BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading through different "Tune" threads and haven't found these two compared. I'm curious if anyone has any insight or experience with both of these tunes and how they compare. I would be going with Alpha-N on either. The RK tune is significantly less but I wanted to know if it's worth putting down the extra cash towards the Evolve tune. My car is stock (muffler delete, so still stock). Sorry in advance to light off another Tune thread.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't have any experience with the other tunes but I just got an RK tune and have been very pleased with the results so far!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
They're all the same, customer support, geographic location, and ease of install is really the only difference you'll notice.

As far as power output, if one makes more than the other, i would be surprised.

-R

·
Registered
421 Posts
given how little power I made over a stock BMW with their Stage 3 tune on my car
Did you have the evolve tune on your car before or after your additional mods? Only asking as I have their stage 3 on my car with CAI, headers, race cats and ITAS relocation and my car pulls noticeably harder. Granted, I have yet to get it on a dyno to verify numbers so who knows :dunno:

Are you saying your current tune is appreciably better with your mods than the evolve tune was?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
something does not add up in your claim, and second have anyone here had an evolve tuned car blow up, I have been running their tune for years and have not had one single issue, oh and wait were they not the tuner who got the e39 to run on alpha n just my two cents

Yeah, my car was tuned with all my current mods both with the Evolve Stage 3 and Jailbreak. The jailbreak tune gave me +25 hp and +18 TQ over Evolve, same day, same dyno.

They also had the knock sensors turned down by ~50% from stock at WOT. The Jailbreak tune set that back to stock value so the power is arguably safer, too.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
something does not add up in your claim, and second have anyone here had an evolve tuned car blow up, I have been running their tune for years and have not had one single issue, oh and wait were they not the tuner who got the e39 to run on alpha n just my two cents
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/208716-dyno-thread-5.html#post5538634

^ my car. Same day, same dyno. Evolve was run 1. Stock was run 7 (second graph). I can only tell you my experience, and yes, in my tune, the knock sensors were turned down 50% at WOT.

They were technically second to get AlphaN working, Powerchip had a version before Evolve. But it wasn't as refined as Evolve's, no question there at all.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Out of curiosity, does anybody know the peak ignition timing values at WOT for the range of say...4000rpm to redline? Does anybody have a datalogger of choice that is fairly inexpensive?

The previous owner of my car had an Alpha N tune carried out and he said that the AIT sensor was causing the motor to pull timing, so they relocated it to the wheel well and it picked up power up top again. How much power, I don't know sadly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm bumping this old thread instead of starting a new one after I did a search -

I am adding some mods to my E39 that I will need a new tune. I've heard enough good things about Jordan to give his tune a shot.

I bought it, plugged the Blue OBD plug in, ran their software, and am getting errors every time I try to read the computer.

My question: Do I need a stock file reflashed onto the ECU before I can download the file and send it to Jordan?

EDIT: Got my answer - hopefully this will help someone in the future. I suppose I should have known that Evolve would protect their tunes so nobody else can read them - makes sense! Email evolve, they will send you a stock tune file for you to upload to your ECU.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Actually, it doesn't make any sense that they did that, there's not really any dark magic left in tuning an S62 at this point...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Actually, it doesn't make any sense that they did that, there's not really any dark magic left in tuning an S62 at this point...
Eh - if I created a product that was unique and was marketable, I would protect it too. At the time it was created by them, it was probably worth protecting. Now? Maybe not.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Not even then. And even Dinan didn't encrypt their tunes, there's literally no reason to do it (unless Evolve didn't want everyone to see how hard they were riding the knock sensors... and they absolutely did that)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not even then. And even Dinan didn't encrypt their tunes, there's literally no reason to do it (unless Evolve didn't want everyone to see how hard they were riding the knock sensors... and they absolutely did that)
Fair enough - I know absolutely nothing about tuning so I won't enter that arena.

I've had my Evolve tune since 2013 and I've put 35k miles, including 5-6k track miles on it and its been flawless.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Over the years, I've had the following tunes:

Dinan - Stage 2, on the car when I bought it in 2006. Wasn't an S2 at this point
Powerchip - Meh, and the first attempt at AlphaN was garbage. I have a dyno chart somewhere. Closer to an S2, had SS headers and Dinan CAI / exhaust. Missing Dinan headers / throttle bodies / MAF housings
Evolve - Stage 3 - more on this in a sec - Full S2
Jailbreak / HD Tuning - Same owner / operator, @PedM5 here (Matt Pedram Bekam) - Full S2

All of the following were performed on the same dyno, by the same operator - exception being the TF_2014 graph in the first dyno chart, but that was the Evolve Stage 3 tune. All of these pulls were AlphaN.

I also have somewhere around 4200-4500 track miles on my S2, all of them with the Jailbreak tune.

This is on my Dinan S2. Run 1 - Evolve Stage 3 tune, ~160K miles or so.
Same day, same dyno. Run 15 - Jailbreak final tune for the day

Before the above graph, we discovered the Evolve tune was encrypted. So we went back to stock, and did a pull for fun. As you can see, the bone stock BMW tune made more HP & TQ than the Evolve Stage 3 tune. That's... not good.

Same S2, almost exactly four years later. Another ~50K on the engine (~208K), all hardware the same otherwise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts