BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gentlemen,tomorrow is the day!Will drop my oil pan on the beast and replace my rob bearings.Some may say I'm paranoid,but this seems to be the only thing that really kills our engines.So I just change them on my 80K miles beast with stock RPM limit.
Also it was not that expensive(less than 500$ for parts) and it is worth to me rather than having to buy a new engine.
Will update with pics and maybe a short first starting video as soon as work is done.

Thanks to PHakes for the rod clearence data he sent me!

Picked up all my parts from the dealer today,so here are the first pics....sorry, crappy pics due to mobile camera...

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6811/02102009001.jpg

·
Registered
715 Posts
Wow, what a project. Sounds really interesting.

BTW - your picture doesnt work

·
Registered
715 Posts
ah ha!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Good luck! Sounds like you'll be having a fun weekend

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the motivating words!
The job itself does not bother me at all,am only a bit scared what I might find(wear on crank,stuff in oil pan,...).And the plan is to drive home with the car in the evening:D

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I'm guessing header and x-pipe install when you put it all back together. Sound like fun to me! :checkeredflag:

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not yet in the mood for that stuff,have to take out my tranny soon due to a leaking rear main sealing and also have to do diff sealing.Will throw these things in when I'm on it,I guess.But the we wil see.First the mechanical issues sorted out,then time for the performance parts.And the winter is long here in the north...:D

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Looking forward to the update -

Good luck!

Dave

·
Registered
453 Posts
Way to go VantaaM5! :byee55amg

I will try to drop by tomorrow, before I go to the xTreme Car Show :rolleyes:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Cant wait, I will do this when I hit 80k. Please post all the part numbers and everything and update the first thread so i can print it! ;) Thank you so much for going out of your way to show us this DIY.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I can't wait !

Actually it IS tomorrow in Norway now !!!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Guys,be patient!
After having breakfast now,I go to the workshop and start...
Unfortunately no Internet there,so you have to wait till late evening today for updates

BTW,has anyone a good shrink for me if I find something unpleasant in my engine?ouich
Maybe should take some Vodka along to forget what I have seen:haha:

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So,guys pulled them all and does not look that bad,but good time to change anyway!
Send updated pics later....

Thanks to Sipi and Mailman(dualfun) for their emotional support:goldcup:cherrsagaicherrsagaicherrsagaicherrsagai

But someone gotta do the work anyway....

Put it all back together tomorrow,now off to the bar with my social group:2::2:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Awesome. Glad someones finally taking on the task! Are you replacing the lower half only? I wish you the best of luck! I think i might be doing mine soon too, maybe over winter time!

1 - 20 of 328 Posts