BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a 19x9 offset 45 fit in the front of my car (possible 245 tire)?
I also have wheel spacer to give me some space.
Right now i'm driving 19x8.5 offset 35 whith 30mm wheel spacer on each side.
My rear is 19x9.5 offset 20 with 5mm spacers which would stick out to much (already tried it).
Does anyone has this kind of setup??
Thanks a lot in advance :15:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ive seen people do crazy stuff just to run some wheels that they got cheap or are off another Bimmer that the deal is really good. 30mm spacers? What the Hay? Why dont u just run 19x8.5 and 9.5 stagger with correct recommended offsets? Going from 8.5 to 9 in front, seriously it will look exactly the same esp since running same width tire.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
bigmanm5 said:
What would be the right offset to fillout the fenders in the front with a 19" rim.....?
The diameter of the rim does not matter, for tire rub/fitment. Why don't you search the forum for topics on wheel fitment issues? The proper front offset is around 18-20mm. Less will encourage rubbing on the fender lip..and the ride height, spring rates and damper stiffness all come into play.

Are these wheels spinners? hmmm :happybirt

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
bigmanm5 said:
What would be the right offset to fillout the fenders in the front with a 19" rim.....?
The 19" rim is not relevant -- it's the rim width combined with intended tire section width and rim offset that matters. The first thing you have to do is get the backspacing correct such that there is not strut contact by the wheel/tire. Many here, myself included, run the rear 9.5" rims on the front with the 275/35 tire. This setup requires a 3mm spacer to get the proper clearance.

The stock 9.5" rim has a 22mm offset. Here is how you figure backspacing in inches. First convert the offset to inches: 22/25.4 = 0.866". Now take 1/2 the rim width, in this case 4.75", and add to that the offset: 4.75" + 0.866" = 5.616". This is the "backspacing" of this wheel (how much the wheel protrudes behind the mounting surface plane). In order to ensure that the 275/35 tire clears the strut, a 3mm spacer is required. 3/25.4 = 0.118". So the maximum backspacing that you can run on a front wheel with a 275 tire is 5.616 - 0.118 = 5.498".

If you are running a 275 or smaller tire, and you stick to a setup that gives you a max backspacing of 5.5", you should have sufficient strut clearance.

Now a 9" rim with a 45mm offset: 45/25.4 = 1.77". Backspacing = 4.5" + 1.77" = 6.27". You need 5.5" max backspacing, so a spacer of size (6.27 - 5.5) = 0.77" would be required. 0.77 * 25.4 = 19.56mm. You would need a 20mm spacer with this wheel to duplicate the 9.5"/22mm offset/3mm spacer setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW !!!!

I really appreciate your help.
Well.. i only drive my car...so ..i don't know exactly what are you talking about.
My rear is a 19x9.5 offset 22mm with a 5mm spacer and a 275 tire. So this must be in the specs (am a right?).
My concern is the front. I would love to have the right rim size .
The rim of my choice is only available in 8.5 offset 35 or 9.0 offset 45 or 9.5 offset 20 (what would propably to much i guess).
I'm planning to install a 245 tire.
I'm considering to buy the 9.0 offset 45 with a 10mm spacer. This should clear the stuts and shouldn't rub at all.
Maybe you can give me your advice via your formula.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gorilla Beast said:
Ive seen people do crazy stuff just to run some wheels that they got cheap or are off another Bimmer that the deal is really good. 30mm spacers? What the Hay? Why dont u just run 19x8.5 and 9.5 stagger with correct recommended offsets? Going from 8.5 to 9 in front, seriously it will look exactly the same esp since running same width tire.
between 8.5 and 9 is a big different.
The lip is 0.5 " wider and this makes a HUGE different.
My rear lip is 5" wide

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
bigmanm5 said:
WOW !!!!

I really appreciate your help.
Well.. i only drive my car...so ..i don't know exactly what are you talking about.
My rear is a 19x9.5 offset 22mm with a 5mm spacer and a 275 tire. So this must be in the specs (am a right?).
My concern is the front. I would love to have the right rim size .
The rim of my choice is only available in 8.5 offset 35 or 9.0 offset 45 or 9.5 offset 20 (what would propably to much i guess).
I'm planning to install a 245 tire.
I'm considering to buy the 9.0 offset 45 with a 10mm spacer. This should clear the stuts and shouldn't rub at all.
Maybe you can give me your advice via your formula.
Thanks in advance
Your current rear setup should not need a 5mm spacer as it has the same width and offset as the standard rim along with the same section width tire. I would think it would fit fine w/o the spacer (assuming the wheel is designed for the E39 in the first place...i.e. has the correct center bore dimensions) Also, a 5mm spacer cannot be hub-centric. Either use a 3mm spacer or a 10mm or larger spacer. The 3mm is thin enough such that the center bore of the wheel can still engage the hub. The 10mm spacers are large enough such that they engage the hub and then provide a hub of their own to engage the center bore of the wheel.

9.0" with 45mm offset -- I showed those calculations in my last post. You will need a 20mm spacer (make sure it is hub-centric) to make it work. A 10mm spacer would not allow even the wheel to clear the strut. You can run up to a 275 section width tire w/o clearence issues with this setup (assuming the tire's overall diameter is close to the stock size -- i.e. 245/40-18, 275/35-18 size diameters).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CSBM5 said:
Your current rear setup should not need a 5mm spacer as it has the same width and offset as the standard rim along with the same section width tire. I would think it would fit fine w/o the spacer (assuming the wheel is designed for the E39 in the first place...i.e. has the correct center bore dimensions) Also, a 5mm spacer cannot be hub-centric. Either use a 3mm spacer or a 10mm or larger spacer. The 3mm is thin enough such that the center bore of the wheel can still engage the hub. The 10mm spacers are large enough such that they engage the hub and then provide a hub of their own to engage the center bore of the wheel.

9.0" with 45mm offset -- I showed those calculations in my last post. You will need a 20mm spacer (make sure it is hub-centric) to make it work. A 10mm spacer would not allow even the wheel to clear the strut. You can run up to a 275 section width tire w/o clearence issues with this setup (assuming the tire's overall diameter is close to the stock size -- i.e. 245/40-18, 275/35-18 size diameters).
Hey, thanks a lot.
I will go with to 19x9 45 with a 20mm spacer and 245 tires.
I will post some pics if it's done.
Again, i really apreciate your help. If i go to my locale wheel and tire dealers
i mostly get to hear that they don't know what my car fits.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
bigmanm5 said:
between 8.5 and 9 is a big different.
The lip is 0.5 " wider and this makes a HUGE different.
My rear lip is 5" wide
All wheel lips are approx 0.450" wide. A wider wheel does not have a wider lip. I'm not sure what 5" measurement your talking about. The backspacing of your wheel is well over 5".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lscman said:
All wheel lips are approx 0.450" wide. A wider wheel does not have a wider lip. I'm not sure what 5" measurement your talking about. The backspacing of your wheel is well over 5".
Are you nuts.
I don't talk about a BMW rims.
These Rims are the PIAA Super Rozza and they DO have a 5" deep lip (19x9.5).
The 19x8.5 has a 4" now guess what a 19x9 has.
Click on the link under my picture (view my car).
Than you know what i'm talking about. I'm only going to replace my front wheels

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
bigmanm5 said:
Are you nuts. I don't talk about a BMW rims.
Bigman,

I am not nuts, I know about wheels. Most original equipment and aftermarket wheels on cars built for the last 60 years (since 1945) conform to the "JJ flange standard", which specifies a 0.450" wide inner and outer wheel lip of a certain radius and total height. This lip or flange is what holds the tire bead on the wheel when you put air in it. It's also what gets gouged when you rub a curb. It's what the the tire installer "fights" to stretch the tire bead over, when he's installing the tire on the wheel.

The added thickness of the wheel lips is why an 8.5" wide rim measures 8.5" + 0.450" + 0.450" = 9.400" total width. Every wheel has two flanges or lips, one inner and one outer.

This 5" measure you're referring to is not the wheel lip. This is why it's difficult to help you. I think you're referring to some other measurement like backspacing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lscman said:
Bigman,

I am not nuts, I know about wheels. Most original equipment and aftermarket wheels on cars built for the last 60 years (since 1945) conform to the "JJ flange standard", which specifies a 0.450" wide inner and outer wheel lip of a certain radius and total height. This lip or flange is what holds the tire bead on the wheel when you put air in it. It's also what gets gouged when you rub a curb. It's what the the tire installer "fights" to stretch the tire bead over, when he's installing the tire on the wheel.

The added thickness of the wheel lips is why an 8.5" wide rim measures 8.5" + 0.450" + 0.450" = 9.400" total width. Every wheel has two flanges or lips, one inner and one outer.

This 5" measure you're referring to is not the wheel lip. This is why it's difficult to help you. I think you're referring to some other measurement like backspacing.
I know now the correct term.
I'm talking about the 5" deep dish.
Not the lip.
Was my fault. (of course you are not nuts..was a joke) :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts