BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. Around new years (26th Dec -> 2nd Jan) I'm going to be traveling across Europe with some friends and, as I'll be passing by the Nurburgring, I'd really like to try and get a ride in the ring taxi. I've got a couple of questions hopefully someone will know the answer to:

a) Does the taxi run at this time of year? (it will probably have to be either 27th December or 2nd January)
b) Am I too late to book now? (I've heard demand is really high)

Also any contact details (email etc) would be helpful, because I can't seem to find anything. I don't speak German btw.

One more question - Can you take a minibus on the ring? I'm going to try and set a new minibus lap record (which will be however long it takes me to get around with 10 other people on board probably)

Cheers! :biggrin:

·
Registered
30 Posts
My instructor for M School had just returned from there about 3 or 4 weeks ago. At that time he said the taxi was booked for over a year in advance.

Maybe they'll make an exception for you since you're gonna race the bus.

Good luck!

Rayman
2003 M5

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am interested too, do they have email contact and someone who speaks english? Or will I have tto translate the email before I send it?

Thanks

Rayman said:
My instructor for M School had just returned from there about 3 or 4 weeks ago. At that time he said the taxi was booked for over a year in advance.

Maybe they'll make an exception for you since you're gonna race the bus.

Good luck!

Rayman
2003 M5

·
Registered
88 Posts
extract on ring taxi hope this helps

The Ring Taxis (there are two) are V8 BMW M5s with modified suspension and brakes, one of them driven by Sabine Schmitz (formerly Sabine Reck). Both come highly recommended, but Sabine is said to be faster. A lap costs €120/£80, but can take three passengers so it's pretty good value split three ways. In fact, it's excellent value as it is reputed that it costs BMW €480 per lap. (Following an accident years ago in which either a wheel or suspension component failed, BMW changes the tyres every 10 laps, the brake-pads every 20 laps and the suspension every 50 laps. The cars are replaced annually.)

The Taxis get fully booked around a year in advance, but they do sometimes get cancellations. To book, call +49-2691-302178. If you can't get a booking, it's always worth asking at the office on the day, and also watching out for people who have hired it but are not using all three passenger seats: more than one person has got a lap by asking the people who've hired it if they can pay for a place in the empty seat.

You're particularly likely to get a cancellation in the wet, when some people just cancel their trips, and this is well worth doing.

You can also buy a passenger lap in the Zakspeed Viper, though this is much more expensive.

Best regards :wroom:

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
luke1 said:
a) Does the taxi run at this time of year? (it will probably have to be either 27th December or 2nd January)
Track is closed at that time of year. It's currently covered in snow and has been provisionally closed for the season since last week.

b) Am I too late to book now? (I've heard demand is really high)
The Ringtaxi is booked up to a year in advance. If you're lucky you can sometimes get a slot closer to the date if someone else backs out. Alternatively a few boardmembers including myself and Johann drive and/or race on the Nordschleife on a very regular basis, so posting here in advance you may be able to arrange a few passenger laps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm a bit disappointed the track is going to be closed just because of a little snow.

I'll have to try and get back there in the spring/summer time.

Cheers
:cheers:

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
jim mc d said:
The Ring Taxis (there are two) are V8 BMW M5s with modified suspension and brakes...
I thought I read that the suspension and brakes were standard issue? What mods are they running with?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts