BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Rolex 24 at Daytona

10K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  E55AMG2 
#1 ·
Watching the Rolex 24 on speed. Are the Ganassi cars still running the S62 V8? I see the 1M is the pace car.

#2 ·
I believe so... Turner is running the S62 in their M3 as well. :goldcup:

#4 ·
Is Dinan the engine builder? On the opening laps, the commentators were commenting on the V8 sound, which they described as "a crowd pleaser"!
Regards,
Jerry

#16 ·
#7 ·
I've been waiting for this day since the start of the Grand-Am series, lets just hope Dinan doesn't get caught cheating again.:hihi:
The S62 will be swapped out for the new M3 S65 later.

#8 ·
Steve said this fall that they were going to be able to use the S62 for the first part of 2011 season, and then they are being required to shift to the S65.

Here's what I wrote in another thread last fall:

It was great to hear him talk about the development of the S62. He's found a lot of power in the S62 mainly through extensive and creative engineering, eliminating frictional losses, etc., all proprietary. Since in the Rolex series, you have to use the stock intake system (i.e. throttle bodies, intake trumpets, plenum), stock valves, etc, he didn't ever think he'd find as much HP as they have within the engine in the past couple of years.

Next year they have to use the S65, and he didn't sound too excited about it since the largest displacement they can get out of the S65 is 4.5L. He thought they could get close to the same peak HP out of the S65 as the S62, but they'll have to rev it about 1500-1700rpm higher resulting in more pumping and frictional losses. The only pros were that it is slightly lighter and smaller, so it can be placed a bit lower in the chassis, and they'll have some small amount of ballast they can place appropriately.

Chuck

#11 ·
S62 Power goes 1 and 2!!!!!!!!!!

#18 ·
It was a very enjoyable race. Nice to see the S62 perform so well. I love the 24 since it's the beginning of racing season. Now, bring on F1.

#19 · (Edited)
Anyone have pics of the S62 in either of the Ganassi cars? I'd love to see "under the hood."

I heard that the commentators were mentioning the sound of the V8 (not sure whether it was with regards to the Turner #94 or the Ganassi cars)... does anyone have a clip where a comment was being made that you can share? I'd love to hear what they had to say!

Thanks in advance!! Viva la S62! :cheers:

-crds

#20 ·
#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
E55, bummer that would have been awesome! I was planning on trying to find you guys, but there was so much going on this year before I knew it the race was over. 12 hours of Sebring?

sjdennis, those brakes were THRASHED. The rotors were the first thing to go on the car when they brought it in. I took the pictures around 4:30am so the car had already been running for 12+ hours.

I took some HD videos of various garage work and fly bys of cars, but Vimeo will only let me upload one HD video a week. So you guys only get one for right now:

Rolex 24 Hour - Green and white flag on Vimeo (1 series M in the beginning)

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/19396307" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/19396307">Rolex 24 Hour - Green and white flag</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1972710">Frye</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

#26 ·
E55, bummer that would have been awesome! I was planning on trying to find you guys, but there was so much going on this year before I knew it the race was over. 12 hours of Sebring?

sjdennis, those brakes were THRASHED. The rotors were the first thing to go on the car when they brought it in. I took the pictures around 4:30am so the car had already been running for 12+ hours.

I took some HD videos of various garage work and fly bys of cars, but Vimeo will only let me upload one HD video a week. So you guys only get one for right now:

Rolex 24 Hour - Green and white flag on Vimeo (1 series M in the beginning)

Yeah dude. The 12 hours will be awesome!

Also, I could have gotten you some VIP access with BMW NA. A select few of us were given rides in the 1M, and the M3's from the performance driving school on saturday morning before the race.

#31 ·
I've now resolved after watching this on tv all weekend--I'm going to this every January for the rest of my life. A race, with cool cars, in a warm climate, in January--my least favorite month of the year. I love it. Mike, I'll be pinging you for those VIP passes, big guy! This just looks way to cool to miss being there in person.

--Peter

#32 ·
I've now resolved after watching this on tv all weekend--I'm going to this every January for the rest of my life. A race, with cool cars, in a warm climate, in January--my least favorite month of the year. I love it. Mike, I'll be pinging you for those VIP passes, big guy! This just looks way to cool to miss being there in person.

--Peter

make sure you go early to check out the HSR races - it was always my favorite part of the week there. few other places can you watch a Porsche 917 on track with a 935 and a 962, not to mention the rest of the cars from IMSA's hay day.

#37 ·
If we can pull that off, then we should also consider an m5board meet for the US Grand Prix in Austin, should they actually get the track built.

But first thing first. 24 Hours of Drinking (Daytona) 2012!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.