BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I just got my M5 about 3 days ago, and i have noticed a lot of rock chips in the front of the car. It looks like my hood and bumper needs to get re-painted.

But I don't know what to do with the headlights. It seems like I don't have a lot of light on the road, and all I can think of is that the headlight have just as many rock chips as the car if not more.

So I looked up refinishing up headlights and I came across this 3M product, But I dont know if this will fix rock chips? I'm wondering if anyone has tried this before and what is their success story with this item?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...rmarket/Products/Featured_Products/Headlight/

Let me know thanks.

Harry

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I wouldn't recommend refinishing the headlights yourself, it's a fairly tedious process. I had a local wheel refinisher do mine when he did my wheels. I think I paid him $80 for the lights and they look good as new. Body shops are also familiar with the refinishing process, I'd have one of them do it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't recommend refinishing the headlights yourself, it's a fairly tedious process. I had a local wheel refinisher do mine when he did my wheels. I think I paid him $80 for the lights and they look good as new. Body shops are also familiar with the refinishing process, I'd have one of them do it.
Agreed, But i wonder if the rock chips will be gone if i do this? I do need to find a good dealer that will do this for me and do a good job, as i need the fogs and head lights to be done.

·
Registered
750 Posts
There are posts on here on how to rough sand them down, wet sand, polish, and wax to bring them back up to looking normal. I've simply used a random orbital buffer with various grades of Menzerna polish and improved mine about 70%. BTW when I opened my lights to fix the adjusters I used glass cleaner to clean the ellipsoid lenses and reflectors, etc with good improvement. A decade of particulates and condensation on these surfaces has left most everyone's lights a tad weaker. The 2003's however can't be opened without major surgery on the plastic (do a search here). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had used the 3m product on my MY00, after ten years the light covers looked awful, and I was very impressed with the results. It took me around 2 hours to do. I did have to buy another kit because I ran out of one type of pad and they don't sell them individually. It was a very easy project as long as you have the right rpm drill. I tried using a cordless drill and it wasn't fast enough so I used a corded drill. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used the 3M kit on my headlights and came up like new. As Chris_M5 says a cordless drill probably won't be fast enough. Just takes time and patients at each stage to get the best finish.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot guys, I'm going to give it a try and see what i come up with

1 - 8 of 8 Posts