BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well that's Christmas over, :happybirt

Me and the family Mac headed over to Ireland for the hols and took the 740i. Now knowing the weather was crap I wanted to take the e34 but the weather is why I didn't too. I have never been caught out in the e34 in the snow to date or in the e39! The e38 while more comfortable and easier to drive. It only has a standard diff!

I remember taking the e34 in sun, rain and snow to west cork without a hitch delivering smile upon smile in the sporty surroundings and turning the steering wheel and it doing what you tell it immediately, scaring the bejesus out of the better half while staying exactly where she should be, dropping down a gear or two to dispense with slower vehicles, and approaching eau rouge2 (on the road between glengarriff and adrigole you come through a very twisty bit over the mountain and there she is in all her glory a downhill approach to a very steep uphill for approx 500yards and a blind right hander which I only slowed for this year since the first time) and after I firstly went round that corner I have never approached it slowly again till the snow of this year. :noSMG::noSMG:

All this and returning an average of 25 mpg overall round trip over approx 1200 miles. That was in 2001!

Fast forward 9 years and 6months and we have the 740i, now with same two adults but two little men and a ton of luggage to bag us down. Damn I forgot this car was such an all rounder it's so smooth and still has the venom to dispense with most cars in it's wake with absolute ease, 292bhp and 324lbs of twist help it along and all happening while I can still hear Adam Sandler in Bedtime Stories still audible while playing on the iPad entertaining the chaps comfortable and unaware of the warp speeds being achieved outside.

The snow was so bad around west cork we decided to stay a night in Dungarvan, just east of cork city, so we could attack the roads in the daylight. We got going the next day and headed along the main roads to ease the pain as some of the mountain roads were dangerous as one of the in laws found to their detriment resulting in a spin and damage to the front and rear of his Meriva! I followed other cars most of the way staying safe, we had a few hairy moments with the rear stepping out even on the straights with slight camber changes. Would have had more laughs if I was alone:wroom::wroom:

Well got there safely and soundly and fortunately snow thawed out for the return trip and a more normal drive ensued.

To compare, 25mpg in the e34 and 23mpg in the e38

Easy drive in the e38 to a fun drive in the e34

Comfort in the e38 to comfort in the e34

Immediate response in the e34 to forward thinking when attacking corners in the e38

To round up I so love driving the e34 and love driving the e38.

Only for the weather I would never tire from driving the e38 on a road trip with the family in tow but the e34 is very much MY car and MY car only and will be shared on my terms:byebye:

The e34 often gets described as a garage queen which she isn't as I will drive her in most weathers but she is a queen as she gets spoilt:wroom:
as do I when I get to drive her:wroom::wroom::wroom:

·
Registered
206 Posts
The the 7 series was a good choice! The way Irelands roads are I wouldn't take my M5.
I've visited Ireland many times over the last 17 years in various cars and done many pleasurable miles there in the past but last time was a bad experience. We went for 3 weeks and toured the midlands, north and south of Ireland in my e34 540 Touring with Sport suspension and split rims. The problem was the condition the roads, there not being maintained, deep potholes every where, not suited to the hard Sport suspension and split rims on the 540. In the past I've always enjoyed driving in Ireland but not the last time, took the fun out of driving. Next time I'll take a 7 series or a 4x4!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
25MPG?
Really? My car must really need a tune up!
I can get 25mpg on a long motorway run at a steady speed, but anything that involves gear changes drops it's down to low 20's straight away

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I sit at 60mph and take it easy the OBC has shown 37!

Not how they are meant to be driven so have only seen it the once when trying !:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just push the con1 button then the reset to start afresh

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I got a pdf of the service manaual from ebay for $5..... I'll se about putting online later this week.

Its very low quality though

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im stuck at 12.5mpg. Maybe the meter is broken. I should add that to the list of ?'s. I do have a compression problem...one of the cylinders is a bit low. Changing all the gaskets next week. That should do it. I don't imagine Ill ever get up to 25 though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
if i set the cruise control at 65mph i can get over 25 mpg, but that never happens... if i wanted to drive slow i wouldve bought a prius.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts