BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been on this board for a while but never really posted much. I do enjoy reading your guys' posts and it appears that there's a lot of knowledge here, which is something i appreciate greatly. I've owned several M3s before, including a couple e46 M3s so i am familiar with similar vintage BMWs, as well as cars in general. To make a long story short, I just bought an 03 with 106k and am doing some work on it to catch up on maintenance. Since i plan on keeping this car for a while, i thought i'd do the rod bearing replacement preventatively.

I called a few NorCal indy shops and was a little shocked at the labor cost for this job ... the lowest quote i got was $2,000 with me providing all the parts. The highest was $3700 from Performance Technic, which i thought was out of line for this work, although it did include parts.

I remember reading posts where members were paying around $1500 for this job in the past so i wonder if the above quotes are reasonable or if i should keep looking.

Is there anyone in or around NorCal or SoCal that knows of a place or fellow member that offers better rates for this job amd is qualified to do it properly?

Your help is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
It's roughly 11-13 hours, depending on the shop. Bearing prices have gone up a fair amount in the past few years, too. So, 2,000 isn't out of line, although 3700 is (PTech is a very well respected shop, but that's insane...)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, i am familiar with PTech as i took my e46 m3 there for some work a couple of years ago. I was just shocked at their quote ... a used S62 with decent mileage can be found for $4K nowadays :)

I'd be interested in hearing from others on the west coast that have had this done.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've heard good reviews for European Sports Car Garage on 16th. I'd be curious as to their quote.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I do virtually all mine own work, but have two recommendations:

Ive had work done once at Valley Motorwerks, (Walter) they are a member hear but haven seen them post in quite some time. Helped with a very very tricky diagnosis once. They are in Rancho Cordova, by whiterock and sunrise

I have work done on the Porsche at IBP-autosports- had to drop motor+trans, remove heads, reweld all 8 coolant fittings. Id never done it so had them do it. Ron is the guy there. Downtown Sacto

I trust there skills, cannot speak to their costs.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
You should do a search there was a very complete thread on this. Off the top of my pointed head $1200 for parts and 12 hours at $110 that is the best or worst part of $2500 but I think most of the quotes were $3000. I don't really remember maybe it was a Euro thread.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do virtually all mine own work, but have two recommendations:

Ive had work done once at Valley Motorwerks, (Walter) they are a member hear but haven seen them post in quite some time. Helped with a very very tricky diagnosis once. They are in Rancho Cordova, by whiterock and sunrise

I have work done on the Porsche at IBP-autosports- had to drop motor+trans, remove heads, reweld all 8 coolant fittings. Id never done it so had them do it. Ron is the guy there. Downtown Sacto

I trust there skills, cannot speak to their costs.
Ron at IPB came in with the $2k quote. I have yet to call Valley motorworks but i wilk do so soon.

Thanks for your help. How many miles are on your car, ard? Are you contemplating getting this done? I'm just curious.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should do a search there was a very complete thread on this. Off the top of my pointed head $1200 for parts and 12 hours at $110 that is the best or worst part of $2500 but I think most of the quotes were $3000. I don't really remember maybe it was a Euro thread.
Thanks Sailor, i did and thats why i was surprised ... the labor quotes i got were much higher.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Thanks Sailor, i did and thats why i was surprised ... the labor quotes i got were much higher.
Isn't there a "shortcut" method by dropping the oil pan? That might explain the difference in labor quotes. If the shop knows enough about the shortcut, they are probably pretty familiar with the M5 and rod bearing replacements.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
380 Posts
Isn't there a "shortcut" method by dropping the oil pan? That might explain the difference in labor quotes. If the shop knows enough about the shortcut, they are probably pretty familiar with the M5 and rod bearing replacements.

Regards,
Jerry
Yeah, the "shorcut" method is the one that most shops use. It essentially involves supporting the engine from above with a support brace, and then the subframe is dropped to access the upper oil pan. This is a lot quicker than the "official" method which involves removing the engine entirely. I did my rod bearings using the shortcut and it actually ended up being quite easy.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Sorry I did not read closely enough, your quotes were just the labour. I see why the thread then, those seem high. That said most shops will not make "book time" the first time they do a job. Maybe that is what you are seeing and would be better finding someone that hits the target time even if the hourly rate is higher. A guy who is low or a guy that is high may not have done the job. Also consider the posted rate. Price may not be the best, I would use a more expensive shop expecting better customer service, ETC

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Thanks @mgdmb

I almost did this job once or twice as PM, but never really followed through with the client. I've done the heavy lifting part of this job a lot of times (which would be supporting the engine and dropping the subframe to install headers), but have yet to completely go inside.

I would offer to do this for $2,000-2,200 depending on the cost of parts (last I checked parts were ~$800). If you're interested, I can look into it some more. I'm in SoCal

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks @mgdmb

I almost did this job once or twice as PM, but never really followed through with the client. I've done the heavy lifting part of this job a lot of times (which would be supporting the engine and dropping the subframe to install headers), but have yet to completely go inside.

I would offer to do this for $2,000-2,200 depending on the cost of parts (last I checked parts were ~$800). If you're interested, I can look into it some more. I'm in SoCal
If that figure includes parts, I am interested and would like to talk to you. Can you PM me your number? I'll be traveling for work for most of July but August may work and i could drive down the car to you, depending on your schedule and availability.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If that figure includes parts, I am interested and would like to talk to you. Can you PM me your number? I'll be traveling for work for most of July but August may work and i could drive down the car to you, depending on your schedule and availability.

Thanks.
Yes, it did include parts. PM'd you my number.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just realized this thread is old, anyone familiar with what’s reasonable for this job in today’s market?

Also, I was wondering how many cars out there with 100k+ kms without any issues (well we can’t knke that really until you take apart and look), but at least for now an estimate of 100+ vechicles still driving on OEM rods would be nice to know as it’s quite possible that only those post here with issues and not those without.

Also, do you guys know if BMW M engineers are on this forum at all?

Gerhard Richter won the prize for engine of the year back in 05 for the S85, is he here?
Haha

Any of his colleagues here? Come on anyone from the team that might know more about hi ga like tolerances and some such things for the rod bearings. Lol

Haha one can dream!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just realized this thread is old, anyone familiar with what’s reasonable for this job in today’s market?

Also, I was wondering how many cars out there with 100k+ kms without any issues (well we can’t knke that really until you take apart and look), but at least for now an estimate of 100+ vechicles still driving on OEM rods would be nice to know as it’s quite possible that only those post here with issues and not those without.

Also, do you guys know if BMW M engineers are on this forum at all?

Gerhard Richter won the prize for engine of the year back in 05 for the S85, is he here?
Haha

Any of his colleagues here? Come on anyone from the team that might know more about hi ga like tolerances and some such things for the rod bearings. Lol

Haha one can dream!
It’s not that old of a thread, but it is specific to the e39 M5. Looks like you’re asking about an e60 m5, so you might want to ask your crew over in that forum.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
17 Participants
pyite
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing