BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys Im new here and I have a question....as I am driving in m mode with the car set in p500 sport and everything set to max, as I shift with the paddle shifters it sounds like the transmission is banging into gear,(like there is a thud that comes from the trunk when I upshift.....) could this be due to the way Im shifting or is this normal....and if so is there any trick to working the shift

Let me say I am beginner when it comes to high performance cars as I am only 18 so take it easy on me.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Alright guys Im new here and I have a question....as I am driving in m mode with the car set in p500 sport and everything set to max, as I shift with the paddle shifters it sounds like the transmission is banging into gear,(like there is a thud that comes from the trunk when I upshift.....) could this be due to the way Im shifting or is this normal....and if so is there any trick to working the shift

Let me say I am beginner when it comes to high performance cars as I am only 18 so take it easy on me.
Whos M5 r u driving?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine buddy....I just traded in my 335i and payed the difference.... I have 1101 miles on it and I am still learning how to perfect my shifts in M mode with the stiffness on 5..!

Canysmc can that be done on an 08 M5...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also does the car usaully jerk like that when you shift or is that just my ****ty shifting.

·
Registered
365 Posts
When the settings are full blast (S6/DSC off/P500S ect..) gear changes can be pretty violent at higher rpms. Try the throttle lift technique, lift a little after you select a gear.

I personally don't mind the violence when my foot is planted, its my passengers that do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FloridaBmw, yeah that is the problem when im going pedal to the metal pushing 140 and upshifting there tends to be thud noise with the gear change...I guess that is normal.... What part of florida are you in....

Plus still that recalibration of the clutch sounds good but I still dont know if you can do it with an 2008

·
Registered
365 Posts
It is normal, I've read suggestions to reset the SMG every 1k miles. I've done it once on my 2008 with 6k+ miles.

I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Goodstuff buddy...Im up here in Ocala/Gainseville area....do you know of any events here in Florida that you take the M5 to...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They already gave me the 1000-1200 mile service(with the break in oil)...and by s-6 you mean the shifting stiffness..!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
M5roth that could be a good assumption but the fact that I never drove a manual car before may be true, but Ive been driving for a lot longer than two years buddy.

FloridaBmw it makes sense....thanks for the help and Ill try the recalibration either tonight or tommorow and see how it goes...thanks again.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Good luck Florida!:eek:

Ooooh. . . I was referring to the up coming primaries.ouich
:byebye:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

Is this a serious question?

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
A little off-topic, but why would you have regular 5 and M5 at the same time? I would say dump the regular 5 and mod the hell out of your M5.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I didnt know that there was a limit on what can be asked....and I thought this was a M5 forum that was for car enthusiasts.

Keang24, I love the 5 series and I want to mod the M5 but I thought it would be a good decision to put at least 5000 miles on it before that happens

·
Registered
728 Posts
i think that because your so young it is hard to believe for some that you are for "real" and not just trolling. if have pics of your m5 that would be nice. i for one think that it is possible to be 18 and own a m5 but i would think that such a young guy with that kind of money would tend to purchase something like a porsche or other sports car. (unless of course you started having kids at 16 and having to carry around kids in the back! lol). when i was younger i had a lot of friends that had rich parents from overseas and a few of them had ferraris and lambos purchased cash for them before could even legally buy cigarettes or alchohal. good luck to you.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.