BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm perplexed. I had what seemed to be the common issue of rough start and idle after filling up with gas. I searched in the forum and decided to change the charcoal vent canister in the passenger wheel well. I also took the time to change the plugs (didn't break any of the coils!), the air filters, changed the oil, transmission fluid, and rear end fluid. I also took the time to turn on the pump in the transmission to clear out all the fluid and finished up with an adaptation.

After all was said and done, the car started well and ran well. The day after I filled up the tank and it had a hard time to start. It turned over at least 5 times before cranking and has continued to get progressively worse. It has stalled twice and starts very poorly.

One thing I did not change was the electronic valve on the charcoal canister. Should this have been changed?

Any ideas?? Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Could be a vacuum leak. You removed a lot of lines to replace the components you did.

It's entirely possible an idle air intake line is loose on either end, an oil return line is loose, or a vacuum line to the tank vent is loose.

If you have DIS, INPA, or ISTA/D there is a DMTL test and a vacuum drop test you can perform. If those pass, you can look at the plenum connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts