BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hey guys,

To close the loop, I just wanted to post that I ended up having James/RRT replace my rod bearings and VANOS line. James put me on the waiting list for the next shipment of BE bearings, and when they arrived he scheduled the appointment and did the work over two days. I am a very happy customer and can join the list of people who recommend RRT for work on M5s.

Andrew
What did the job cost you? What brand of parts did you go with and did he have to purcahse them or were you able to drop them off yourself?

Bit of a drive for me as I'm in SW PA....but I lived down in that area (Columbia, MD) for a year so I'm somewhat familiar

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What did the job cost you? What brand of parts did you go with and did he have to purcahse them or were you able to drop them off yourself?
The rod bearing job itself was $3,008. However, James recommended, and I agreed, to also replace the engine mounts because they have to be removed anyway to get at the engine (add $270), and also replace the VANOS line (add $680). The OEM bearings were replaced with new BE bearings and rod bolts. Someone else mentioned upthread that James does not allow customers to supply their own parts. I did not explore that anyway because there is a waiting list for BE bearings and James received an allotment faster than I did (I put my name on the list but it never came up).

It's not responsive to your question but I wanted to respond to the people who avoid BMW dealers as a matter of practice. I am not affiliated with any of them so I think I can put in an unbiased plug for my local dealer, BMW of Silver Spring. They were quoting $16k to replace my rod bearings, which someone explained is not unreasonable if you remove the engine from the top, which apparently is how they would go about it. So the dealer was not a viable option for that job, but here are a few examples of ways that they treated me very fairly:

1. I bought some used rims fitted with nearly new snow tires, but unfortunately they did not have TPM sensors in there (although the seller insisted they did). The dealer allowed me to go into the shop and videotape the breakdown of one wheel so that I could send it to the seller of the wheels. The dealer then broke down the rest of the wheels and installed TPM sensors that I had picked up cheap from an online seller.

2. I needed some new rear brakes, and I wanted those low-dust brake pads so that my wheels don't get dirty so quickly. I bought all the parts online and the dealer installed them (even though the pads were not even a BMW product).

3. For four years, I had an extended warranty through my credit union, and the dealer always did a good job dealing with them and getting them to pay for things covered by the warranty, even when the warranty people were trying to claim that everything was a wear item or cosmetic, etc.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The 3k cost for this job including the VANOS line is very reasonable, thanks for sharing. It does seem like your dealer trys to do right by you, that is great to hear. If they did nab you for 6k worth of parts and 11k worth of labor they end up being way ahead though so they can afford to do other "nice" stuff for you.

I was the one that chimed in about how it is "somehow" conceivable there would be 11k worth of labor. They would drop the engine and trans from the bottom since it is quite abit faster and that is the default procedure for engine out service. All BMW dealers have a nice lift for that specifically. Assuming they bill out labor at a very high rate of $200/hr this should be not more than 20hrs, so your max labor bill at BMW should have been 4k at the most.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts