BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, big thanks to Sayanthan for working with me to get them to Bangkok. He was great to communicate with and always responded quickly :)

So here are some photos of them all safe and sound at my apartment.

1 question, on one head the valves are slightly protruding from the head and all the camshafts are not able to be turned. I guess this is due to movement during transport and the lack of oil means the camshafts won't rotate, or are they locked in place?

Help a noob out please!

Not sure it matters since the schrick cams need to be installed anyway...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
argh! a dent made during transit...

recommendations? resurface?
Damn that stinks. I've had some recent postal service troubles myself, but thank god they weren't for major parts like yours.

That doesn't look like a horrible situation. Can you feel a bump when running your finger along the sealing surface?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Careful work with a file and scraper and that dent will disappear never be a problem. Not worth surfacing the whole head. What all was done to the heads? Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey gzig5,

Ahh, nice to hear it doesn't look like it needs a full resurface :)

Heads have the following:

Multi-angle Intake
Radius Exhaust Valve Job
Unshrouding of Valves
Port and Polishing
Oversized ports + 1mm oversized Manley valves

Full details on the original advert: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/pa...-big-valve-heads-sale-brand-new-unfitted.html

Already on the car are evolve carbon fibre intakes with IAT, russ fellows 4-2-1 manifolds, hi flow cats, h pipe midsection.

·
Registered
680 Posts
ALWAYS nice to see another member dedicated to his S62 and keep it properly N/A.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ALWAYS nice to see another member dedicated to his S62 and keep it properly N/A.
I definitely agree with this. I cant wait to see some before and after dynos with these heads and cams.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, finally got all the gaskets together (and had a month out for the honeymoon :) ), so the car is going in this Friday for the install.

Noob question: The valves are 1mm oversized, do the valve cutouts in the piston need enlarging to match??

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
You'll always have a valve open when the cams are installed, that's normal. If you remove the cams you'll see the valve closes. To spin the cams it takes a good amount of force. You'll have to put a open ended wrench on the cams, there's a hex piece that the wrench is applied to.

Put a straight edge on the indention, see if the area around is not warped. If it's not warped, i would file it down to where the straight edge does not conflict with anything. A resurface would only be necessary if it were heavily warped.

Thanks
-R

·
Banned
3,793 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Well, finally got all the gaskets together (and had a month out for the honeymoon :) ), so the car is going in this Friday for the install.

Noob question: The valves are 1mm oversized, do the valve cutouts in the piston need enlarging to match??
The shop should check this. Common technique is to press some clay or plasticine into the cutout, install a head with an old gasket, rotate the cam slowly, remove the head and check the clearance between the valve and piston top and the valve OD and cutout ID.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
The shop should check this. Common technique is to press some clay or plasticine into the cutout, install a head with an old gasket, rotate the cam slowly, remove the head and check the clearance between the valve and piston top and the valve OD and cutout ID.
Query, however, how do to this on an interference engine with vanos, such as the S62. Doesn't one need to advance and retard the vanos through its full range at TDC?

--Peter

PS: Here is the answer I got on SpeedTalk, which strikes me as correct:

The direct approach, minus all the niggling details, is to find a way to lock the cams in their full advance and then full retard position with max valve lift and rotate two revolutions in each mode. The resulting clay thickness will represent 'worst case' clearance. Another approach if you know or can measure the static cam indexing would be to clay it that way, then use a dial indicator and degree wheel to determine how much more lift occurs at the maximum possible shift from the static/cranking index for each and subtract same from the static clearance

·
Registered
186 Posts
In some cases the interference can occur just before or after tdc. I would fully retard the timing and spin the engine and check then re test with full advance to be sure unless I was advised by someone with a load of experience of the particular setup that it would be safe.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
im sure rk did there homework and the board goes over board !!!

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
im sure rk did there homework and the board goes over board !!!
This is an engine being put together in different phases. Always good to check clearances, even when everything is being machined all at once.

I am intimately familiar with a recent supercharged S62 project (not mine!) where the entire engine was machined, standard sleeves and other upgraded parts used, and the quench ended up being substantially less than .030, requiring that new pistons be ordered or custom gaskets made. Exactly how this happened is unclear. Maybe the shop decked the block or the heads just a little too much. Who knows. But if this motor had just been bolted together, yykes! Moral: Check the clearances.

All that said, I suspect all is well here.

--Peter

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
In some cases the interference can occur just before or after tdc. I would fully retard the timing and spin the engine and check then re test with full advance to be sure unless I was advised by someone with a load of experience of the particular setup that it would be safe.
I tend to agree, BUT: Given that the S62 is an "interference engine," won't your testing procedure cause interference 100% of the time?

OP: Sorry for the thread jack, but this IS relevant to what you asked.

--Peter

1 - 20 of 40 Posts