BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Rod Bearing Failure Class Action Lawsuit

35K views 146 replies 75 participants last post by  Spacy 
#1 ·
I'm sure a few have heard of this on other forums, but figured it might apply to someone here. There is a class action lawsuit being prepared against BMW for S65 rod bearing failures. Since the suspected mechanism and associated parts are the same as the S85, the legal firm is seeking owners who experienced engine failure or similar as a result of spun rod bearings.

Initially, from what I've heard, the filing was made in NJ, but the plaintiff in CA so BMW filed motion to dismiss. The firm is seeking owners from all states in the US who have experienced this.

Will post contact info as soon as I have an email address.

#3 ·
I hope this goes somewhere. Maybe we can get a better replacement for our S85's that haven't spun yet.

#9 · (Edited)
What about all the owners who took care of their rod bearings knowing it was an issue?? Or do you have to actually lose your engine to be heard which is stupid in itself.

#12 ·
That would be great in a real world but we shall see as I have seen a few of these class action lawsuits on other models and they go nowhere.

Reactions: rt7085
#11 ·
Very early to tell any of that. My guess is found in favor of plaintiff, it might be similar to the Mini timing belt chain tensioner class action that just came in the mail for my wife's '09 Clubman. It pays restitution for parts and labor for changing the tensioner prior to failure.

Again, all very early in the process to really answer anything.

#14 ·
Subscribed.

#15 ·
Definitely hope this pans out. I'm still traumatized from my engine failure almost exactly 3 years ago (Mar 16, 2013 - it's etched in memory).

We should talk to Troy and have him reach out to all his customers. Just talked to him a couple days ago and he had just sold the 200th engine and I'm sure the majority of those buyers had rod bearing issues.

#19 ·
:New bag of popcorn in microwave:

will be following intently

We should talk to Troy and have him reach out to all his customers. Just talked to him a couple days ago and he had just sold the 200th engine and I'm sure the majority of those buyers had rod bearing issues.
Definitely do this! Troy is one of the main if not the major player in this who can provide real world numbers/data to support the case.

#23 ·
Sub'ed

#27 ·
the ONLY thing that hasn't failed on my car yet are the rod bearings. Its the only reason I'm not willing to drive it anymore. about to cross 49k miles and far to busy to do the swap. maybe something will come I'm subscribed ill follow this in other places as well maybe get them changed for free...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.