BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allow me to first start by thanking RPi, especially Eloy for being one of the most professional people I've encountered. They are absolutely amazing. Their loyalty & commitment to their customers is far beyond imagination. Not only are their products amazingly well tested and engineered, but their customer service is by far one of the BEST:applause:.

Two days ago, I took my car to my dealer to install the headers as well as adding additional CF accessories (to be discussed in a separate thread). I've witnessed the entire process of the removal & installation of the headers. Damn, that is one of the longest and toughest job I've ever observed. It required a lot of concentration & patience. Believe it or not, the entire procedure took almost 7 hours to remove my old headers and install the new ones. You might believe that I'm exaggerating as 7 hours is quite little for such a big job. In fact, I've timed it myself not to mention that 4 workers took part in the process to expedite this difficult task. I know that this process normally takes 16+ labor hours and for those who have aftermarket headers, I feel really sorry for you:crying:. It is quite a hassle as every time you need to take the smog test, you need to pass through the same annoying procedure not forgetting the extra costs. I do however highly suggest getting the RPI Headers and go through the process only 1 time.<O:p</O:p

After the installation was complete (mind you that I have the AA ECU Software) no CEL or any other errors were witnessed. The beast sounded a bit louder at cold start considering that I also have the Eisenmann Race Mufflers. The sound gradually diminished as the car was warming up. A point worth mentioning is that at one point some smoke appeared and a bit of burnt smell filled the garage. This is absolutely normal as the headers were painted and it eventually went away. You only needed to drive for approx. 5-10 min and all the smoke went away.<O:p></O:p>

Now for the part you've all been anxiously waiting to hear. Personally, every time I had a new mod installed in the beast I would set the mode to P400, DSC Off, & S6 to tell if I could feel any gains considering that at P500 Sport the beast was already powerful and minor mods wouldn't be sensed. All I can say is WOW!!!:biggrinbounce: From all the mods that I have, this is by far the best felt mod from a seat of the pants standpoint. The car pulled and pulled and kept pulling extremely strong (mind you I was still at P400 mode). It was absolutely a total different car. It felt a lot more than gaining 25+whp to the extent I forgot I was driving in P400 mode. Then I switched to P500 Sport, DSC Off, & S6 and hell broke loose. OH MY GOD:eek:oohhh:. I couldn't actually believe I was still driving an M5. No matter what I tell you, words can not express the joy I felt. Man oh man; I can assure you that it would take me a time to adjust to the power and handling. After this mod, I guarantee you that for the time being I wouldn't make any additional performance modifications. This is by far the sickest mod. I've ever did to the beast. For now, I can't imagine handling any additional power. May be, and only may be in the future I might consider NOS, TT Kit or a supercharger. I know that by nature, we are mods greedy and we always want more. All I can say is that for the time being I DON'T WANT MORE:3:. I'm extremely satisfied with the outcome and recommend everyone who doesn't have their headers upgraded & even the ones with aftermarket headers to GET IT NOW! It is absolutely worth every single penny I've paid for.

For those who are wondering if I've performed before/after dyno testing, the answer is NO. Here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</st1:City>Riyadh</ST1:p, I only know one place who has a dyno and I don't quite trust them to test my beast. You never know, if the person who's dynoing your car isn't quite professional and experienced, you might damage the car. We are however, going to have a professional dyno coming soon. May be then I will let you know how strong the beast runs. For now, I don't mind giving me a vague idea with the bolt on mods I have (check my signature) what whp I'm looking at.

<O:p</O:p
One more thing I forgot to mention is the sound of the beast. I felt that now it finally crossed the stage of puberty and went into the manhood phase lol. Soon I will post some videos & pictures of the beast but only after I return from my holiday sometime next month. I feel like I've invested a lot in the beast and in a way overlooked my priorities (my family).

Enough said. Allow me now to take a cruise in the beast and terrify the city of <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pRiyadh</ST1:p</st1:City>.:sprint00:

Eloy, thank you once again for all the professional support and in making this happen.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
Im very happy that you like the headers. I know they are a little more costly than some of the other ones out there but when it comes time to smog, it will all be worth it. :) What you are probably noticing is the 28whp and 32qtq gain we have seen consistently with the addition of those headers. Enjoy........safely. hehe

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Welcome to the CLUB:cheers:
The beast definitely pull harder but also smoother for me when I switched from Evosport to RPI. Before it just the head that jerking, but now the whole body just shift backward. :thumbsup:

I'm sure people have seen this, but...http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/125374-m5-header-dyno-comparison-headers-exhaust.html

I can't imagine what would it be like switching from stock to RPI, but when i switched from evosport to RPI, still big different.

Enjoy and be safe.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Damm...now i want one!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hi Doul, could you describe the sound of the rpi header during normal city driving, wot, etc. I had the evosport headers with my E-race, and sold the evo headers as i find it too loud for my taste. During normal driving, resonance between 2.5k-4k rpm is unacceptable. Do you experience this with you RPI header and E-race muffler setup? Your experience is highly aprreciated. How about posting ur video clip?:cheers:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
DOUL I am glad you are happy.

Now I've asked the question before. What are the RPI headers. Can I see a pic of these headers because I'm confused.

Ranger

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Damn :eek:oohhh: that's good numbers...Congrats to RPI for making the kit and DOUL for a great review:cheers:

Im very happy that you like the headers. I know they are a little more costly than some of the other ones out there but when it comes time to smog, it will all be worth it. :) What you are probably noticing is the 28whp and 32qtq gain we have seen consistently with the addition of those headers. Enjoy........safely. hehe

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Great write up and awesome results; congrats to you and RPI.

Now go show Darren_Dallas how to write a review for his Dinan motor. hahaha

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your support. So far I've filled my tank twice and still can't get enough of the thrill. For those who are deciding on getting new headers or are confused with which headers to switch to, RPI GT Headers is exactly what you're looking for.

Gasterus, prior to installing the headers, my beast was quite loud as I have the Eisenmann Race Mufflers. Out of all people you should now how the Eisenmann Race Mufflers sound like. They are by nature quite loud but not the annoying loud (F1 sound) especially at cold start. However, in the cockpit the sound was quite acceptable in comparison to the people outside. When I've installed the headers, it is very normal for the sound to become a bit more aggressive as the Cats were deleted. Even if your exhaust set up was stock and you only deleted the Cats, the sound would also become more aggressive. Personally, if I have my windows closed, the sound in the cockpit is very acceptable. I took my wife for a spin (didn't tell her I did the headers set up) and she didn't even notice the change in the sound. I however like to keep the windows open as I can't get enough of the aggressive sound. It is definitely music to my ears. As stated earlier, upon returning from my vacation, I will post some videos and may be then you can decide if the sound is acceptable for you. As for the Evos headers, I really don't know how they sound like with the Eisenmann Race Mufflers. May be Eloy can chime in and tell you if there is a remarkable difference in sound between Evos & RPI.<O:p</O:p

R tuned, let’s meet soon as I'm traveling early next week. You're going to love the headers (not only sound wise but performance wise as well)

RPI, no matter how many times I thank you it is never enough. Thank you once again for making my dreams come true. You are truly my :goldcup:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Thank you all for your support. So far I've filled my tank twice and still can't get enough of the thrill. For those who are deciding on getting new headers or are confused with which headers to switch to, RPI GT Headers is exactly what you're looking for.

Gasterus, prior to installing the headers, my beast was quite loud as I have the Eisenmann Race Mufflers. Out of all people you should now how the Eisenmann Race Mufflers sound like. They are by nature quite loud but not the annoying loud (F1 sound) especially at cold start. However, in the cockpit the sound was quite acceptable in comparison to the people outside. When I've installed the headers, it is very normal for the sound to become a bit more aggressive as the Cats were deleted. Even if your exhaust set up was stock and you only deleted the Cats, the sound would also become more aggressive. Personally, if I have my windows closed, the sound in the cockpit is very acceptable. I took my wife for a spin (didn't tell her I did the headers set up) and she didn't even notice the change in the sound. I however like to keep the windows open as I can't get enough of the aggressive sound. It is definitely music to my ears. As stated earlier, upon returning from my vacation, I will post some videos and may be then you can decide if the sound is acceptable for you. As for the Evos headers, I really don't know how they sound like with the Eisenmann Race Mufflers. May be Eloy can chime in and tell you if there is a remarkable difference in sound between Evos & RPI.<O:p</O:p

R tuned, let’s meet soon as I'm traveling early next week. You're going to love the headers (not only sound wise but performance wise as well)

RPI, no matter how many times I thank you it is never enough. Thank you once again for making my dreams come true. You are truly my :goldcup:
Hi Doul, thank you for your reply! I will be looking forward to your vidclip. I've had the evosport headers with the E-race, and it turns the F1ish sound characteristic into a big bore V8 muscle car. :applause:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

Hi Doul, thank you for your reply! I will be looking forward to your vidclip. I've had the evosport headers with the E-race, and it turns the F1ish sound characteristic into a big bore V8 muscle car. :applause:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Gasterus, I don't believe the RPI headers eliminate the F1 sound. On the contrary, it was still there but more aggressive. I'm sure when you watch my videos you're going to fall in love with themlovelove.

Today, I've taken my wife for a spin. Trust me it wasn't only a spin.:hihi: Mind you that I still haven't told her about the headers. This time I had the beast set in P500 Sport, DSC Off, & S6 mode. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, gear and I looked over to see my wife's expression and she was like :eek:h:. I've asked, if she felt anything different with my car, and she's like my neck hurts:grinyes: She's like the car suddenly felt extremely strong. Trust me that moment was priceless. :tearsofjoy:

Gasterus, my wife never complained about the exhaust sound. She still thinks it sounds the same. The sound inside the cabin is still acceptable in comparison to the previous sound of the Eisenmann Race Mufflers.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those who are wondering if I've performed before/after dyno testing, the answer is NO. Here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</st1:City>Riyadh</ST1:p, I only know one place who has a dyno and I don't quite trust them to test my beast. You never know, if the person who's dynoing your car isn't quite professional and experienced, you might damage the car. We are however, going to have a professional dyno coming soon. May be then I will let you know how strong the beast runs. For now, I don't mind giving me a vague idea with the bolt on mods I have (check my signature) what whp I'm looking at.

Guys, I did an extensive search to see what the gains I'm looking at with my bolt on performance mods and managed to get these figures:
  1. RPI GT Headers: 28whp & 32ft/lbs
  2. RPI ST Pulley: 18-22whp & ?ft/lbs
  3. RPI RAM Air Kit: 10-15whp & ?ft/lbs
  4. Block Off Plates 5-7whp & ?ft/lbs
  5. AA ECU 0whp & 0ft/lbs
Estimated Total: 61-72whp & 32ft/lbs-?ft/lbs

For the sake of comparison with other modified cars, I'd very much appreciate in giving me the closest possible torque figures (ft/lbs) for the above mentioned mods. Assuming the above figures are correct, what would the crank hp be i.e. what should the conservative & extreme drive train loss be, 17% conservative & 22% extreme?:1zhelp:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Guys, I did an extensive search to see what the gains I'm looking at with my bolt on performance mods and managed to get these figures:
  1. RPI GT Headers: 28whp & 32ft/lbs
  2. RPI ST Pulley: 18-22whp & ?ft/lbs
  3. RPI RAM Air Kit: 10-15whp & ?ft/lbs
  4. Block Off Plates 5-7whp & ?ft/lbs
  5. AA ECU 0whp & 0ft/lbs
Estimated Total: 61-72whp & 32ft/lbs-?ft/lbs

For the sake of comparison with other modified cars, I'd very much appreciate in giving me the closest possible torque figures (ft/lbs) for the above mentioned mods. Assuming the above figures are correct, what would the crank hp be i.e. what should the conservative & extreme drive train loss be, 17% conservative & 22% extreme?:1zhelp:
DOUL please allow me offer some info:

These different mods you describe and their gains ARE NOT ADDITIVE.
In reality the gains from each mod does not add together for your total gains. That is a false accessment.

The total synergy of the engine works in a different way. All the mods achieve their peak hp gains at different rpm levels and how they form their synergy is not what we wish as per individual gains of each mod.

It is disappointing but sadly the truth.

If you want to believe your numbers and addition well put it on the dyno and see what happens.

Cheers,
Ranger

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Gasterus, I don't believe the RPI headers eliminate the F1 sound. On the contrary, it was still there but more aggressive. I'm sure when you watch my videos you're going to fall in love with themlovelove.

Today, I've taken my wife for a spin. Trust me it wasn't only a spin.:hihi: Mind you that I still haven't told her about the headers. This time I had the beast set in P500 Sport, DSC Off, & S6 mode. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, gear and I looked over to see my wife's expression and she was like :eek:h:. I've asked, if she felt anything different with my car, and she's like my neck hurts:grinyes: She's like the car suddenly felt extremely strong. Trust me that moment was priceless. :tearsofjoy:

Gasterus, my wife never complained about the exhaust sound. She still thinks it sounds the same. The sound inside the cabin is still acceptable in comparison to the previous sound of the Eisenmann Race Mufflers.
Hi Doul, i've heard a soundclip of the Rpi full exhaust setup with their headers. And i love their headers because it retains the F1ish sound. When i had the evosport headers, it changes the sound characteristic. I would love the hear a sound clip of rpi headers with the e-race that you have. Cheers:cheers:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts