BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a nice week in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Monte Carlo</st1:place></st1:City> I arrive back excited as ever to drive the beast. I thought I better have a go before tomorrow since I am going to be getting on a boat with the M5 and driving to <st1:City w:st="on">London</st1:City> from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Dublin</st1:place></st1:City>.

<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:11.25pt; height:11.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:DOCUME~1KINMAK~1LOCALS~1Tempmsohtml11clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/crying.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--> So I start it up no problems, drive for about 1-2 miles, gear in neutral at a stop light. Lights go green, clutch in, select... wait a minute the shifter moving around freely! Took me a few seconds that the WSR and the Shifter have come apart. A friendly passer-by helps me get the car out of the middle of the road and then I look around and find there is an independent car dealer close by so I car in and beg for someone to jack my car up to get the shifter fitted back on. Someone finally agreed and so we headed to the car. After a minute or so he jacks up the car, looks underneath and tells me the clip is missing. So we walk back to the scene where my car stopped and check what is on the road. Found a yellow washer and that is it.

Hoping to find something I open the boot and look around and found the old shifter rod with all the clips still there. Whew! So he got the clip sorta fitted in... We had the car jacked up sideways and I did not want him to be moving the car too much in case it fell on the poor man. So the shifter is connected again, happy days. Give the man €20 and I am back to the place I fitted the shifter.

I tell the guy there what happened and he said he will take a look at it so come back in 2 hours. So 2 hours past and I am back for an explanation. He says the clip just worked loose due to the "strain". "Happen often with 5 series BMWs". Anyhow he tells me he took both clips out tightened them and fitted it back on and it should be fine. So I drive off happy that it will not happen again.

The problem now is the shifter seems not to be as "tight" as before, there is about an inch "play" left and right when the shifter is in neutral and same in 1-4 gear. 5 and 6 seem solid. Any suggestions on why this is so and also might I be missing some washers?

Thanks for listening. I have about 1500 miles to drive this weekend, I hope nothing is going to pop out again. ??????

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Kin Mak said:
He says the clip just worked loose due to the "strain". "Happen often with 5 series BMWs". Anyhow he tells me he took both clips out tightened them and fitted it back on and it should be fine. So I drive off happy that it will not happen again.

The problem now is the shifter seems not to be as "tight" as before, there is about an inch "play" left and right when the shifter is in neutral and same in 1-4 gear. 5 and 6 seem solid. Any suggestions on why this is so and also might I be missing some washers?
Time for a new shop.

Based on nothing more than engineering knowledge and doing these clips myself, it is IMPOSSIBLE for the clip to come off due to strain. period.

They didn't put it on properly.

As to the looseness- maybe you are missing washers or maybe they left them out just to make it easy to put the clip on. Maybe the bushing was damaged when it slipped apart (I doubt this).

New shop- instead of- "We're really sorry, we must not have put the clip on right" they lied to you. Would you trust them to replace your clutch now?

A

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have to agree with ard. Having installed the SSK myself only a week ago, I can confidently say it was a ***** to get the clips secure due to space constraint. It took me a little while to make sure all of the clip went in and seated properly. While doing this, I wondered to myself how easy they would work themselves off if you don't do it right (These parts move around constantly and forcefully.)

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Archille said:
I have to agree with ard. Having installed the SSK myself only a week ago, I can confidently say it was a ***** to get the clips secure due to space constraint. It took me a little while to make sure all of the clip went in and seated properly. While doing this, I wondered to myself how easy they would work themselves off if you don't do it right (These parts move around constantly and forcefully.)
Actually (and I posted this on another thread discussing the install) it is pretty easy to get one 'half' of the clip on 'top' of the yellow washer, and the other side of the clip under the washer- since you are doing it blind. (You can either see it or touch it- both not both.) Initially, it looked like the clip was in place- but it wasn't all the way engaged.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
The clip was not put on correctly but I also agree that it is quite easy to only get the clip halfway on. You push and strain to get it and it will snap halfway over the washer not causing a complete lock (but this can be hard to see), and having the possibility of the clip falling off. I am sorry to hear about your incident and am not sure why you have more play then before. Best of luck and please keep us updated.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Just want to echo the others' comments, as I did the install myself (well, most of it anyway; I had a shop install the WSR because I couldn't get to the clip at the tranny end but installed the main part of the shifter myself). I have a hard time seeing how the clip could work its way loose unless it wasn't all the way engaged when first installed. As for the additional play, it's likely that you lost a washer or two down there. The shifter is a lever, so a small amount of play at the bottom end could translate into a lot of movement on top.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Having installed a couple dozen of these shifters, I have to agree with the others. It was an installation error. The clip was not put on all the way and it worked its way loose. When the shop put everything back together, they probably left off a yellow washer because they had trouble getting the clip to fit with it installed. So that's why you have all the extra free play.

If you can, I suggest getting access to a lift so you can go under the car and inspect things yourself. Watch what happens from under the car while someone else rows the shifter through the gears, then moves the lever side to side. From underneath, it should be obvious where the free play is coming from.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Kin Mak said:
So I start it up no problems, drive for about 1-2 miles, gear in neutral at a stop light. Lights go green, clutch in, select... wait a minute the shifter moving around freely! Took me a few seconds that the WSR and the Shifter have come apart.
I had a similar experience on 11/29/2004. I remember the date because that was the first day that my M5 was out of waranty. I was on my way to work and I accellerated through an intersection in first gear, upshifted to second, depressed the clutch to grab third and the gear shift fell loosely in my hand no longer connected to the transmission. I was still in second gear mind you not neutral. I immediately began to think "so this is how it's going to be with the car out of warranty." But I digress. So she was flatbedded to my dealer who installed my Rogue SSK and WSR. They repaired it at no charge but it just doesn't feel the same...a little more vibration noticable and maybe slightly more play. I don't know if any parts are missing or were not properly installed. Also, the gear shift knob is loose and can pivot about 30 degrees in either direction now. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I neglected to mentioned that it was also the Rogue SSK and WSR I installed. On my first attempt, I did had half of a clip went under the yellow rubber washer. I took me a few minute before I could visually confirmed it. Out it went and back in properly.

Proper installation should not give you much play. Put the car on a lift or jack and take a look for yourselves to see if the yellow washers are there behind the clips.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
M Macht said:
Also, the gear shift knob is loose and can pivot about 30 degrees in either direction now. Any thoughts?
If you mean the shift knob can rotate 30 degrees on the shaft, while the shaft remains stationary, then the problem is in your shift knob, not the shifter. Either the knob is not pressed down far enough for the tab to lock in place in the slot (unlikely) or the tab has broken inside your shift knob. If it's the latter problem, then it doesn't matter what kind of shift lever you have (stock, UUC, Rogue, Autosolutions, Dinan, etc.). The knob will still rotate freely. You'll need to buy a new shift knob. :(

Your installer probably broke it while attempting to reinstall the shifter. They also probably left off one or more yellow washers, either because they had trouble getting the clip installed with them in place or because they were missing when your car was dropped off and the shop didn't have any spares.

·
Registered
439 Posts
when ben put mine in he used red washers from an e46 shifter, he pressed them in with some sort of machine. mine were shot .
they've never come out or acted up.
maybe he'll sell you a set.
just email him and ask.

ray

ard said:
Actually (and I posted this on another thread discussing the install) it is pretty easy to get one 'half' of the clip on 'top' of the yellow washer, and the other side of the clip under the washer- since you are doing it blind. (You can either see it or touch it- both not both.) Initially, it looked like the clip was in place- but it wasn't all the way engaged.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I spoke with Ben Liaw at Rogue Engineering regarding my problems. He promptly mailed new clips, washers, and all of the other related hardware that I might need to reinstall the SSK and WSR myself (and he sent them at his expense)! He sent an e-mail to me with the instructions within minutes of our conversation. So I got out the ramps and disassembled and reassembled everything this time using synthetic grease as Ben suggested. The dealer had used lithium grease as best as I can tell. Also I found at least one yellow washer missing which had not been installed by the dealer. Now with all of the appropriate parts, she shifts great again. It was difficult getting the circlips back on correctly. I used a small mirror and flashlight to make sure that everything was replaced correctly.
Now I need to replace the gearshift knob that the dealer broke :crying:and she will be perfect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts