BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car sat for about a week, then went to start it up today and notice a engine knocking noise and vibration that lasted about 15 seconds and then smoothed out. I then noticed the service oil indicator with one bar only so I immediately turned the car off. I checked the oil dip stick which seemed to be OK but went ahead and added a quart just to be safe. Started the car, sounded fine, drove it around to get the temp up and then re-checked the dip stick and it reads right in the middle of the two lines. So not sure what to do at this point. The car seems to be running well but every time I start the car it shows the service oil indicator. Any ideas? Is it safe to be driving my car?
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
It's suppose to show you the indicator bars every time you start the car.

The knock/ticking on first start up after sitting is common.

As for your oil, how many miles still the last oil change? To make sure your level is correct, drive the car for a 1/2 hr and make sure it's fully warm, and then follow the procedure for checking the level. Sounds like you were actually low on oil, but not low enough to cause any problems. The noise you heard is not attributed to oil level but rather that residual oil that normally stays "in the engine" had drained down to the pan. Then, when you started it that oil had to find it's way back to soften the mechanical action of the pieces and parts in the upper engine area and that took a few seconds to occur.

Make sense?

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
The service indicator (oil/inspection) is just a fancy timer that reminds you about general maintenance intervals. If you perform your own routine service, then you can either reset this indicator yourself, or ignore it. If you don't, then your mechanic should reset after he's done.

The only warning for actual low oil level inside the cabin is from the OBC, which would say "check engine oil level." That would be accompanied by a chime and those "trouble" arrows. The best practice is to check oil habitually via the dipstick, using the method in the manual.

The startup noise is explained in the FAQ sticky, under Engine. Your car is fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You both for the great information. I will do a search to reset the indicator since yes I do my own oil change every 5-7K miles. I am relieved to here that what I experienced is normal.
Thanks again.
Steve

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
These cars don't like to sit. I try to make sure my two "project" M5's are started & driven up to full operating temp at least once every week. Left one sitting for 3-4 months once and it sounded horrible at first.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I stopped paying attention to the service indicator about 100,000 miles ago....

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Oil/service indicator doesn't mean you should add oil, simply an X amount of fuel has churned through the FPR, mileage will vary depending on how you drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts