BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a 1500 mile round trip to the beach for a week. At first, I was nervous about driving my E60 M5 on this trip. I've never had any issues thus far with my car, nor taken it on any long road trip away from home. But some of the horror stories I read on this forum about SMG issues, Vanos, and rod bearings...I felt like I was taking a chance. Before this vacation trip, the longest round trip I've taken with the M5 was around 200 miles and put approx. 2000 miles on it since purchase last summer. The car ran very well, set cruise at 75mph and averaged 20.5mpg.

Maintenance before trip;
- Replaced SMG motor relay and Transmission Oil Pump relay
- Checked SMG hydraulic fluid level, didn't even need topped off.
- Bled Slave Cylinder and SMG pump block. (shifts much faster)
- Engine oil changed less than 500 miles before trip
- Replaced fuel filter (just PM and piece of mind)
- Re-Balanced all wheels / tires, set pressures at 40psi.
- Checked coolant and brake fluid levels, both were fine.

Based of suggestions from members, I packed a spare tire, 2 litres of TWS 10-60 oil, small tool kit, small jack, jumper cables, and portable 12v air compressor. Thankfully I didn't need to use any of these items, in fact, when I departed, my engine oil level was at 1.0, when I returned, its shows 0.9L after checking. Glad to see my engine is not consuming oil!

Now, since cooling temperature has become a topic in the past week, the only thing that concerned me during the trip was the water temp got just a little past 210 deg F when driving down the interstate with AC on. I'd say 215-220 max. When I turned the AC off, the water temp dropped just below 210. Ambient temperature was 90 - 95 deg. F. After driving 100 miles or so with temperature around 215, I was no longer concerned and kept the AC on. I know the engine has to work slightly harder to run the AC compressor, so I assumed this was all. Coolant level is spot on and cooling fan is working normal, cycling through all the speeds.

Typically, I've never seen water temp rise past 210, yet again, this is the first time I've driven non stop on a tank of gas in 90+ deg weather. Hopefully this is not abnormal.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Wait, what's your question? Your scenario above looks to be normal in terms of temps. Nothing to really be concerned about but seems like your car did well.

Dan

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Are you talking about water temp or oil temp. The gauge in the car is for oil. You need to get into the hidden menu to see coolant temp (#7 = KTMP)
Sorry, I guess this is oil temp?? First car I've seen oil temp instead of coolant...learn something new every day about this beast! Generally 210 Deg. F is the center for water temp. The oil symbol should have gave it away...my bad!

What do I need to do to get into the hidden menu for coolant temp?

I'm sure everything is normal, just was my first time seeing the oil temp rise over 210.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
In addition, let me assure you that these cars have no overheating issues.

If everything is working, it is quite difficult to get the overheat message even if you try to get it deliberately.

I got the message only once, and it took drifting in 1st gear for about 30 mins in 100f ambient temperature to get there. So it will only overheat if something is not working.

Just enjoy the car. Take care of it, and it will take care of you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In addition, let me assure you that these cars have no overheating issues.

If everything is working, it is quite difficult to get the overheat message even if you try to get it deliberately.

I got the message only once, and it took drifting in 1st gear for about 30 mins in 100f ambient temperature to get there. So it will only overheat if something is not working.

Just enjoy the car. Take care of it, and it will take care of you.
Thank you. I'm big on preventive maintenance. It was a joy to drive for 11hrs, definitely a car worth taking on long boring road trips!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts