BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So having spent the best part of 2 months umming and arring, I stumbled across a really good deal for brand new RMS decat headers, ceramic coated, shipped to the UK. so I bit the bullet! I'll be booking to get them installed next Friday on my SC VT2 M6. However, I need some advice from fellow decatted owners please.

Current Set Up:
  • Stock Primary
  • Stock Secondary
  • Stock Resonator
  • All stock pipes
  • Eisenmann Race Back Box (Sec 3).
I currently get some drone around 3k RPM but it's not bad. I drive my M6 for longer journeys (i.e. 2-3 hours each way at a time) to shows and usually my wife travels with me in it. Once I install RMS, will I get alot of extra Drone? If so, how do I eliminate those? I have been considering a complete custom catback valvetronic exhaust but not sure that's the right way to go.

I just want to have a set up where I can drive it without it bleeding my ears for the longer trips but also has the capability of offering an aggressive, high v10 note when I want it to. Removing secondary will result in excessive fuel smell which I don't like the idea of. I don't want it to be too raspy either so what do you guys recommend please? FWIW, remember its Supercharged.

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
If I had to do it all over again, I would've kept my stock secondary cats. Details of my setup are in my signature.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have Meisterschaft mufflers and rms decat. No drone even with the valves open on the meistershaft.. sounds perfect. The car still has stock resonator and stock secondary cats

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have Meisterschaft mufflers and rms decat. No drone even with the valves open on the meistershaft.. sounds perfect. The car still has stock resonator and stock secondary cats
The Meistershaft mufflers are valvetronic? Do you nabs any videos please?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine had the stock decatted headers, secondary cats and no mufflers when I bought it. Ended up installing stock mufflers back and it sounds very good for daily driving. Without the mufflers I had an annoying drone between 1k through 3k rpms. You already have a drone with the Eisenmanns so it is going to get worse. I would keep the secondary cats and maybe considers re installing stock mufflers if its too annoying after you drive it some.

The best thing about decatted headers is the performance gain so even with stock mufflers you will still have the benefit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm bout to get my RMS decats installed with my secondary cats, Supersprint non resonated X-pipe, pair of magnaflows. Hope I don't get the drone cuz the wife and daughter will surely complain on our Sunday drive to church.. lol

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm bout to get my RMS decats installed with my secondary cats, Supersprint non resonated X-pipe, pair of magnaflows. Hope I don't get the drone cuz the wife and daughter will surely complain on our Sunday drive to church.. lol
Keep me posted on how you get on. Be interested to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Look at it this way...they will be quite awake when they get to church. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Keep me posted on how you get on. Be interested to hear your thoughts.

For sure.. actually might post a video of it once it's all done. I waited a long time to get this one done because the subframe is getting dropped for bearings finally early next week! Very excited indeed. Currently have custom section 3 piping with 2.5 inch welded mandrel bends and a pair of magnaflow 14816's with staggered tips. Currently no drone and don't sound bad. A little bit loud for the women but tolerable. Maybe swap them out for Dinans later on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here’s my setup...I have a tig welder at home and hated how the stock h pipe looked so I welded a x pipe. Its 2.5” all the way. I am considering getting some dinans or something along that line in the near future. Just something to add more volume without the drone. I like my exhausts loud but hate drone. My stock mufflers work well for now, no drone on the inside and decently loud on the outside

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here’s my setup...I have a tig welder at home and hated how the stock h pipe looked so I welded a x pipe. Its 2.5” all the way. I am considering getting some dinans or something along that line in the near future. Just something to add more volume without the drone. I like my exhausts loud but hate drone. My stock mufflers work well for now, no drone on the inside and decently loud on the outside

Looks good. So that has the secondary cats and what is the rest of it? Is that a resonated X pipe and silencers after that?

·
Registered
59 Posts
So that is the mid section with the secondary cats. At the ends I clamp the OE mufflers when installed in the car. I don’t have any resonators. X pipe is not resonated either.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks good. So that has the secondary cats and what is the rest of it? Is that a resonated X pipe and silencers after that?
Oh and the braided sections at the ends are just flex pipe to make it easy to mate them wtih the mufflers.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
drone is usually caused by the rear cans...and you have one of the loudest with the Eisenman Race. Trade them in for Corsa and the drone caused by the cans will be zero...also sounds better IMO

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
drone is usually caused by the rear cans...and you have one of the loudest with the Eisenman Race. Trade them in for Corsa and the drone caused by the cans will be zero...also sounds better IMO
Ok thank you. Do you have a like for Corsa pls?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Huge fan of Corsa and never heard them on a M5...would you have a sound clip available?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
edit: there is a nice video on the link I provided too in post below

I haven't uploaded or recorded one...but there are a couple on youtube. The vids don't really give it justice but it gives you an idea. Sounds relatively stock at idle (slightly louder....cold start - is still loud lol) and above 4k it will scream F1 style. No drone at all

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts