BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all E39 roof racks created the same? While I want to get a rack with accessories for bicycles and skis, etc, I really need to move some plywood, studs and drywall (4 x 8) for a garage remodel. Anyone done it, what rack do you recommend?:)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I have the BMW one with the bike rails. I took the bike rails off and used it to take welded steel grid to a client a couple hundred miles away. It worked.

You need to find what the weight capacity of the racks are, DO NOT exceed that, many different things could happen, all of them being bad.

As for hauling building products, Id be terrified slipping with one piece and hitting my car.

Home Depot and Menards (Maybe Lowes) usually rent pick-up trucks for a few hours to load up your stuff and get it home.

Reactions: AGM5 and lugnuts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Although it's possible to do worse, I'd be VERY careful about how you go about this. And I'd say for certain, it's not an E39 thing, it's a car physics thing. The pillars on the car are designed to withstand much more, but a rack that mounts flush to the roof rail isn't necessarily designed to distribute the weight of even a couple sheets of 1/2 inch drywall at 54lbs each. Worse yet, one that perforates the roof in only four places could end in disaster. A piece of plywood is a sail. Wind may appear to blow parallel if you stick your hand out the window, but ride up on the roof with your hand over the windscreen. It will be pushed up. Plus, 4x8 ft sheet of anything will stick out meaning you'll have to secure it on the ends. If you don't do it perfectly flat, even bigger sail. Then you have to worry about your attachment points and the wearing as you carry a floppy sail around.

I don't just have surmising to do. I did a bit of research for you. A Yakima Whispbar HD (no association) can carry 165lbs. On a windless day at a slow speed you could probably carry two sheets because you'll also have to support them (thus add weight taking away from true cargo capacity) or they'll otherwise split the moment you go over a small bump in the popular box store parking lot.

I had a painter who worked for me once that carried his 20ft ladder on his Miata. I'll get a picture from the old hard drive. I'm saying it's doable, but I believe you'll pay dearly all around. Better bet is to find an idiot with a truck (like me) and make friends, or just rent one from said popular hardware store for 1/20th the cost of a new roof rack and 1/Avagadro'th of the headache.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Look up sail force calculator for fun. As an example, a sheet at 32 sq ft with a prevailing 35 knot wind produces 168.5 lbs of force. That's straight on. A top mount won't be, but I'm damn sure Yakima didn't design their systems to be pulled UP at 168.5 lbs. There needs to be an emoticon that has a little guy biting his nails 'til his fingers are gone. Insert that emoticon here.

Reactions: chuffykow

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Look up sail force calculator for fun. As an example, a sheet at 32 sq ft with a prevailing 35 knot wind produces 168.5 lbs of force. That's straight on. A top mount won't be, but I'm damn sure Yakima didn't design their systems to be pulled UP at 168.5 lbs. There needs to be an emoticon that has a little guy biting his nails 'til his fingers are gone. Insert that emoticon here.
I have a Surco roof rack on that I put on my Land Rover Disco. It is BIG! An 8x4 sheet of plywood/sheet rock/etc just drops inside it with the back tip sticking up so it's being pushed down by the wind. If you even attempt this in your E39 you'll want to have the load tilted nose down to push it down on to the car. BUT I'd not do it in a car. It does put a LOT of force in the roof once you factor in the wind speed of you doing just say 50-60 mph.

Last year I loaded some 8x4 sheets of insulation onto the rack on the rover. It was a slightly breezy day and these sheets didn't weigh more than a pound each. Even these were difficult to load due to the small amount of wind force pulling them around and how they acted like a sail.

Get a tow hitch put on the car instead, then rent a small trailer from U-haul for $20 a day or you can buy a small trailer that will hold an 8x4 sheet of what ever for under $500 at Lowes I think.

Rack I have is like this but it's bigger. 84"x50" I think.

http://www.surcoinc.com/R-BR_SR5.html

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I have the BMW one with the bike rails. I took the bike rails off and used it to take welded steel grid to a client a couple hundred miles away. It worked.

You need to find what the weight capacity of the racks are, DO NOT exceed that, many different things could happen, all of them being bad.

As for hauling building products, Id be terrified slipping with one piece and hitting my car.

Home Depot and Menards (Maybe Lowes) usually rent pick-up trucks for a few hours to load up your stuff and get it home.
for $20 just rent the pickup at the home center your buying the wood at, I do it all the time.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I dont know much about roof racks but that was going to be my suggestion as well. I had to pick up some stuff this past weekend from Lowes and just rented their truck to get it home. I live fairly close so it was cheap.

Usually I ask my brother to pick the stuff up since he has a truck but it was down for repairs. You cant put a price tag on having a friend with a nice sized pick up. lol

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

for $20 just rent the pickup at the home center your buying the wood at, I do it all the time.
Not to be that person but...

To be hauling building supplies with an M5 is a bit unseemly. if it were some lesser version that might be a different story. :rofl:

Seriously, rent the truck if they have one or visit U-Haul. It is cheaper than a scratch in the paint.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
This all makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm not sure how an M5 owner would be able to handle the sub-standard driving experience of a truck. Maybe if BMW made a pickup......

Does Michelin even sell Pilot Super Sports in the right size for a pickup???

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Don't do it bro. Rent the Home Depot truck. I think it's like $20. Possibly free if you buy enough at once.

P.S. I am also working on my garage. Way more work than I thought I'd be. Mainly because I'm working on poorly done prior drywalling. Starting to shape up though. Soooo glad I put a subpanel in a few years ago when remodeling the breezeway. I just bolted 11 of these to the ceiling since they were so cheap:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...y-ShopLight-CESL402-27/203725928?N=5yc1vZc9h6

Got a few more to hang after certain ceiling areas are complete.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'm slowly working on my garage too. Shelf re-organizing is next on the list. Last year I put A/C in it and insulated it as mentioned before. As I live in Texas LOL! Now I can work on my car in relative comfort even in July.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
A couple of years ago i bought a bonnet (hood to you guys) for my e39 and had to bring it home, about 60 miles ish.

I used my second car a Ford Mondeo with roof bars to do so and even with ratchet straps holding it down i have to say it was the worst journey of my entire life and scared the **** out of me at certain points. I ended up avoiding major roads as the speed limit there meant i couldn't go that fast and was a liability to other drivers. I spent most of the journey at about 30mph or less and had to frequently stop to check the security of the load it really was that bad.

So bad in fact that when i had to move another bonnet, i rented a van solely to do so.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone and as said above, although i know you're not specifically asking, i would use another method to transport drywall.

I wasn't particularly bothered about my DD mondeo either, I imagine in something i cared considerably more about i'd have likely exploded with worry.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
This all makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm not sure how an M5 owner would be able to handle the sub-standard driving experience of a truck. Maybe if BMW made a pickup......

Does Michelin even sell Pilot Super Sports in the right size for a pickup???

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST
I hope so, I want to put them on my winter beater truck. It's just the thing I need to 'class it up' .

Reactions: AGM5

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't say was 100% serious when I posted the thread, but the collective wisdom here has convinced me to stay away from pending doom. :M5thumbs: Now, I did manage to carry a 3 x 5 wonder board in the M5 a few months back hiha, here's a pic to all the naysayers. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Inside is way safer, no two ways about it. We never actually thought you were serious...:haha:

It just be a New York thing. Out west us hippies have two beds. Either fits oneself, the ladies, a dog if you're into that sort of thing, dirt is less popular unless you're really tired, but plywood only fits well in one of them lest you have a terrible nights sleep. I see you Atlantics feeding all sorts of rough stuff into you vehicles. I remember an episode of some DIY show where a couple rode the subway to and fro carrying building materials (toilets, tiles, lumber!!) to upgrade their apartment.

You guys are unrelenting and for that I give you accolades, but holy hell I'd never do any of that. :hihi:

·
Registered
134 Posts
As a tradesman, I have to say that drywall is heavier than it looks, and has very little strength when laying horizontally if not supported well. That, coupled with airspeed at even low speeds will likely result in catastrophic failure for the drywall and resulting bodywork for the car.

Don't do it...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts