BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already know my attempts to describe my issue will likely fail....however...

For about 2-3 weeks now I have been noticing an intermittent noise coming from the rear of the car. Only when the car is moving....sounds like metal scraping on metal and has the same rhythm a rock stuck in your tire tread would have. "sheek sheek sheek sheek...." depending on vehicle speed. It comes and goes for seemingly no reason, and sometimes it's worse than others. I will try to capture the sound in a video somehow. I don't feel anything out of the ordinary...no vibration, car handles normally etc. I've tried to do a quick visual check around the rear axle but can't see anything without the car on a lift.

Has anyone experienced this or somehow understanding what I'm describing and give me a possible diagnosis? I asked the INDY to check it out when they installed my pads/rotors last week but I think they forgot to check and I forgot to ask about it. But again, it's random so it could have been fine when they checked?? :confused2

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had this sort of sound in the past. Check your rear sway bar brackets. If you haven't replaced them with the TC design brackets, I suggest you do. Other suggestion is the handbrake adjustment, since you mentioned that you had new pads etc.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had this sort of sound in the past. Check your rear sway bar brackets. If you haven't replaced them with the TC design brackets, I suggest you do. Other suggestion is the handbrake adjustment, since you mentioned that you had new pads etc.
Good luck.
I have reinforced sway brackets, they are in good shape. And this was occurring before I changed my pads and rotors.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Did you change or adjust the handbrake shoes? They sit inside the hub of the rear discs and might just need greasing as they might stick on occasion

Reactions: JCM55555

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Wheel bearings if it is directly proportional with speed. Jack up the rear of your car, and rotate the wheels, and listen to any roughness in motion.

Reactions: JCM55555 and ard

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Very likely the backing plate making contact with the brake disc...

+1 ive had this problem. People do it all the time when they do front brakes, but with the rear i had it too even though i havent touched the rear brakes. The dust shield was making slight contact with the rear of the rotor, so i bent it out and so far so good.

·
Registered
595 Posts

For about 2-3 weeks now I have been noticing an intermittent noise coming from the rear of the car. Only when the car is moving....sounds like metal scraping on metal and has the same rhythm a rock stuck in your tire tread would have. "sheek sheek sheek sheek...." depending on vehicle speed. It comes and goes for seemingly no reason, and sometimes it's worse than others. I will try to capture the sound in a video somehow. I don't feel anything out of the ordinary...no vibration, car handles normally etc. I've tried to do a quick visual check around the rear axle but can't see anything without the car on a lift.

Has anyone experienced this or somehow understanding what I'm describing and give me a possible diagnosis? I asked the INDY to check it out when they installed my pads/rotors last week but I think they forgot to check and I forgot to ask about it. But again, it's random so it could have been fine when they checked?? :confused2
wheel bearing??

·
Registered
595 Posts

wheel bearing??

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll get it off the ground this week and look into your suggestions....big thanks to everyone's input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts