BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a short shifter...has anyone tried this setup or have any suggestions otherwise. I know I've read some posts about shifter in the past, but rather then searching through them all again, I thought I'd ask. Any and all opions are welcomed and appreciated.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
someday said:
Looking to get a short shifter...has anyone tried this setup or have any suggestions otherwise. I know I've read some posts about shifter in the past, but rather then searching through them all again, I thought I'd ask. Any and all opions are welcomed and appreciated.
I've got one in my car and love it. Then again, I could be accused of being biased. ;)

You'll also find people here who like their UUC shifters and their Autosolutions shifters.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of months and love it. I even installed it myself in a couple of hours. It is notchy but it is much better than the stock shifter.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Guilty.. I will admit that in the dead of winter it is a little moredifficult to slide into 2nd, but that problem goes away once the gearbox has fully warmed up..

I have not driven a car with any other SSK but I will never go back to the stock shifter. :byee55amg

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
someday,

We carry the Rogue short shifters along with the weighted selector rod for a very competitive price. Feel free to contact me if you are interested.

Travis

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello:

I have the Rogue SSK and i love it. The only time is during a cold winter day that it is hard to shift inot gear......

But other than that, I will never go back to stock.

RKM

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bocaM5 said:
I've had mine for a couple of months and love it. I even installed it myself in a couple of hours. It is notchy but it is much better than the stock shifter.
do you have the WSR too? i'm not really looking for the notchy feeling.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Looks like it accepts the factory shift knob...is this correct? And is it adjustable (lower knob height)?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
someday said:
Got mine from Dave Z., and it's a great product. NO RATTLE - EVER. While you're under the car, put in Rogue tranny mounts as well.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I started with the Rogue shifter with WSR and also really liked it...especially after switching to the Royal Purple tranny fluid and installing Rogue's performance tranny mounts.

I eventually wanted to try something different and put in the RMS shifter which I love because it is adjustable. I guess RMS did at least one thing right! :hihi:

:cheers:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well I am on for the combo - I have a UUC Evo3 SSK, and have now just purchased the WSR made by Rodue, to try and eliminate any of the notchiness... so will report back once the wsr has been fitted.

Both purchased from Beastpower....

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
some,

the Rogue units are not height adjustable but do have about a quarter inch reduction in height with about a 20% reduction in throw.

The rogue units with the WSR are a good setup for those that do not want the most race like feel to the shifter. They are great for those that want to reduce movement while keeping a OEM throw effort.

UUC's units do have a bit more effort involved and are a bit notchier but they also provide the most direct feel...as with clutches though (as we are all aware of here on the board lately), just remember there is more times than not, a trade off for everything.

·
Registered
463 Posts
someday said:
do you have the WSR too? i'm not really looking for the notchy feeling.
The WSR comes with the RE shifter. In earlier versions of the RE shifter, like the one I had in my 540, the WSR was sold separately. In any event, you will increase shifting effort and feel somewhat more "notchiness" with any short shifter, including the RE. I still remember how light (and long) the shifts were w/the OEM shifter -- you shouldn't think that the RE will provide the same light touch. But the compromises (slightly more effort required, and a little more difficult shifting into 2d when cold) are worth it. I'm happy with the RE; its never given me any trouble.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EdP said:
The WSR comes with the RE shifter. In earlier versions of the RE shifter, like the one I had in my 540, the WSR was sold separately. In any event, you will increase shifting effort and feel somewhat more "notchiness" with any short shifter, including the RE. I still remember how light (and long) the shifts were w/the OEM shifter -- you shouldn't think that the RE will provide the same light touch. But the compromises (slightly more effort required, and a little more difficult shifting into 2d when cold) are worth it. I'm happy with the RE; its never given me any trouble.
I understand that...I have an AMS SS on my A4 (that I'm trying to sell if anyone is interested) right now. I just love the feel. I'd like to get the most similar thing possible. However, the M5 community around here isn't as large as some other places on this board and therefore it's hard for me to "try" one before I buy it. hmmm.....

·
Registered
511 Posts
M Power said:
Guilty.. I will admit that in the dead of winter it is a little moredifficult to slide into 2nd, but that problem goes away once the gearbox has fully warmed up..

I have not driven a car with any other SSK but I will never go back to the stock shifter. :byee55amg
I had the same issue with my stock shifter. I don't think its shifter related but more gearbox realted. Swapping the tranny fluid resolved it for a bit. It eventually came back.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
the Rogue units are not height adjustable but do have about a quarter inch reduction in height with about a 20% reduction in throw.

The rogue units with the WSR are a good setup for those that do not want the most race like feel to the shifter. They are great for those that want to reduce movement while keeping a OEM throw effort.

I had Ben do a semi custom unit and I am very happy with it. Ben used a 540 unit which has less reduction in throw (Rob: I think standard for M5, at least back when I got mine was between 30 and 40%), but then took about an inch or so off of the height, further reducing the throw. Ben suggested more than that and it might be too hard to shift. I do have the WSR and tranny mounts. I find the shifts positive and not very notchy at all. A firm hand on the shifter is all that is needed for shifting. I have not driven other brands for comparison, but a huge improvement over stock. Just my experience.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
jer,

hey my numbers might be off..i guess dave z or beastpower would need to come and clarify. I thought that rogues setup was not near the 50% mark although it very well could be.

DaveZ? Beastpower (or representative)?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whizzkid11 said:
Well I am on for the combo - I have a UUC Evo3 SSK, and have now just purchased the WSR made by Rodue, to try and eliminate any of the notchiness... so will report back once the wsr has been fitted.

Both purchased from Beastpower....
please let me know how that works for you. i will most likely do a similar setup if yours works w/o problem. the shifter in my A4 is height and throw adjustable and i really like having it lower.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
jer,

hey my numbers might be off..i guess dave z or beastpower would need to come and clarify. I thought that rogues setup was not near the 50% mark although it very well could be.

DaveZ? Beastpower (or representative)?
50%?? Yikes! That would be nearly undrivable. The Rogue shifter is close to 20% throw reduction over the stock M5 shifter. I'll get the exact number and either edit this post or make a new one shortly.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Dave..i thought it was near the 20% mark too....as my original post suggest.
instead of the 50% i wrote in my reply to jerry, i should have said like 40%

1 - 20 of 26 Posts