BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a road trip from Texas to Washington via California. With gas prices the way they are, would the V10 be OK with mid grade fuel during the trip? Scenario; lets say I fill up with premium. Next stop I use regular or mid grade and continue until I reach my final destination. At which point I go back to premium. The local BMW service writer says no harm will be done. Opinions please. BTW, I did a search for a related topic, but was unsuccessful.:M5launch:

·
Registered
907 Posts
I read a really convincing FULL page article in USA Today about a year ago that stated that ANY car made ( with the exception of turbo cars and supercharged cars ) since about 1996 had sophisticated enough ECU's to run REGULAR gas as the ECU's would retard the timing enough so that no harm would come. ESPECIALLY if you are gonna be running on the freeway 95% of the time...I wouldn't worry at ALL about running midgrade. Unless someone I deemed to be an expert told me otherwise......but in this article they cited all kinds of experts including auto manufacturers who also as I recall stated in this article that a lot of the jist behind gas restrictions are to cover the bases in smaller countries and places where the lower level gas might be REALLY bad.....

GREAT roadtrip by the way.....you are gonna have a blast... as a veteran of many ......try to leave yourself enough time to do it right....not too rushed.

Chris

·
Registered
303 Posts
I was getting about 18mpg going to Las Vegas from Los Angeles. I am not sure if changing the grade of gasoline would make a worth while improvement. I'd air on the safe side since it is a 100k car!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Since when is trying to save money a bad thing?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Stick to premium

I was getting about 18mpg going to Las Vegas from Los Angeles. I am not sure if changing the grade of gasoline would make a worth while improvement. I'd air on the safe side since it is a 100k car!
I did the same trip and saw my highest yet- 19.6mpg. Previously hadn't seen better then 15.5. I only get 7.4mpg in the city. Gasoline grade won't help mpg- i don't think that's what the OP meant.

To the OP, I'd never put anything lower than 91 in our cars. It's one of the highest revving and most advanced engines on the road. Hell, 91 is the same as European 95 and that's the worst stuff they sell on that side of the pond.

87/89 is rental car fuel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm

you own a $100k or $50k[minimum] and you're gonna get cheap and put in <93octane?
Wow, we almost made it 2 hours without the cynical comments starting. Jr. when you own an e60, then you can make statements like you know what you're talking about. Your point is noted, however devoid of validity. If I can save an extra $80 on my trip, that's $80 more I can spend in Vegas.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the same trip and saw my highest yet- 19.6mpg. Previously hadn't seen better then 15.5. I only get 7.4mpg in the city. Gasoline grade won't help mpg- i don't think that's what the OP meant.

To the OP, I'd never put anything lower than 91 in our cars. It's one of the highest revving and most advanced engines on the road. Hell, 91 is the same as European 95 and that's the worst stuff they sell on that side of the pond.

87/89 is rental car fuel.
Good point sir. However if I am driving at 3000rpm and not racing anyone, will I do any harm? That's my question.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No one really knows what different gas grades are doing to an engine unless they actually take one apart after an extensive study. So, until then we're all going off what they tell us. As far as, "I'm going to use the most expensive gas there is because I own a $100k car", you fit right into what they want us to believe at the pump. I've owned many expensive cars and have used mid-grade in all off them with nothing ever happening. At the track is where it really makes a difference. I've used mid-grade gas ever since the prices have gotten out of control and my baby is running just fine. It's not the cost of gas for me, it's the principle of this whole gas nightmare that they're suckering us into.

Reactions: PennsM5

·
Registered
638 Posts
The ECU on the car will adjust the engine to the Octane. The lower the Octane the less power you will have. If saving $2-3 per fill up is worth having less horsepower then do it. For that little saving I rather keep the car in 500S and know I have max horsepower if I need it.
I would think driving out in the middle of the desert on a nice wide open highway and some S63 Mercedes pulls along side you and wants to have some fun you will want to have max horsepower.

Reactions: mrpropaganda
1 - 11 of 11 Posts