BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, after waiting for a light, I made my way across the intersection in my beast. Some older guy in a Tundra thought I was doing something wrong and started yelling profanities at me. Not two hours before a high school girl in her dad's Suburban narrowly missed me when she went straight in the turning lane, then gave me the stink eye.. :eek:h:

I could go on but it seems that my beast brings out bad driving and bad attitudes in people. If I park in the empty part of the parking lot way away, I almost always come back to more than one car parked next to me. One time I did this and a Volvo parked so close I had get in through the other door.

Does anyone else have this problem? Am I just now noticing it because my beast is precious metal? I noticed it a few times in my 540 but not as bad... Help me remain calm.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya, I receive some of that as well. The parking lot antics are pretty much standard. Doesn't matter how far away from everyone else I park, I always come back to my car and need a can opener to get into it. My favorite is when driving at night, people think my HID headlights are my high beams. If I roll up behind them slowly in the left lane, they immediately slow down pull in behind me and flash their high beams. And my lights are all stock intensities.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya, I receive some of that as well. The parking lot antics are pretty much standard. Doesn't matter how far away from everyone else I park, I always come back to my car and need a can opener to get into it. My favorite is when driving at night, people think my HID headlights are my high beams. If I roll up behind them slowly in the left lane, they immediately slow down pull in behind me and flash their high beams. And my lights are all stock intensities.
Stock intensity but they may be aimed too high. I have 55w low beams and HID fogs and the only time I got people to flash me was when I was adjusting the low beams.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ditto on the parking bit. It's like they KNOW you want to avoid your pride and joy getting damaged by some careless knucklehead swinging his/her door open way too fast and wide...

Other than that my experience isn't a negative one, didn't notice any douchebag behaviour triggered by the beast so far. The only remarkable thing is almost anyone who you encounter during a trip, no matter in what car they drive, is trying to provoke you flooring it...

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
The only remarkable thing is almost anyone who you encounter during a trip, no matter in what car they drive, is trying to provoke you flooring it...
This is true but they can't really be blamed, especially if your car has any sort of exhaust modification. Yesterday, for instance, a guy in an E46 330i and a Honda Accord were trying to get me to play, so in a 1-mile section with concrete on both sides and no traffic, I went for it and put about 150 yards of distance and then let them catch up. Their grins were almost as big as mine while flooring it hiha

·
Registered
189 Posts
Stock intensity but they may be aimed too high. I have 55w low beams and HID fogs and the only time I got people to flash me was when I was adjusting the low beams.

Thanks for that, I'll have to check them out as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Example one: We went to Austin for July 4th and while there I took my wife, Cindy, to the Oasis to enjoy the view. Sure, it's a tourist trap, but still a nice view. Anyway, since Texas is monster SUV country, and I was in the capitol, I turned up my mirrors. When we returned to the car the driver side mirror had been FORCED down to the driving position. Switch didn't work and I thought it was ruined for good. Luckily it reset and works fine but that was my first experience with M-potence.

Example two: Running around town with Cindy and a BOSS Mustang with a crumpled fender and a miss and exhaust leak pulls along side and revs ahead then drops back, revs ahead then drops back, revs ahead then drops back. Now, Cindy grew up tinkering with Camaros, and has a Z28 in the garage. She looks over and rolls her eyes and smiles. I drop into second and GO! We get caught by the next light and I sit quietly waiting for the Mustang to challenge. He looks over and leaps into a right turn, barely managing a squeak in second as he runs off.

As far as the nuts go, I have whole fruitcakes around me. Nothing new. Driver training is going downhill fast all over the country. Has nothing to do with the M.

dj

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I usually dont get a second look from the front unless i have my lights on (I have bright predators). From the back is another matter.
I usually get e46 follow or even better i once had an older camaro pull alongside, rev and getting ready to go but pulled back only to see the exhaust and he shut the race down.. :biggrin: that was priceless.

I have people park close but i try to pick a wider parking space to park each time so im kind of used to it. I sometimes get evil looks or looks of disbelief when when taking curves on the highway at much higher speeds most cars would dare since most would either slow down or apply the brake at those speeds anyway. Once in a while i get an E92 M3 pull beside and want to race a 10 yr old car and engine:dunno:. The E92 is quick but in light traffic where you pick your spot, the E39 M5 is hard to beat with tons of torque at very low rpms..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in a town that has a technical college. Most of them can spot a M5 and don't try much. I did have a Ford Powerstroke give me grief for a few lights before I completely blew his doors off. Sadly, nothing really tries to race me. I did have a kid pull out of the UWYO dorms in a temp. tagged Mustang V6. He was obviously showing off for his female passenger and I tried to just let him go. When he persisted I showed him why he should of saved his money. The look on his face when we caught the next light was priceless. :byee55amg

Wyoming being like Texas (big trucks with nuts hanging from the rear bumper are a dime a dozen) I wonder if people see something rare like my M5 and get a little testy?

I did, however, have a nice surprise in Fort Collins the other day. I parked at Best Buy way out in the parking lot. I came out expecting some *** to have parked right next to me. Nope, a beautiful carbon black E46 M3 was two spaces over. It was a nice sight to see two carbon black M cars just hanging out :applause:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I often have idiots try to get in front of me even if it's just 1 car gained on occasion:dunno:

They are allmout there so nine times out of ten I ignore it. Then the odd time I will either firmly shut the door or just overtake back and keep teem behind me:M5launch:

As for the wannabes I welcome it, when they pull up and rev I always let them just pull ahead then blow them away. If it's a similar performance car I just do my best and hopefully getaway well enough.

Hey we don't buy an M5 to drive it slow all the time:goldcup:

Reactions: dragoncoach

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did, however, have a nice surprise in Fort Collins the other day. I parked at Best Buy way out in the parking lot. I came out expecting some *** to have parked right next to me. Nope, a beautiful carbon black E46 M3 was two spaces over. It was a nice sight to see two carbon black M cars just hanging out :applause:
At my gym, I see a TiAg 528 fairly often, usually parked in the "nice car area" away from the doors, so I generally park a space or two away from him. One particularly busy day, I parked one space down from him, and returned to the completely full lot to find a TiAg 540i parked between us. Sadly I didn't have my camera that day, almost the entire 5 series range for the E39 in the same color parked together.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In regards to the head lights being aimed too high, mine self level each time I turn them on, doesnt everyones?

I still get people flashing their lights at me though - the best is when I turn mine on and flash back.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
In regards to the head lights being aimed too high, mine self level each time I turn them on, doesnt everyones?

I still get people flashing their lights at me though - the best is when I turn mine on and flash back.
Yes,they level automatically,BUT have to be adjusted that they are at the correct height.

If people flash at you,get checked if they aim too high!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yeah mine were high, nearly had a scrap one night, dropped lights to knees and passed mot - so must have been high.
Had E46 2.0D trying it on on open road, he won award for smoke, I stayed in 6th and kept pulling away despite being uner peak torque revs against a diesel.. :M5thumbs:
I mean why would you try to beat an M5 in a 2.0 diesel?!

·
Registered
48 Posts
some people just do not care. went out this weekend to enjoy my b-day , had a ball all weekend (went out of town ATL) got home today ,went to wash the car only to find a nickel sized ding in my right front door where someone obviously hit with their door . it looks even worse when your car has no other dings. I guess the dent wizard will be getting a visit. sometimes it really feels like you just can't have anything nice. oh well such is life

1 - 17 of 17 Posts