BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening everyone,

I'm in the middle of teardown to replace my rear main seal, rear coolant cover gasket, and clutch. Finally received the last of my parts just now and turns out that the paper gasket that comes with the RMS carrier kit is torn in half. Those of you that have done this job before: do you think that I could get away with installing it as-is with a little bit of gasket sealer, or should I wait until Monday when FCP customer service opens up to order a replacement?

The part number for this gasket is 11141736521. Part number 8 in this diagram:

Thanks for any insight that's out there!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wait until Monday and contact FCP. It's a bear of a job and you don't want to half *** it with a broken gasket only to have it leak again not long after. Yeah you'll have to wait a few extra days, but this is one of things you want to get right.

Sent from Uranus with Love.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I reckon that's the right call. I'm also going to call around this morning to see if anyone has the gasket in stock, since it's only a $2 part. That would get the job moving again.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I would have the gasket replaced. This is the kind of job where I dont mess around and get it done right.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I would just use RTV as well. If you're not confident though, get a new gasket.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New gasket is being overnighted from FCP. Excellent customer service, as always.

Now, to figure out what's leaking coolant into the valley of my engine, then out the rear drain holes...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
That "boomerang" cover above the RMS holds coolant and has a gasket.

Usually coolant in valley is from torn thermostat o-rings, or the o-rings on the bottom of the heat exchanger.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The boomerang cover wasn't leaking, but I went ahead and replaced its gasket anyway. The old gasket was completely fused to the block and came off in tiny pieces....that sucked.

I probably pinched one of the thermostat seals. Looking forward to removing the plenum to confirm, though. Autozone's pressure tester has been indispensable so far.

Once this RMS carrier gasket comes in I'll finally be able to button it all back up!

·
Registered
240 Posts
What's behind the 2 covers on the back of the cylinder head? Is there a gasket that can be replaced there?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's behind the 2 covers on the back of the cylinder head? Is there a gasket that can be replaced there?
RealOEM shows an o-ring associated with those covers, however I've never heard of it needing replaced. Not sure what's behind it, though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Curious if anyone knows what's behind there. My guess is that this is an access to the cooling passage. What else could it be? However, I think that you can get to that from the top and don't need to drop the transmission, so no need to add it to the "while in there" list.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's a cooling passage. I had to change this gasket when I was replacing the CPS. The bracket that holds the coolant/fuel lines on the drivers side bolts into the cover. The bolt broke inside and I had to take the cover off to get it out. Getting the new o-ring to conform to the groove shape in the cover was a pita. If you don't have a lift, and don't drain coolant, you'll be getting an nice coolant shower once the cover comes off.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Based on what booster said and given the access to this plate with the transmission removed, I am thinking perhaps it is worth replacing this o ring at this time instead of doing it from the top when it eventually leaks. Our cars are getting to be 17-20 years old afterall.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I did mine when I was doing clutch/flywheel/RMS and only because I had to.
I don't think anyone ever changes this as part of preventative maintenance, or while you are at it. I did a lot of searching, and couldn't find anyone ever touching it.
I wouldn't recommend touching it, unless you have to. There is so very little space between the firewall and the head, that if you snap one of the bolts holding the cover in place, you'll be in a lot more trouble.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts