe this, but the VANOs oil pump gear stripped and sent metal fragments all through the lower end of the engine. When they pulled the oil filter, there was metal chunks in the filter.

Long story short, BMW authorized a complete new engine for me and I'm breaking it in now. . . . . freaking crazy. It's not a rebuild or refurb, but a complete new engine. The good news is that it feels MUCH MUCH stronger and smoother on the lower end so far. Have a few more hundred miles to go for my 1200 mile service before I can really open her up.
Yeah it sounded pretty freaky. haha. Good thing we caught it in time though and everything worked out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah it sounded pretty freaky. haha. Good thing we caught it in time though and everything worked out.
Thanks for your support and letting me keep the car in your shop until I could figure it all out. . . . . RPI FTW!!

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Thanks for your support and letting me keep the car in your shop until I could figure it all out. . . . . RPI FTW!!
It was really no problem AT ALL. Im just glad everything worked out. I would have felt better with the car there anyways. IT would have sucked if you had to call AAA or some one to tow the car.

81 - 100 of 157 Posts