BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After talking to a number of UK RHD E34 M5 owners recently , it has become an issue that not many of us contribute to this Board anymore , and our US and Far East brothers are running the show !

Who is still involved in the UK scene , keen to share experiences , perhaps get together for a meet and contribute to the Board ?

D

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hi David,

I still check in every few days but don't really post anymore. I'm not sure why but the atmosphere seems to have changed here.

I got my car out of the garage this week after its winter hibernation and took it out for a drive, none of the magic has gone, it is an epic car. Maybe a meet is overdue, I'd like to see how people are getting on with their cars.

·
Registered
205 Posts
David,

My M5 has been in long term renovation but with a new job has brought additional funds so begining to make progress, im aiming for mid 2014 at the moment after puting it into my priority list.

I would still be interested in a meet to chat to the guys and see some cars that are not just works in progress.

Im similar to Dan in such that i check every few days but no posts and feel the atmosphere has changed. It is still a wealth of information but a lot of the topics are aimed at big money mods where i just want my car stock and running correctly.

I will certainly look at posting once my progress ramps up in the renovation.

Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am here most days that I drive my car (i.e Everyday). Car doing well, no post started by me recently, just here to take the p**s mostly and help out where my limited knowledge/experience of these fantastic cars allows me to.

Have you heard from Andy Hudds recently, I hear he is having car trouble? Andy and I meet up on occasion with Sharkfan (Kevin) to chew the E4 cud.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi David

Wheels refurbished today. Will re-attach them tomorrow at bodyshop that over the last couple of weeks has confirmed the sills are solid, put on a new wing, new door bottom trims, and done some tidying - so the Avus Blue car you sold me last September continues to survive / improve. Can't wait to get it back now the snow has finally gone. New wiper rack (should have had it done with the new heater blower!) and drop link(?) scheduled. Onkar thinks there may be a MAF issue but that will have to wait. And I'd really like to meet other owners for the first time.

Chris Goodman

·
Registered
832 Posts
After talking to a number of UK RHD E34 M5 owners recently , it has become an issue that not many of us contribute to this Board anymore , and our US and Far East brothers are running the show !

Who is still involved in the UK scene , keen to share experiences , perhaps get together for a meet and contribute to the Board ?

D
I've been wondering what's been happening to all you U.K. guys !

I don't post that often anymore but I check in on most days to see how the old ( disappearing ! ) gang is doing.

Since I bought my car off a UK member and attended one of The Goat meets where I met several UK members I have an affinity for the UK group....and also, since my Touring is the only one on record running in Africa I have nobody to compare notes with !

If ever there's another meet and i'm in the UK I'll surely be there.

Keep the flag flying David ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Car currently getting some attention to electrics, but be glad of a meet when done. Would be good to share experiences now the cars are getting older and it takes ever more determination to keep them going.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm still here. I have noticed a recent shift away from UK matters on the board, not necessarily a bad thing but I hope we can get some more traffic. A very long hard winter wont have helped.

I'm delighted to provide technical advice in the event any struggles with removing their oil cap or inflating a tyre.....

My car is slowly improving......next jobs is prob a new clutch, and maybe some paint and new trims on the bottom of the doors. Magic is certainly still there.

And yes....DEFINITELY up for a Goat meet !

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well I don't really qualify to say anything, since I don't live in the UK, so take my post with a pinch of salt, but this is a trend I have noticed on all car forums.

Lately all of them (on which i am registered anyway) has drifted towards a social medium, with less and less technical and valuable info. One has to read through endless mindless posts to get to anything of value and that is an atmosphere I don't particularly like. FB and all the other social media is what those sorts of nonsense talk is there for.

I want to see pictures of cars and read about experiences with and within the cars concerned. But that is just me.

Having said all this, I can still in all honesty say that this forum is still one of the best ones, because some of the other ones have reached a point of no return. I still value a lot of what is being posted on here. Especially from the long time contributors, so please keep it up.:thumbsup:

BTW - is Farrel still around?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm still around. Still totally madly obsessed with my car but it's been off the road for a while due to the awful awful weather, me bing sick for a long time, and also my focus has been on buying and renovating our firsst home...which still seems a million miles away. A key part of the design of the house, possibly the most important, was the new lair for my beloved Violet. Her current abode is a little draughty and chilly and is often frequented by furry critters and she deserves better. I just hope the planning department at the local council understand. How I've managed to make my wife understand I will never know, may God bless her.

To answer your question more specifically:

a) No experiences to share because Violet is off the road, because i)no money ii) too cold iii) too salty
b) No real technical knowledge to put forward
c) I think the board has been going for 10 years +. During that time most issues have been covered; the search function is very good and people can get the answers they need this way. People are put off by perceived cliques on forums and being told to use the search function. Yes people should use the search function, but if everyone did that the forum would turn into a database for consumption only. I don’t think we’re like that on the E34 forum and I think we are very welcoming and accommodating people but just a general observation.
d) These cars are becoming rarer and rarer. Fewer cars = fewer owners = fewer contributors
e) Related to d) these cars are going to become more valuable, very quickly. I think people are stashing the cars away and using them less.

I currently enjoy Violet by sitting in the car in the garage on my own and breathing deeply through my nostrils. I find it very enjoyable. Occasionally I open and close the doors just to hear the sound. It’s very satisfying when there’s a little more resistance when the car’s been sitting for a while, you know when the door sticks a bit. Anyway, I hope to have her out later this year.

I still enjoy reading people’s experiences and I think this is still the definitive forum for our thoroughbred machines and a great international online scene.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I still visit every couple of days or so to see how people are getting on with these exciting cars. I'm without an M car at present but I'm on the fence between a E46/E9x M3

·
Registered
332 Posts
No M5 anymore but it's sadly missed. I still have an E34, albeit an Alpina, and I have an S38 of sorts, the M88/3 in my M635 so I still pop by the forum and also catch up with Bondy and AndyHudds when we can all find the time. I'd be up for a meet again if it's at all on the cards; Andy and I made a full weekend of it last time and had a great time :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I currently enjoy Violet by sitting in the car in the garage on my own and breathing deeply through my nostrils. I find it very enjoyable. Occasionally I open and close the doors just to hear the sound. It’s very satisfying when there’s a little more resistance when the car’s been sitting for a while, you know when the door sticks a bit.
Babbar - great to see you post again. I think the quote above is the funniest thing I've ever read in my entire life. Let me know when Violet is mobilised, and we will head out for a drive.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Im always still lurking on here, to be honest tho its not what it used to be on the board, this time 4 years ago it was buzzing with us UK guys on here.
Don't get me worng I have not posted myself in months due to the fact i have not done anything with the M5 in the best part of 2years she just an out and out Garage Queen these Days, that's gonna change tho this summer and im going to make an effort to get her back out there on the show scene again.
Think we all need to try and keep the UK e34 m5 scene alive for many more years,(seems to quiet these days)

It was great to meet up with the legendry Davidoli Again yesterday this time on my Manor, Sad day for us to see the trackcar that never was to be taken off are hands, but couldn't think of better hands for it to be in than MR Oli's...................Saying that we had a great laugh as always.
Cant wait to see what happens to the engine so keep us updated Dave.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great to hear from some of you old faces again ..........

Chappadappadoo , meditation is the key to satiation !

I'll review some potential dates and we'll get a Goat Meet together !

p.s. Fordkoppie , thanks for your observations .

Perhaps the fact that people have to work their nuts off simply to cover the cost of existing is having a bearing on the level of contributions to these forums , with most people simply seeking a release and mild entertainment ?

Faz is still on the BMW scene , focussing more on BMW Car Club events and would certainly be gracious enough to reply to any pm that you might send him , I'm sure !

D

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
D,

I check in now and again.

Some topics make me want to stick around longer, some even make me take the time to login and post a reply! - just like this one :noSMG:

I think most UK members have pretty sorted cars/or are in the process of having them sorted, so the question and answers don't seem to apply to those on our sunny shores so much these days?

Mine for example hasn't come out of hibernation for nearly a year, has no tax, no MOT or insurance and is slowly drawing electricity from the house via a trickle charger..

Not sure many would want to hear about "I opened the garage yesterday to get a ladder, M5 was still there"... - not really exciting a topic that.

That said, when I next use it, it may blow up in which case I'll be calling you directly rather than posting on here. :wroom:

The thing for me I notice is a general lack of banter and as you will know, my technical abilities start and end with putting petrol in, so without the odd p*ss take, there isn't much for me to say..

Still a good board, still like to keep an eye on cars/people that I know, but to use a dogging analogy (something I know you are familair with) I'm the guy on the outside of the car looking in, pulling funny faces and making the odd grunting noise while watching those on the inside of the car, the ones with the skills do their thing!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Every board I've ever been on seems to go through a "it's not what it used to be" phase every now and again so I wouldnt worry too much - I still think this is a great resource / community. But there has definitely been a UK lull which hopefully this summer should fix. I am happy to commit now to posting more often when I do something with my M5, no matter how banal it may seem to me. I know how much I enjoy other people's news, and looking at photos of their cars, even if they are simply washing it.

David - thanks for offering us another Goat meet. Will move mountains to be there !

1 - 20 of 67 Posts