BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd time it happened in the last week, both times i downshifted and revved hard. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I hear this happens to cars that havent been driven hard in a while but I might be wrong. I notice this smell from new cars usually when test drivin them :grinyes:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i drive it like i stole it at least once a day :)

I hear this happens to cars that havent been driven hard in a while but I might be wrong. I notice this smell from new cars usually when test drivin them :grinyes:
out of my total 50-60 minutes in the car, i do rip it close to redline at least 3-4 times.

·
Registered
259 Posts
catalytic converter(s).

Causes
A rotten egg smell is often related to sulfur. In this particular case, it is possible the catalytic converter contains a buildup of sulfur. The root cause of the odor is usually worn or overworked parts.

Read more: Egg Smell in a Catalytic Converter | eHow.com Egg Smell in a Catalytic Converter | eHow.com

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it.

catalytic converter(s).

Causes
A rotten egg smell is often related to sulfur. In this particular case, it is possible the catalytic converter contains a buildup of sulfur. The root cause of the odor is usually worn or overworked parts.

Read more: Egg Smell in a Catalytic Converter | eHow.com Egg Smell in a Catalytic Converter | eHow.com
The car has just gotten to 31K miles. Is it normal for the cats to go this soon?

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
catalytic converter(s).

Causes

Yes sir.

Excellent diagnosis. BRAVO.

+1000

George:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
There's a federal law that covers cats. The bigger question is: why is your car melting cats? Blind guess: it's running rich.

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
There's a federal law that covers cats. The bigger question is: why is your car melting cats? Blind guess: it's running rich.
It is running rich or it is not running correctly and unburnt fuel enters the cats and burns there ?

I still do not understand why he is not taking the car to the dealer IMMEDIATELY, since the underlying cause could be

potentially serious.

George

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Why r u guys pushing the panic button?

It is running rich or it is not running correctly and unburnt fuel enters the cats and burns there ?

I still do not understand why he is not taking the car to the dealer IMMEDIATELY, since the underlying cause could be

potentially serious.

George
The car is under warranty so if something is going wrong it will be ok.

p.s. Running rich means more fuel than necessary or not enough air, right?

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts

p.s. Running rich means more fuel than necessary or not enough air, right?
Correct.

No panic button here dear friend. I just want to help and point out that cats with problems at 31k is far from normal.

With friendly regards,

George

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
If they can show you were aware of an issue and did not bring it in right away, they can deny you warranty coverage because you could have caused necessary damage by not bringing it in. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good point. That's why I brought it in.

If they can show you were aware of an issue and did not bring it in right away, they can deny you warranty coverage because you could have caused necessary damage by not bringing it in. Just a thought.
The dealer foreman said that even a batch of bad gas can cause this. The DME showed no codes, car drives 'mint' according to him. At least, i have that in writing, If something does surface later, I can show that I detected it and they did nothing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have this occur after short bursts of hard driving also. Goes away really fast. Dealer said there is no issue with my cats. Car doesnt have that many miles either.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Causes
A rotten egg smell is often related to sulfur.
If you drive the car hard only occasionally, it may scare the crap out of you, releasing gaseous sulphur. ;- )

1 - 20 of 24 Posts