BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How accurate are those automated roadside emissions checkpoints?
Is anyone running without primary or secondary cats concerned about those things?
I passed through one of those the other day. I'll see soon enough if my mod is detectable by that.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
we don't have any roadside stops here...but occasionally the State Police pull over trucks for spot inspections.....no cars yet, for emmisions.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are set up on the on-ramp to the highway, so by the time you see it its too late. There's a van on the shoulder with what looks like an infrared type of camera on one side and a camera to get your license plate.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Whoa, wait a second...they're testing the emissions as you drive by? Without even stopping you?

Hmm...I'd be questioning the accuracy of those, too. I'm sure that some argument could be made about how extraneous gases were present as you drove by that affected the reading.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I think they are looking for "Gross Polluters" .........it can't be accurate with much detail....

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I think they are looking for "Gross Polluters" .........it can't be accurate with much detail....
+1

They do the same Gross Polluters testing in D/FW area. Yearly emission's testing is where they might catch vehicles w/o cats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts