BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to do the rod bearing PM now that I’m at 75k miles. Looking up all of the posts on the BE bearings, OEM, etc...but cannot find much on the ACL brand.

They are several hundred $$$ less than the BE or OEM, but are in line to other bearing sets for other non BMW’s. Anyone used these in their s85? I’m definitely not cheap ( my M makes the 3rd of my small BMW fleet of 3, lol ), but hate to just stick with a brand if another company offers a competitive product that performs and is not jacking up prices just because they are for a BMW.

Reactions: Jahangeer

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd stick with OEM or the Improved BE spec bearings produced by the OEM manufacturer personally. I'm using BE spec for mine, in shop right now actually for it

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't think you'll read much about the ACL bearings here....I've not heard of it. I installed BE's in mine and they are doing fine so far.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe troy jeupp can chime in on this....i read somewhere he uses them for his builds.....if I’m not mistaken of course;)
Would be interesting to know for sure. At about $235 a set for the ACL’s versus $660 for the BE’s there is a huge price difference. I’m almost tempted to buy two sets of the ACL’s and run one set for a while then tear it apart to see...if only it wasn’t such a task to take everything off to get to them. I don’t plan to ever track my car...just the normal spirited driving, so I would say that almost any bearing with the proper clearance would hold up fine.

My problem is that I bought my car used so I have no idea of how it was treated :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would love to know the outcome of this. I saw these a few weeks ago and didnt think much about them, but maybe we would save some cash because of the “Brand” of the rod bearings. Also considering most of have never heard of anyone running these rod bearings in our engines. Hopefully they have the characteristics to compete with BE bearings and we can save the extra $300 for a different mod as well

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to know the outcome of this. I saw these a few weeks ago and didnt think much about them, but maybe we would save some cash because of the “Brand” of the rod bearings. Also considering most of have never heard of anyone running these rod bearings in our engines. Hopefully they have the characteristics to compete with BE bearings and we can save the extra $300 for a different mod as well
I’m going to give the sales rep closest to me a call tomorrow to inquire more in these as the online info looks promising. Seems the race series ( under $250 USD ) has about .011” copper layer so Oil Analysis should be able to easily pickup if you get into the copper layer before you hit the steel backer and do some crank damage.

The other promising thing is that they offer a bearing with an extra .001” oil clearance versus the standard size so that would help with the OE bearing clearance.

I’ll post back once I contact them to get some low down on their quality, return policy if they are not in spec, etc...

Here’s a pic of their layers...

Attachments

Reactions: mfettara

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’m going to give the sales rep closest to me a call tomorrow to inquire more in these as the online info looks promising. Seems the race series ( under $250 USD ) has about .011” copper layer so Oil Analysis should be able to easily pickup if you get into the copper layer before you hit the steel backer and do some crank damage.

The other promising thing is that they offer a bearing with an extra .001” oil clearance versus the standard size so that would help with the OE bearing clearance.

I’ll post back once I contact them to get some low down on their quality, return policy if they are not in spec, etc...

Here’s a pic of their layers...

Awesome!! Keep us posted

·
Registered
761 Posts
Awesome!! Keep us posted
They work. From what I have seen they work the same if not better than BE. I used them 4-years ago and saw one of my 6.0 from back then and the bearings looked fabulous considering the abuse they took. Bearings cost like $3/shell. Just shows you how much markup BE has. Bearings are big business with these m cars and I am not about to fight anyone on which is best as I don't sell bearings. But you get my drift here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They work. From what I have seen they work the same if not better than BE. I used them 4-years ago and saw one of my 6.0 from back then and the bearings looked fabulous considering the abuse they took. Bearings cost like $3/shell. Just shows you how much markup BE has. Bearings are big business with these m cars and I am not about to fight anyone on which is best as I don't sell bearings. But you get my drift here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Good to know someone has tried them with success indeed. I spent a few hours on the phone and email yesterday in order to get more info on these. Seems they show in ACL’s catalog, but several places in the US could not cross the P/N even though they sold ACL bearings. There is an Amazon/eBay seller that has them and they also have a brick and mortar store in Cali, you can get them direct from ACL US, or you can get them from an Australian company. Prices go like this:

From ACL US direct: ~375 USD
From boostproject (Amazon/eBay/shop in Cali): ~235 USD
From M.D. Spares (Australian company): $214 AUS which is about $165 USD....that’s for the complete set.

From the above, looks pretty typical for pricing...ACL US direct is the list, but provide discounts to their distributors (which are listed as sales people on their site, but none have the info on these specific bearings, lol), boostprojects probably buys them from Australia and makes about $100 per set to handle and the faster shipping in the US, and M.D. Spares is getting them locally in Australia from the factory so their price is the best.

Overall, right in line to prices for other non-S85b50 bearings in the world which makes sense as when it is all boiled down, they are just a rod bearing.

The website with the info is aclraceseries.com and it all reads good plus with the copper layer one should be able to pickup the wear with Oil Analysis.

I pulled the trigger on a set from boostprojects for the .001” additional clearance as the M.D. Spares web site stated that there are no returns for international orders and I won’t know the quality of the dimensions till I get some plastigage on them during the rebuild. I might also buy a set from M.D. Spares out of Australia of the Standard size just to see if I need to mix them to get the gaps spot on...heck, if $165 USD why not, lol. If I find I do need to mix them I will have another complete mixed set for a project car or something.

Wish me luck ! We’ll see when I check the gaps once I start this rebuild in a few months. I’ll be sure to post back, but not planning to do this till June so it will be a couple months

·
Registered
184 Posts
Subscribed. This is great news.
I am going to do mine in a few months - I was completely sold on the BE. I can't wait to hear a few reviews on this.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I should get mine back today from bearings and other work, stuck with BE since same manufacturer who makes theirs, makes the OEM bearings for S85

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Called ACL ( the USA main office ) today to get some more info on the sales of these specific bearings...here’s the low down:

They only show selling 20 sets of the 10B1580HX ( the .001” extra oil clearance ones) to US distributors so far since added to the main US catalogue...most went to the Boostprojects company. They could not tell me the sales directly out of the Australia plant, but the company in Australia that sells them ( a least the one I found) replied back that they have them in stock so at least they are stocking them and are not doing one off buys from the plant.

Looks like these are truly not well known for our S85’s in the USA...even more excited to see how these mic out when they get here !

Maybe I should start me a “Guinea Pig S85 ACL bearing” Go Fund Me account in case I blow my awesome V10 up in the name of science ! ???

No fear...from everything I’ve learned over the years on engine bearings, my opinion is that clearance, oil cleanliness, and oil pressure are the most important things.... as long as the layers don’t delaminate or something crazy like that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As I stated earlier about Troy using them...

http://www.m5board.com/#/topics/303721?page=3

See post #25.

Keep us updated!
Nice ! And that was back in 2014 too. Took me a few tries to get the link to work so I could see your reference, lol....had to open a new browser page to get it to google your link.

I may not have to setup that Go Fun Me account after all if these have been running in several rebuilds and no one has heard of major failures ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't hesitate to buy from M.D. Spares. I bought a set of HX bearings a few weeks ago but have not installed them yet. Total cost with shipping was roughly $210 US and arrived in three or four days. Their customer service is great too; Roz usually replied to my emails with a few hours.

From what I read a few weeks ago, ACL was out of business until recently. The ACL company customer service is also great. I asked them a few questions and one of the engineers replied fairly quickly.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems like our S85’s are slowly & proggresively getting more affordable to maintain overall!!
Yes, seems there is a big enough audience that re-engineering is still worth the effort, especially with several years if experience from folks on what the big problems are.

I just wish someone would come out with a compatible lower cost 3 pedal manual transmission kit or adapter setup that would bolt up on these engines...bet they would sell thousands if there was a way to bolt up a higher production ( thus lower cost ) trans to these

1 - 20 of 126 Posts