·
Registered
837 Posts
Any pics? sounds cool though, Josh

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="377" width="678"> <tbody><tr><td style="padding-right: 8px; padding-top: 17px;" align="right" valign="top" width="10">
</td> <td valign="top" width="300">RTurbo

</td> <td class="nav2" align="right" width="358">Technical Specifications</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" valign="top" width="10">
</td> <td colspan="2" style="padding-top: 13px;" valign="top" width="658"> <!-- Begin Page Contents -->
The RUF Rturbo is built on the basis of the Porsche 996 Turbo and can be offered with 520, 550 or with 590 bhp. Correspondingly, the torque increases to 830 Nm in the 590 bhp version.

Such performance is not only achieved by a series of complimentary modifications but also by modified turbochargers and a ingenious exhaust system. The engine management system as well as the intake tract are re-mapped to match their newly optimized surroundings. When choosing the 590 bhp upgrading, the engine is also disassembled completely, equipped with titanium conrods, converted camshafts and heat exchanger and then reassembled again. To cope with the increased torque, a stronger clutch is installed.

The chassis and the brakes are adjusted as well, fitted with new shocks, springs, stabilizer bars, and RUF-Brembo brake discs and calipers.

The RUF integrated roll cage serves as a hidden safety feature. The roll cage can hardly be noticed with the interior leather or alcantara carpeting panels fully covering the cage.

RUF 19 inch alloy wheels and newly designed front and rear spoilers characterize the visual appearance of the RUF Rturbo, which is also available with the narrow body of the Porsche 996 Carrera. The RUF Rturbo is launched with the latest evolution of RUF instrumentation, that reminds of Porsche models of earlier times.

If so desired, the RUF Rturbo is also available with 2 WD instead of 4 WD.

Beginning September 2004, this car is available with the RUF suspension system (hydraulically adjustable).

</td></tr></tbody> </table>

·
Registered
280 Posts
ALEV8 said:
Oh my God. Insanely fast.
I am getting one once I'm done with school.
Porsche are great my wife has a 81 930 with lots mods around 500hp 1130kg it kills my m5. before new motor 12.6 118mph on dusty road (g tech). I would love to drive new one i think it would be a little safer. I have got in trouble already once in her car. I wish bmw liked turbos.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This particular car was at the RUF Autocentre here in Dallas, and has 6000mi on it, and is also for sale. Dark metallic Grey with grey interior leather and complete CF bits kits and Kinesis custom wheels. The Porsche Magnesium rotors and huge calipers, Eisenmann roll cage and Schroth harnesses are the only hints at what's under the hood..........and I can say that, well, having driven fast before in modded 996TTs, this is a new definition of fast. Apparently RUF understates their true HP, fellas; my ears popped when we got on the gas. I might have soiled my shorts if I had not been able to hold onto the door handle for dear life!

Also at the shop was Axl Rose's blue Turbo and a Boxster S conversion to the latest 997 engine, coilovers, wheels, brakes, etc......so very sick.

Unfortunately my M5 feels a bit sedate now....................:crying:

·
Registered
30 Posts
ALEV8 said:
This particular car was at the RUF Autocentre here in Dallas, and has 6000mi on it, and is also for sale. Dark metallic Grey with grey interior leather and complete CF bits kits and Kinesis custom wheels. The Porsche Magnesium rotors and huge calipers, Eisenmann roll cage and Schroth harnesses are the only hints at what's under the hood..........and I can say that, well, having driven fast before in modded 996TTs, this is a new definition of fast. Apparently RUF understates their true HP, fellas; my ears popped when we got on the gas. I might have soiled my shorts if I had not been able to hold onto the door handle for dear life!

Also at the shop was Axl Rose's blue Turbo and a Boxster S conversion to the latest 997 engine, coilovers, wheels, brakes, etc......so very sick.

Unfortunately my M5 feels a bit sedate now....................:crying:
it's so tempting :wroom:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
This RUF is AWESOME, legendary........ 'The yellow Bird'

O-100mph in 7.1 seconds 217 mph and it was produced in the 80's ........... It was recently put up against a long list of cars in Autocar's 0-100-0 challenge, There were very few cars that beat it to 100 mph, very few. The only 'standard' car from memory was the Enzo at 6.9 seconds....

Amazing car, truly amazing.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Carrera2RS said:
This RUF is AWESOME, legendary........ 'The yellow Bird'

O-100mph in 7.1 seconds 217 mph and it was produced in the 80's ........... It was recently put up against a long list of cars in Autocar's 0-100-0 challenge, There were very few cars that beat it to 100 mph, very few. The only 'standard' car from memory was the Enzo at 6.9 seconds....

Amazing car, truly amazing.....
you got it! this is the ONE that was on the cover of Road and Track back in '87. It's the one from the Nurburgring video driven by Stefan. I remember exactly where I was when I first saw the mag, and have been in love with RUF cars ever since. What a treat to just sit in it!

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
I would never buy a yellow car,nevertheless a stunning car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gustav said:
Please some more pics on the CTR!

You mean this CTR ;)

Signature on the poster by Mr Frere, at the wall in the reception of Ruf;
HERE YOU GO .....scroll down the page a bit.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Wow. I would just liek to take that car and hit the road, esp. with German plates in the USA! Very nice and fast car!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
MJC123 said:
you got it! this is the ONE that was on the cover of Road and Track back in '87. It's the one from the Nurburgring video driven by Stefan. I remember exactly where I was when I first saw the mag, and have been in love with RUF cars ever since. What a treat to just sit in it!
I luv Ruf's too and adhored this car for years, then fell inlove with the Carrera 2RS in 1991 when it came out, finally bought one in 1997 and loved it ever since lovelove

See my car pics ..........

·
Registered
842 Posts
After a wonderful experience owning and modifying a 911 Turbo (Back in the days before all-wheel-drive and twin turbos) I've decided the next Porsche Turbo I buy will be a Ruf. I still remember the top speed test that the Yellow Bird ran (flew) in nearly two decades ago. If I remember right, the next fastest of the, "Super-Cars" were struggling to get their spedos to nudge 180mph while this narrow body, stock looking 911 blasted up to nearly 220mph. I was blown away and went out and bought a stock 1987 3.3 liter Turbo and started my own Ruf-type (on a budget) project. It was amazing what a few easy bolt-ons and boosts-ups could do for that car.

Some may remember my Bronze Bullet from Portland International Raceway where I would run in club events back in the mid 1990's. Now that I'm a driving instructor I have a great (terrific) deal of empathy for my first instructors in those days. A few sat in the paseenger seat for one or maby even two laps before asking me to pull into the pits so they could go find another instructor with more familiarity with high-horsepower cars - especially those with both throttle-on and throttle-off over-steer. This was before the Chicane was put in and, at it's fastest, I would hit nearly 170mph on the front straight before turning my Pagid Orange brake pads bright red and spitting tremendous three foot long matching flames from the duel twin-tip Borlas as each downshift lit off the unburned fuel accumulating in the mufflers.

No, it wasn't a Ruf. It was a Ruf wanna-be, but it was still quite fast and I'll never forget the day I drove my future attorney down I5 from the "Leaving Eugene, Oregon" sign to the "Entering Salem, Oregon" sign in 20 minutes, forty-five seconds flat. Take a look at a map - the Yellow Bird could have done it faster, but not by much on that Thursday afternoon.

But I still want a Ruf - and mark my word, one day I'll own one.

Derek

1 - 19 of 19 Posts