BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting my car on Monday morning. Flying out from San Diego to pick it up in the Chicago area, new from a dealer. Titanium Silver, Black Nappa Point leather, Sport interior, shades, and fold down seat.

Anyway, driving back to San Diego with my 15 year old son. Taking the whole week to drive with no agenda...drive as long or as short everyday as we want. We even made a web site to post pictures everyday about the other cars we see, strange things, and so on. I'll post it if anyone wants to see the pictures.

But enough of the trivial things...I have questions.

NAV - Any tips on using it? Any suggestions that would save me on the learning curve on the controls in general? Can it be made to get TV? (son wants to know)

Care and Feeding - Since it is brand new, I realize that I have to "break it in". Any tips since I will be putting on around 2,000 miles on it while drivimg home. How often to stop..and so on (after all, we are not in a hurry). How much oil should I carry and how often should I manually check it?

Tire Pressure - Should I just rely and ask the dealer to make sure that the tire pressure is ok? Any suggestions based on experience for PSI front and back?

I think thats it...any tips would be appreciated!

Larry

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Larry,
congrats. Definately post the site! I have 1800mi on a ti silver/ black/ wood m5- great car.

*NAV - Any tips on using it? Any suggestions that would save me on the learning curve on the controls in general? Can it be made to get TV? (son wants to know)

I think the euro models might have a tv tuner- but ours dont have it. tips on using it- its a cd rom based system and you should be sure to get the cds you want (ie california) but that cd probably doesnt have really detailed info on your entire drive- ask with the dealer about this if you want it. as far as using it, its fairly easy, there is a menu system that is operated by rotating the knob closest to the screen- you push the knob in as a way of selecting options. you enter your destination city first, as you enter letters, the computer tries to figure out where you are going- for example, if you enter S-A-N-Space- it would know youre not going to LA. It takes some time to process so dont freak out if it seems to be paused. also, give it a try before youre moving- its a lot to look at the first few times. the system will also tell you where you are right now.

the audio system needs a lot of tuning (IMHO) check the other posts about this.

*Care and Feeding - Since it is brand new, I realize that I have to "break it in". Any tips since I will be putting on around 2,000 miles on it while drivimg home. How often to stop..and so on (after all, we are not in a hurry). How much oil should I carry and how often should I manually check it?

Im sure you know- no full throttle for the first 1200 miles, no over 5.5krpm- I suggest you buy some oil from the dealer a few quarts to have just in case, but I just had the 1200 mi service done at 1600mi and they only had to barely top it off. I would check it every 750 miles just to check, but I dont think youll have any problems. follow the cars directions- its specific to the m5.

*Tire Pressure - Should I just rely and ask the dealer to make sure that the tire pressure is ok? Any suggestions based on experience for PSI front and back?

I tried to get the correct pressures from BMW NA and the dealer, the manual, the door jam, every one had a different opinion. My dealer now tells me they recommend 38/41. I bumped this to 39/41. before that I had it at 40/42. so this is probably a decent range.

Have fun and be sure to bring a good radar detector! (I recommend valentine 1)

ME

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by MEnthusiast:
Larry,
congrats. Definately post the site! I have 1800mi on a ti silver/ black/ wood m5- great car.

ME
I will post the site after we clean it up a bit. Just walked in the door after the 2,345.4 mile trip from Chicago Heights, IL to San Diego, CA. Picked up the car on Monday July 24th. By the time I got to Denver, I did my 1200 mile service at Ralph Schomp BMW in Denver. These guys were great. I called them 40 miles outside of Denver and they said "Sure, bring it on in and we will help you!". I got there and they had me done in about an hour. Awesome! I had the service engine soon light come on when I got to Las Vegas. I drove directly to the dealership, and they were super busy....but even so they jumped all over my problem. Four of them (including the manager) had to come and and take a look at the car. Turns out the fuel vapor discharge control valve had failed. They did not have the part so I called the local dealer where I live and they ordered the part so I can get in fixed on Wednesday. Anyway, I hope to post a message soon on the trip and how the car handled and ran during the LONG trip from Chicago Heights to San Diego. What a way to break it in...nice and smooth. Also only used 1/2 quart of oil during the entire trip. Averaged around 20 miles per gallon as well. I stuck to the break in rules the entire way inluding a run up to 135 miles per hour when I jut had to pass a Mitsubishi 3000GT who was playing around with me. I waiting until I had him on a nice hill with a wide sweeping turn to show him what the 400HP is all about. We waved as we crusied by him and then slowed down to crusing speed again.

Great car...I love the metal interior better than I thought..I am glad I got it. Everything worked ok in the car except the fuel vapor valve that failed.

The nav worked great..even without the proper CD's for the midwest it still gives you all the major highways which helped. Funny how it tells you to take off ramps and get right back on...very strange.

More to come later...

Larry

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by MEnthusiast:
Larry,
glad to hear youre enjoying the car- let us know!

ME
The site is up and at
http://bmw_roadtrip2000.tripod.com/roadtrip/

Make sure to put the / at the end.

It talks about the various places we went and the three dealers we dealt with. Bought it from Levin BMW in Chicago Heights. Nice guys but Peter Levin will try to up you on the price and squeeze you...all the while he is talking nice he is grinding you for more..more.
This site was 90 percent constructed by my soon to be 15 year old son while we were on the road trip from the various hotel rooms. I will be putting a complete review of the car on it with interior pictures so people who want to see the metal interior with black nappa point leather will be able to check it out. It was fun doing the trip and posting the pictures.

Hope someone enjoys the site. It was a heck of a 2300+ mile trip! I highly recommend to anyone having to get a car out of state to just fly out and pick it up...drive it back. Enjoy the country..and relax a bit. Best mini-vacation I have had in a long time.

Larry

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Larry,
fantastic website- glad youre enjoying the car. I found your review comment about the m5s lack of dive or roll to be very interesting because thats part of the "balance" that I think most bmws exhibit and why I like them. friends usually think I got the m5 for the 400hp. while thats great- what I like about BMWs and especially the M cars is they engineer them to be as balanced as possible and to minimize confidence eroding sensations like pitch and dive and roll. I also the steering is almost excelent (my previous m3 was a tad bit crisper). their insistence on getting as close to 50/50 weight distribution is commendable, great breaks, etc.

ME

1 - 6 of 6 Posts