BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Or maybe you just found out that your solenoids are not holding oil. This is the reason I am looking at this, leaks and failure to activate. Next change, what I am going to do is to activate, then pull the noids to see if there is a difference in volume. Pulling them takes the best part of 8ltrs to fill. I think you maybe assuming something not in evidence. It maybe that activating does not get the oil out, pulling them does, but maybe yours are not holding back the oil. You are right it is the time to make sure they are working.
Previously someone reported that they got no oil from pulling his, so his are leaking, even the TIS warns that oil comes out when you pull them.

The other thing I am going to measure is side to side differences. Getting close but have been driving my truck so not racking the miles on my 5.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
What is the very noticeable "click" from the engine compartment a few seconds after shutdown? This does not seem to happen after every shutdown. Something definitely activates, could it be the solenoids?
That's the DME cycling the throttle plates fully open and fully closed to confirm the actuator, the TPS's, and the return spring work. A poster on here recently had a code for weak throttle return spring. I figure it was detected by the DME timing this test.

·
Registered
205 Posts
. i removed it and replaced the o-ring but what i ended up doing was removing the solenoid and replacing the o-ring with one from a junk maf. the fit was much better, tighter. i also added a bit of permatex #2 around the o-ring. since then it hasn't leaked a drop.
nightkrawler-this fix still holding? Considering doing it Fri as I am due for an oil change.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
For those of us without a Vbox, what constitutes a 0.9G corner? how do we know if the oil pump solenoids are ever activated. Will taking an off ramp marked for 25mph at 50mph do it?

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
When you hear the tires start to talk to you, depends on tires. That is the rule for any car approaching its limit. 1.3 Gs is when you are in the ditch.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have a few questions and a few things I want to point out for anyone "servicing" these solenoids.

First, There is an O-ring under the plastic electrical end cap. This is not shown on the diagram and not a separate part number. This seals the area and prevents moisture from entering the area and corrosion of the electrical connector. Neither of my solenoids had oil leaking from this end cap, and now that I have seen the design first hand I don't know how oil would leak from here. If it did, I would be concerned. Also, I don't see any need to remove the end cap, so if you don't want/need to, don't. If you do, then I have one tip to prevent damage. I chipped one of the edges before I realized this. The nut on the nylon washers can be tightened too much (from the factory) and cause the washer to deform around the stud and effectively lock to the stud like a nut would. So gently use small pliers to thread the nylon washer off before trying to remove the end cap.

Second, the original "main" o-ring (11137830114) that seals the outside of the oil pan was black, the new one is green (hopefully a better material less likely to leak). The 3 main o-rings are very close in size but each are 1mm different. If you mix them up, you can tell them apart with close inspection of the diameter.

Third, would be my question. Has anyone replaced the last o-ring (11441406693) that goes on the tip of the solenoids. It is much smaller. It did not come out with the solenoid. I assume to replace you have to fish it out of the oil pan hole? I am going to go look with a light and mirror and see what I see. Just wanted to see if anyone has input here.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for the info here. My seals were leaking so I pulled them out. Oil did drain for quite awhile, especially from the passenger side. Luckily, at 150K, both solenoids were firing freely. My driving style could be keeping them active.
BTW the o-rings are really expensive at about $50 for all 8 of them. I bet someone could make a few bucks putting together a kit to sell.

Anyone had luck replacing the inner most o-ring? That one looks like it could easily get lost inside the pump. I am thinking about keeping the existing one in.

·
Registered
118 Posts
These activate at .9g. They atrophy from lack of use and gum up. I made a harness with the correct plug so I can pulse them with 12v, do it every oil change. A stuck scavenging solinoid will result in oil starvation. BMW thought enough of the problem to develop the S62 as a semi dry sump. If these don’t activate with authority pull them out at clean them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
These activate at .9g. They atrophy from lack of use and gum up. I made a harness with the correct plug so I can pulse them with 12v, do it every oil change. A stuck scavenging solinoid will result in oil starvation. BMW thought enough of the problem to develop the S62 as a semi dry sump. If these don’t activate with authority pull them out at clean them.
Do you know if these are activated with only side to side momentum or will they also activate under straight line acceleration ? I’m thinking if most people street these cars (which they do) then there’s really no use for them at all. What kind of G load will these cars see on street tires compared to a track setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you know if these are activated with only side to side momentum or will they also activate under straight line acceleration ? I’m thinking if most people street these cars (which they do) then there’s really no use for them at all. What kind of G load will these cars see on street tires compared to a track setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They activate @ >0.9g Lateral. My car can pull 1.3g on street tires(Michalen PSS) and effectively stock suspension. They are absolutely necessary for a track day or even a hard canyon run.

I attached the S62 training manual for those who want to know more about the system.

Attachments

81 - 91 of 91 Posts