BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
12-09-04
I awoke this morning with several phone messages telling me of the devastating news that Rock Legend Guitarist Dimebag Darrell (along with 4 others) had been brutally murdered last night, by a gunman, while playing on-stage in Ohio. What a terrible loss to the Rock community, and to me. I have lost a friend.

My first encounters with Dimebag (real name Darrell Abbot) date back to the early 1980's when him and his brother (Vinnie Paul) were playing a local club on Lancaster St. in Fort Worth Texas. Their band (Pantera) played cover songs (mostly Mettalica's first album "Kill 'em All"). Anybody could tell this band had talent! In the early '90's they cut a few albums and hit it big. They forged forward to become one of the biggest "Thrash" metal bands in the world. I saw them many times throughout the years before I came to know Dimebag on a more personal level.

I had just bought a new business in Arlington Texas (Car Stereo Shop) when one day Dimebag walked into the store and went to the "sound room" and started talking with my co-owner. I immediately walked in and shook his hand and introduced myself as the store owner and an avid fan of his music. Dimebag was very "low-key" and polite. He shook my hand and we talked car stereo for his wife/girlfriends 2-seater BMW. I noticed his soft spokeness, his demur mannerisms, and, well, his tattoo's. That was the beginning of a nice friendship where Dimebag would call me or come by the shop and just talk. He was gracious in allowing me take pictures and giving me gifts consisting of all Pantera's CD's, shirts, hats, and Pantera Posters, personally signing all the items. He would show-up to have some work done to one of his vehicles and tell me "check-out the trunk Rob" and it would be like Christmas! Darrell gave me his personal cell phone number so I could get in touch with him at anytime.

For some reason he liked me and felt comfortable talking to me about various topics ranging from his new projects, the breakup of Pantera, to his mothers passing and the impact it had on his life. He would come to the shop and "hang-out" in the back (shop area) and we would talk about the "old" days when he was playing the "dives", and the lake parties. I was always eager to engage in conversation with him regarding his opinion of other rock legends he spent time with and toured with. We discussed artist I knew of and he had experience with such as Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath), Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains) & Lemmy (Motorhead). Darrell was quite opinionated and He and I enjoyed "batting" around idea's and topics. Because of his experiences and associations this was a real treat for me.

Dimebag seemed to be a little amazed that I (being 40yrs old & a business owner) had such a "rock-n-roll" attitude. Combined with the fact that I had been "clean and sober" for 10yrs semed to be of particular interest to him. I could tell he was concerned with his own mortality, and often seemed vulnerable. We had some very interesting conversations...

I am still absorbing this tragic loss. Memories of the morning I learned of John Lennon's death surround me. Dimebag was a phenom. A shooting star that you had to be looking at in order to actually see during the brief moment it passed by. Super bright, but burning quickly. Bringing a smile and a moment of awe to all who witnessed. Hendrix, Morrison, Bonham, Moon, Joplin, Lennon. Abbot's name is now among some of the greatest losses in Rock history.
We all lose an invaluable talent. The Rock community will miss Dimebag Darrel. I will miss Darrel Abbot...the person.

RIP Mr. Darrell Abbot (Dimebag Darrell)

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
That is a terrible tragedy, RIP Mr Abbot

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts