BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:1:

Well it took a long time to sort and what alot got replaced before I got it! (from AC to Springs and new Discs) Was in Warranty and has now expired and BMW not interested with 126k on.

The only issue I have is a clonking with the idle and also when you shut the engine off. Dual mass flywheel? I think the clutch might be slipping a bit as well.

Anyone have any ideas on gearbox/flywheel nocking/clonking on lumpy idle and also when engine stops.

Or 'do they all do that sir'

Supreme at motorway speeds and a natural fit around the higher end of the speedo. Alot more raw and 'fun' than my E39 but less resolved around town.

Aprreciate any ideas

Cheers

M5Sime

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
M5Sime said:
Anyone have any ideas on gearbox/flywheel nocking/clonking on lumpy idle and also when engine stops.

Or 'do they all do that sir'
They all do that, Sir.

The rattle when you turn the engine off is a characteristic of the Dual-mass flywheel. It goes away if you turn the engine off with the clutch pedal pressed.

The idle clatter from the gearbox is a nasty characteristic of the six-speed box.

They all do it, except my green LE, since I changed the gearbox oil for Redline D4 ATF with 100ml of Molybdenum Sulphate. It's barely audible at all now. You can buy the Moly stuff in Halfords.

This combination vastly improved the feel of the shifting too, over the Dexron III ATF I used last time.

Looks nice in that picture, btw. Have you just bought it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Just today. It has been a long saga and after a few inspections including mine has had loads of stuff done!

New Front Springs
New spring pad
New Door check strap
New Front Foglight glass
New discs and Pads all the way around (the 120 quid front floating discs)
New Fluids (oil, coolant, brakes)
New exhaust emissions valve to quieten it
New Propshaft coupling
Replaced rear subframe bushes
Exhaust bracket
New AC compressor and re-gas (I pushed on checking the AC)
Dampers checked and ok
So no Warranty, but hey the wear and tear argument was going to be a problem. Had new front shocks some 30k ago and on original rears ;-0

Aftermarket Sony Radio has reception issues and seen the thread on the rear screen aerial. Have just bought a new Alpine HE and Infinity speakers. Looking at the Eisenmann sports exhaust but 600 quid fitted basically.. hmmm

Sounds meaty anyway.

Steering quite light all the time
Great at speed, good ride on the 18's prob as good or better than my E39.

Chattery idle could be noisy injectors - normal as well apparently.

So I can ignore the clunking as not a faulty dual mass flywheel. Have you ever had a clutch done?

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AndyE said:
Sime, here are some of mine, taken earlier in the week with a view to selling. At the moment, I've just contacted people who expressed an interest in it in the past.

http://www.b1a.co.uk/andy/M5/gallery.htm
Jeez, that is lovelly.. What a great look. The clear front indicators on the dark green work so well... What front lights do you have as they are not standard ones I think..

I have seen the E34 Angel Eye set available... Are they these??

Cheers

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
M5Sime said:
What front lights do you have as they are not standard ones I think..
You're quite right, they're not. I made them, they're Merc E500 Xenon projectors and reflectors in e34 housings but with clear glass lenses. They look quite different to standard, but not bad. They're so bright too! Amazing light output.

Here's the original thread when I made them. I've actually dismantled and rebuilt them since, because one was leaking a little bit, and the clear glass lenses were fitted just a few months ago.

http://forum.bmwcarmagazine.com/topic2.asp?TOPIC_ID=21522

It's interesting that you prefer the look of the clear front indicators. I was actually considering getting some orange ones!

Lastly, the bling-bling-tastic E34 angel eyes are these. Some people like them, but I think they're tacky in the extreme... :hihi:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rob Plummer said:
Keep the reports coming Sime!

I'm sure there are plenty more than just me who want to hear your opinions now you've traded UP from an E39! :blink:
Well Rob, of course the E39 is a much more modern feeling car. The double glazing, fat man seats with no lateral grip, steering wheel that blocks the dials (pre 2001 model) and the engine note of a diesel means an odd anodyne experience. Of course a huge V8, 19MPG and 400 BHP is never going to be the same. They are not easy to drive in town, too much torque and stop start is tough (The Press Chap that had one talked about this as well and says the smoothest guys are the ones pulling away in 2nd)

My new LE may be slightly past it with all those 340 ponies now out for a graze, but the fact you have to wind the six right up is the biggest difference. If you go up against an E39, he flexes in 6th on the motorway and you are going from 6th to 4th and booting it.

For me the intimacy, rawness, sounds and feel of the E34 make the car feel smaller and more nimble. The ride seems a bit clonky on the 18s (even in P mode).

The V8 is a little fragile though, munches oil and needs some warranty backup. I had a few things done and also new Mass airflow sensors when I got a full beans 'safe mode' triggering.. I thought I bent the valves!

Fitting Mich PS2 Sports was not a great idea as the front ride got worse and felt like you had a puncture (the fact that the tyre warning system will not tolerate the tyres being replaced identically on the same axle gives plenty of false starts).

Oh and I had a blowout as well on the M3 and toasted the rear boot. No spare !

I loved the car, but it lost 10k in just under 2 yrs (main dealer to trade+ pricing) and was just too ordinary! I really dream of a 996 porsche I think and then I might have got up on Sunday and washed the car!!!!

So - stick to your E34s, never sell them and then save up and buy a 996 Porsche. The E39 is always going to need a fully paid-up BMW warranty. That V8 is a beast that could never be replaced with normal money and the dual VANOS is an issue awaiting to happen!!

At least the E34 is now sensible for a total rebuild. Just a bit 80's tastic inside!

My thoughts anyway!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AndyE said:
Lastly, the bling-bling-tastic E34 angel eyes are these. Some people like them, but I think they're tacky in the extreme... :hihi:
I think so also, but interested in what you have done. What I did consider (and like the look of) is trying to cannibalise some E46 coupe LED rear lights and making them work in the E34 rear enclosure...

Alot of chopping though... What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Welcome to the board,

Always nice to hear of a new E34 M5 Member - not too many trading 'up' from an e39 these days.

Also good to track down another UK LE - Not heard about No.22 Rosso before.

You may be interested to know that No.22 on the dash doesn't mean No.22 in the production run - check your chassis number against the Final Production run for the 'real' indicator of when your car was made in the series :-

GE00323 Orinoco Green ( First LE built ) - Start of Production - March '95
GE00324 Rosso Red

GE00325 Rosso Red - 02/50 - 'M5Powered' - Last March '95 Production
GE00326 Orinoco Green - First April '95 Production
GE00327 Orinoco Green
GE00328 Orinoco Green
GE00329 Orinoco Green
GE00330 Rosso Red
GE00331 Rosso Red
GE00332 Orinoco Green
GE00333 Orinoco Green
GE00334 Orinoco Green
GE00335 Orinoco Green - 14/50 - 'AndyE'
GE00336 Orinoco Green
GE00337 Rosso Red
GE00338 Rosso Red
GE00339 Rosso Red
GE00340 Rosso Red
GE00341 Rosso Red
GE00342 Rosso Red
GE00343 Rosso Red - Last April '95 Production
GE00344 Rosso Red - First May '95 Production
GE00345 Rosso Red
GE00346 Orinoco Green
GE00347 Rosso Red
GE00348 Orinoco Green
GE00349 Orinoco Green
GE00350 Orinoco Green
GE00351 Orinoco Green
GE00352 Orinoco Green
GE00353 Orinoco Green
GE00354 Orinoco Green
GE00355 Rosso Red
GE00356 Orinoco Green
GE00357 Orinoco Green
GE00358 Orinoco Green - 33/50 - 'Zippy'
GE00359 Orinoco Green - 35/50 - Me !
GE00360 Orinoco Green
GE00361 Orinoco Green
GE00362 Orinoco Green
GE00363 Orinoco Green
GE00364 Orinoco Green
GE00365 Orinoco Green
GE00366 Orinoco Green
GE00367 Orinoco Green
GE00368 Orinoco Green
GE00369 Orinoco Green
GE00370 Orinoco Green
GE00371 Orinoco Green - Last May '95 Production
GE00372 Orinoco Green ( Last LE built ) - Production Date Fri 2 June 1995 - Only Car Produced in June 1995

06/50 Rosso is currently for sale on eBay :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4541952653&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

34/50 Orinoco is currently up for grabs at Munich Legends :- www.munichlegends.com

01/50 Orinoco was known to be owned by Richard Fathers on this board (Is it Still - Not herard for a while ?).

02/50 Rosso is owned by board member 'M5Powered'

50/50 is known to be owned by board member E34#SE50 - but I don't think this is chassis # 372 - the last car - as it is a Rosso.

Good Luck !

TK.

·
Registered
576 Posts
[Hi Andy,great mod.where did you get clear lenses from,interested in doing the same myself :M5eyes:
It's interesting that you prefer the look of the clear front indicators. I was actually

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Wayne

The lenses came from a chap called George Koo on eBay. Here's one of his auctions. Later, I bought another four lenses in case they get cracked by stonechips (I've lost three factory lenses that way!)

If he doesn't have any listed at the moment, just email him to ask for some. I paid $94 for four lenses including USPS express shipping (five days).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7956719569

Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
970 Posts
I bought and fitted a set of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10374&item=4533390950

Look great and other than drilling a 25mm hole in the back of the existing cover there was no other modification. Massive improvement on the orginal, using existing equipment.

AndyE said:
Wayne

The lenses came from a chap called George Koo on eBay. Here's one of his auctions. Later, I bought another four lenses in case they get cracked by stonechips (I've lost three factory lenses that way!)

If he doesn't have any listed at the moment, just email him to ask for some. I paid $94 for four lenses including USPS express shipping (five days).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7956719569

Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
yewcorner said:
I bought and fitted a set of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10374&item=4533390950

Look great and other than drilling a 25mm hole in the back of the existing cover there was no other modification. Massive improvement on the orginal, using existing equipment.
I'm not sure why the seller is saying 8000k is standard as 4300k is normal.

You actually get less visible light from 8000k as it removes most of the red/amber/yellow from the spectrum to make it a blue light rather than white.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
50/50 is actually '324', surprise ? :typing:
-

FinalEditionE34M5 said:
Welcome to the board,

GE00323 Orinoco Green ( First LE built ) - Start of Production - March '95
GE00324 Rosso Red

GE00325 Rosso Red - 02/50 - 'M5Powered' - Last March '95 Production
GE00326 Orinoco Green - First April '95 Production
GE00327 Orinoco Green
GE00328 Orinoco Green
GE00329 Orinoco Green
GE00330 Rosso Red
GE00331 Rosso Red
GE00332 Orinoco Green
GE00333 Orinoco Green
GE00334 Orinoco Green
GE00335 Orinoco Green - 14/50 - 'AndyE'
GE00336 Orinoco Green
GE00337 Rosso Red
GE00338 Rosso Red
GE00339 Rosso Red
GE00340 Rosso Red
GE00341 Rosso Red
GE00342 Rosso Red
GE00343 Rosso Red - Last April '95 Production
GE00369 Orinoco Green
GE00370 Orinoco Green
GE00371 Orinoco Green - Last May '95 Production
GE00372 Orinoco Green ( Last LE built ) - Production Date Fri 2 June 1995 - Only Car Produced in June 1995
-
06/50 Rosso is currently for sale on eBay :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4541952653&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

34/50 Orinoco is currently up for grabs at Munich Legends :- www.munichlegends.com

01/50 Orinoco was known to be owned by Richard Fathers on this board (Is it Still - Not herard for a while ?).

02/50 Rosso is owned by board member 'M5Powered'

50/50 is known to be owned by board member E34#SE50 - but I don't think this is chassis # 372 - the last car - as it is a Rosso.

Good Luck !

TK.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I found this website which demonstrates the range of lighting available. http://www.hidexpress.com/index.asp

I have to say that the 8000k ones that I have fitted look exactly like the ones demonstrated. Thought the purple ones would be to 'Bling', as seen on those Japanes bikes!

Mmm-Five said:
I'm not sure why the seller is saying 8000k is standard as 4300k is normal.

You actually get less visible light from 8000k as it removes most of the red/amber/yellow from the spectrum to make it a blue light rather than white.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
yewcorner said:
I found this website which demonstrates the range of lighting available. http://www.hidexpress.com/index.asp

I have to say that the 8000k ones that I have fitted look exactly like the ones demonstrated. Thought the purple ones would be to 'Bling', as seen on those Japanes bikes!
Yes, that picture illustrates the light temperature very well - mine look (and are) the same as the 4300k picture (#2), which produces the most visible light (in the human spectrum) - invisible light is of no use to humans.

I wonder what 15000k would look like (i.e. ultra-violet)?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts