BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a set of V-band headers from Ryan at RMS fabrications, trying to decide whether to attempt a DIY swap on the driveway with stands and jacks or have a garage fit them for me, time is not a problem and I am reasonably confident with spanners.
Anyone done the swap themselves? How was it, any tips?
Anyone in the UK had headers swapped at a garage? Who did you use and how much did they charge?
Once fitted I will be looking for opinions on tunes.
Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nice, guessing you've got the full headers - I'd imagine they'd be a bit of a pain to get the old ones off as its a bit cramped.

How much did they set you back (if you don't mind me asking). Guessing your running aftermarket cats to pass the MOT only and then take them off?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, check the link for pics of the kit, it allows you to swap between straight pipes or cats for MOT.Price for the kit is $1250, plus you have to pay $450 for a core set of headers but you can then sell your old ones to get a bit back, I think if you were in the states you could return your old set and Ryan would re-sell them to the next customer but from the UK that doesn't make sense as it costs $525 with FedEx to ship them here!
https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/parts-other-sale-wanted/329849-rms-decat-headers-brand-new-76.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are an OEM set of headers, cut and acid cleaned then welded to accept the cleaned OEM cats or straight pipes. You can pay extra to have them coated.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi, check the link for pics of the kit, it allows you to swap between straight pipes or cats for MOT.Price for the kit is $1250, plus you have to pay $450 for a core set of headers but you can then sell your old ones to get a bit back, I think if you were in the states you could return your old set and Ryan would re-sell them to the next customer but from the UK that doesn't make sense as it costs $525 with FedEx to ship them here!
https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/parts-other-sale-wanted/329849-rms-decat-headers-brand-new-76.html
If you retain the secondary cats, that should be enough to pass the MOT emissions?
Are you running these with the rest of the stock exhaust system?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some people say it will pass an M.O.T with the primary cats removed some say it won't so at least with the RMS headers I can easily replace the cats if needed. I am looking at prices for getting the headers fitted at the same time as getting the rod bearings done to get a better deal on the labour cost.
Yeah the rest of the system will be stock for now, I will see how it sounds with the decat pipes on, I don't want to be too obnoxious!
Next job will be a tune for decat and eliminate cold start procedure.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Some people say it will pass an M.O.T with the primary cats removed some say it won't so at least with the RMS headers I can easily replace the cats if needed. I am looking at prices for getting the headers fitted at the same time as getting the rod bearings done to get a better deal on the labour cost.
Yeah the rest of the system will be stock for now, I will see how it sounds with the decat pipes on, I don't want to be too obnoxious!
Next job will be a tune for decat and eliminate cold start procedure.
Good stuff, it's a good idea to swap them at the same time.
I'll be interested to hear what it sounds like!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I am about to have a garage install my RMS headers in the UK and am being quoted 5.75hrs labour at approx £72 per hour.

Thought that wasn't too bad at all!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just ordered a set of V-band headers from Ryan at RMS fabrications, trying to decide whether to attempt a DIY swap on the driveway with stands and jacks or have a garage fit them for me, time is not a problem and I am reasonably confident with spanners.
Anyone in the UK had headers swapped at a garage? Who did you use and how much did they charge?
Thanks.
Hell no.. lol.. Its a lot of work but that's just me. I'm getting mines installed today with the bearings. I waited a while to do this. Got me the FAMS tune but I have not installed cuz I just picked it up yesterday from the freakin post office. Would've had time to mess with it if they delivered it last Saturday but I wasn't home to sign for it. Oh well, was hoping to drive it down Va Beach 300 miles round trip this weekend. I wonder how loud it's going to be with my SS no resonated X-pipe and a pair of Magnaflows? Hmmmm... Might end up giving my family earplugs.. :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks.
I'm in the process of doing it right now in my garage on some Quick Jacks after putting it off for so long. Honestly, it's not terrible if you've worked in tight spaces before. Labor intensive yes, but nothing complicated. Just removing nuts and bolts and being patient in the process. I will say it helps to have another set of hands during the removal and installation of the headers themselves. Also make sure you have various extensions, and wobble sockets or u-joints for those hard to reach areas. Recommend removing the motor mount bracket to the engine block to clear out additional space during removal and install.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm in the process of doing it right now in my garage on some Quick Jacks after putting it off for so long. Honestly, it's not terrible if you've worked in tight spaces before. Labor intensive yes, but nothing complicated. Just removing nuts and bolts and being patient in the process. I will say it helps to have another set of hands during the removal and installation of the headers themselves. Also make sure you have various extensions, and wobble sockets or u-joints for those hard to reach areas. Recommend removing the motor mount bracket to the engine block to clear out additional space during removal and install.
Yeah it seems straight forward but I just dont have the time to do it.. not to mention an angry wife that gets pissed off when I work on any of my machines. I would drop the subframe for that job or maybe just loosen the rear part of it. Im also gonna invest on a quick jack later on to make bearings and such an easier job later on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah it seems straight forward but I just dont have the time to do it.. not to mention an angry wife that gets pissed off when I work on any of my machines. I would drop the subframe for that job or maybe just loosen the rear part of it. Im also gonna invest on a quick jack later on to make bearings and such an easier job later on.
It's certainly a time sink! That being said my wife lets me work in peace, otherwise I couldn't do any car related things at home. Things always seem to take 2x or 3x longer than I initially say it will. I've pretty much dropped the subframe entirely, it's hanging by the control arms more or less. Don't see how you could do it otherwise.

·
Registered
450 Posts
In the end I decided to have mine gutted and I'm glad I did. I hear and see bo difference with this and RMS ones my friend had. Can put the funds towards something else.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's certainly a time sink! That being said my wife lets me work in peace, otherwise I couldn't do any car related things at home. Things always seem to take 2x or 3x longer than I initially say it will. I've pretty much dropped the subframe entirely, it's hanging by the control arms more or less. Don't see how you could do it otherwise.
You're a lucky man.. I have to do my M5 work before or after hours when the mother and child are asleep - like Im at my job when I do migration in my network.. cuz people cant stand a downtime of 2 minutes or less cuz they might miss out on their facebook or instagram :p

·
Registered
151 Posts
You're a lucky man.. I have to do my M5 work before or after hours when the mother and child are asleep - like Im at my job when I do migration in my network.. cuz people cant stand a downtime of 2 minutes or less cuz they might miss out on their facebook or instagram :p
Well, here it is! Not drony, a little louder for sure with my setup. I think my family wont notice until I get on it especially around 5k. I do notice more push from down below with the decats. Havent popped a CEL yet after 130 miles. Cant really do much yet for 500 miles because of the new bearings. Getting it ready for the FAMS tune right now..

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts