1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Shill account for CNS Racing
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not exactly, but a friend with a S54 motor MCoupe tried the UUC clutch kit, didn't like the chatter, went with the Rogue Kit, felt it was much better. He highly recommended it for my M5.

I have the highest regard for the UUC products, and Rob has stood by his products when I've dealt with him. Just passing along some 2nd hand feedback.

·
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
In reality it is UUC(ClutchMasters disk / Fidanza flywheel) vs Rogue (SPEC disk / JB Racing Flywheel). Which V12 clutch kit makes less gearlash noise and lasts the longest. Also which is the best stage 1(organic), 2(Kevlar) or 3(ceramic) for longevity and very hard driving.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've heard tha much of the rattle or noise from these aftermarket upgrade kits is a result of the lightweight flywheels. The all use a sprung hub disc, and get rid of that self adjusting clutch mechanism. Just making some assumptions here, but if the Rogue kit is providing a bit heavier flywheel to offset some of the noise, maybe it makes sense? I'm not so concerned about the clutch disc material, since the uber high grab stuff is not something I would consider, nor a 3 or 4 puck design. All I would want when I replace my clutch is not to have to worry about having the clutch "fully" engaged before stomping on the gas pedal. I'm usually somewhat on the gas most of the shift and find it hard to totally lift off the gas until my clutch pedal is upward again. But, that's just me. It's all quite expensive, it's too bad not enough testimonials of the various clutch options to make a easy decision.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I've written a thread about the UUC clutch. No issues so far, except for a touch of throwout bearing noise at 32k miles (from install). $140 part and a few hours labor to replace, but I must admit it was elective on my part. There was no need at that point to do it, it was a "while you're in there" repair.

I drive harder and more miles than most, and on top of that I do HPDE's with a regular frequency.

·
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mistake the Rogue clutch is NOT the oversized 280mm / 11inch clutch kit offering but instead is the oem size 240mm 9.45inch. Moderators: please edit the thread title.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It appears the Rogue clutch kits are 280mm. Here is a email response I received from Ben a few days ago to clarify what size his kit includes:

Thank you for your inquiry.

We have recently changed the specification on ALL our E39 540 and M5 clutch kits to incorporate 280mm discs. With exclusive cooperative development with JB Racing, we now offer this to the public.

Unlike similar kits out there, our systems not only emulate factory tolerances in terms of fit, but also have more mass than the competition (less gear lash noise).

Whereas we still offer 240mm solutions on our site, we have been selling the 280mm version for a few months now. The only issue with the 240mm size is the pedal feel, for those looking for a more "stock" like feel. Otherwise, this solution has served us well for the years we've been offering it.

Thanks for thinking about Rogue Engineering for your performance solutions. Let us know if you have additional questions.

Best Regards,
Ben Liaw
Rogue Engineering • 201-444-8150

Just wanted to share this info. Haven't installed any kit yet, still learning the car.

·
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It appears the Rogue clutch kits are 280mm. Here is a email response I received from Ben a few days ago to clarify what size his kit includes:

Thank you for your inquiry.

We have recently changed the specification on ALL our E39 540 and M5 clutch kits to incorporate 280mm discs. With exclusive cooperative development with JB Racing, we now offer this to the public.

Unlike similar kits out there, our systems not only emulate factory tolerances in terms of fit, but also have more mass than the competition (less gear lash noise).

Whereas we still offer 240mm solutions on our site, we have been selling the 280mm version for a few months now. The only issue with the 240mm size is the pedal feel, for those looking for a more "stock" like feel. Otherwise, this solution has served us well for the years we've been offering it.

Thanks for thinking about Rogue Engineering for your performance solutions. Let us know if you have additional questions.

Best Regards,
Ben Liaw
Rogue Engineering • 201-444-8150

Just wanted to share this info. Haven't installed any kit yet, still learning the car.
You are correct there was some confusion. They are currently looking at options for the 280mm stage 2 and beyond since they have only tested the stage 1 organic JB Racing setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts