BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone have the exact technical specs for road holding (in g) and steering ratio for the 3.6 or 3.8 models?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Do you need to use a G meter to know when you're at the limit, or do you just use common sense? What does the amount of G tell you that you would use on a day to day basis?

Most enthusiasts wouldn't need to know how many G their car could push, as they would realise that this was entirely dependent on lots of factors (e.g. tyre compound, tyre pattern, tyre wear, suspension geometry, vehicle load, weather conditions, road surface, etc.).

The difference between an e34 on slicks in the snow (maybe 0.1g) to an e34 on road tyres on a road (maybe 0.8g), to an e34 with full race suspension, race slicks, hot track (maybe 1.2g) is too big to give a definitive answer.

Those figures assume you mean lateral (sideways) G - you've also got acceleration G and braking G - all part of roadholding/handling.

Steering ratio is 15.6:1.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you need to use a G meter to know when you're at the limit, or do you just use common sense? What does the amount of G tell you that you would use on a day to day basis?

Most enthusiasts wouldn't need to know how many G their car could push, as they would realise that this was entirely dependent on lots of factors (e.g. tyre compound, tyre pattern, tyre wear, suspension geometry, vehicle load, weather conditions, road surface, etc.).

The difference between an e34 on slicks in the snow (maybe 0.1g) to an e34 on road tyres on a road (maybe 0.8g), to an e34 with full race suspension, race slicks, hot track (maybe 1.2g) is too big to give a definitive answer.

Those figures assume you mean lateral (sideways) G - you've also got acceleration G and braking G - all part of roadholding/handling.

Steering ratio is 15.6:1.
Well I am talking about the lateral g in a regular stock car. And I needed the info just to see how this model compares to the newer stock M5 models not to see how much I could push the car.

Thanks for the info on the steering ratio.

Rob

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Rod,
I say this gently, but my comment would be that you are over-thinking the matter. Forget the numbers-too many variables, go with your gut.

·
10,458 Posts
And I needed the info just to see how this model compares to the newer stock M5 models not to see how much I could push the car.
Rob
Stock for stock, i'd assume they are very similar.
both of mine are modded, and if you throw them both into a similar corner, the e39 would tend to plow while the e34 would tend to hang out the tail.

If you go to bmwe34m5.com then go to faq, then to e34, you can download and read contemporary road tests from when the car was new, and find the hard data.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock for stock, i'd assume they are very similar.
both of mine are modded, and if you throw them both into a similar corner, the e39 would tend to plow while the e34 would tend to hang out the tail.

If you go to bmwe34m5.com then go to faq, then to e34, you can download and read contemporary road tests from when the car was new, and find the hard data.

Thanks , that is very helpful

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Rod,
I say this gently, but my comment would be that you are over-thinking the matter. Forget the numbers-too many variables, go with your gut.

I know :confused3 but I am so confused and it's very hard to make a decision , I am stuck in analysis paralysis. Gut instinct tells me I want a clean low milage E34 because it's authentic , well put together and more rare. I read the issues about the E39 and frankly it scares me a little though the low end torque is seductive.

But I still feel the E34 is true to the original philosophy of Bmw whereas the E39 has sold out.

I will be making a decision very soon :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool! which m5 are u looking to buy?
or do you already own one?
that's what I have a hard time deciding on , I love to get my hands on a good E34 with low milage, but I also am looking at a very clean E39.

I am thinking of buying the E39 , see how I like it and in the meantime wait for a clean E34 and at that time I can sell the E39 .

It's very hard to make a decision , how about yourself?

·
Registered
25 Posts
that's what I have a hard time deciding on , I love to get my hands on a good E34 with low milage, but I also am looking at a very clean E39.

I am thinking of buying the E39 , see how I like it and in the meantime wait for a clean E34 and at that time I can sell the E39 .

It's very hard to make a decision , how about yourself?
well, there are two e34's that i know of that is for sale.
a black one imported from germany and a red canadian one.
i took a look at the red one and liked it quite a bit.

i'm just wondering if i should sell the e46 i have right now
it is currently for sale so i'm looking at what offers may come in.

those two e34's are on craigslist if you didn't already see it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, there are two e34's that i know of that is for sale.
a black one imported from germany and a red canadian one.
i took a look at the red one and liked it quite a bit.

i'm just wondering if i should sell the e46 i have right now
it is currently for sale so i'm looking at what offers may come in.

those two e34's are on craigslist if you didn't already see it.
Yeah I wanted a black one and the one you are talking about is kind of high milage and doesn't look very clean though I was tempted to go look for it. So I am waiting for something better to pop out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts