BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this product often referred to by veterans of this Board. So, I picked up the black 8000 model for $36 (for 2). The model number is related to the load rating (2k lbs per ramp). FYI, there is a silver, higher load model.

Pros:
Extremely light (strangely so), safe blunt edges, convenient hand holds, grippy against ground surface, easy to clean. Made in the USA by a company called Blitz. Unlike other ramps I've used, these treat the surface rested upon much kinder.

Short enough to place in the trunk pointed length-wise towards the engine. Tall enough to work under the car while lying on a ground/mat, but not tall enough to use any cushy rolling conveniences. Wide enough for stock front/rear tires.

As is well documented on the Board, my car (with stock suspension) would be unable to mount the front w/o contacting undercarriage. I've enclosed visuals of the simple workaround other's have recommended: drive onto a board (1.5 inch tall is pictured) then onto the ramp to avoid any contact on the way up or down.

I've contemplated other one-trick tools like Mityvac evacuators and Porter-Cable orbitals, but Rhinos will pay dividends in both maintenance and inspection. I was under there with a flashlight just looking around for curiosity's sake.

From deciding you want to put the front- or back-end up in the air an additional 7 inches, to having it be so, takes about a minute.

Cons:
1) Ramping process only expends about as much energy as fetching the paper at the end of the driveway. 2) Super picky folk won't like the residual oil left behind when draining an inclined pan (though you could compensate by working on a slope -- but that comes with scary mental images).

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I was looking into these and they look like they work pretty well. Where did you buy yours?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
In my quest to do everything in extreme excess, I recently bought a set of four ESCO jackstands from Steve D. @ The Ultimate Garage.

Yes, they are excessive. Yes, I like the sense of confidence that gives me. No, I will never have to buy another set of jackstands due to these ones becoming unsafe. At 23 years old, I feel like it was a worthwhile investment...

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?products_id=1849

Not entirely relevant to Rhino Ramps, but it's on the subject of lifting and supporting a vehicle. Between jacking and supporting the car on these jackstands I almost don't see any need for Rhino Ramps -- these are so convenient to use with their large rubber top pads.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In my quest to do everything in extreme excess, I recently bought a set of four ESCO jackstands from Steve D. @ The Ultimate Garage.
:) Hell yeah, isn't that the only way?

I agree with the flat-top stands, I actually have a set of the AC Hydraulic flat top stands that these are similar too. I love 'em. I haven't found a better way to get the M5 up in the air.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I have an approach that works for me. Drive two wheels up on the curb ... right side or left side. (I live at the end of a cul-de-sac.) Scoot (it is a little difficult), but I am not a heavy weight around the waist (beer belly, yes), under the car and sleep ... I mean get to work. Well, you get my point. I have a hydraulic floor jack and proper jack stands as well.

I have another technique for draining oil, but the curb allows me to change fuel filters, etc. on my other BMWs (and will on my M5, when I do change it).

In the face of adversity, a little creativity helps.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
jclyman -

I do that trick with my beater van, and have done it with the M5 on several occasions.. both to just check things out, and once I did it to get to the access panel underneath the engine (I'd dropped a screwdriver down there..)

chowdah -

those ramps look like a good buy, I'll have to check my Ace and see if I can find some. Thanks for the write-up and pics.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

Yes, they are excessive. Yes, I like the sense of confidence that gives me. No, I will never have to buy another set of jackstands due to these ones becoming unsafe. At 23 years old, I feel like it was a worthwhile investment...

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/part.php?products_id=1849

Not entirely relevant to Rhino Ramps, but it's on the subject of lifting and supporting a vehicle. Between jacking and supporting the car on these jackstands I almost don't see any need for Rhino Ramps -- these are so convenient to use with their large rubber top pads.
While I understand your point in having those particular jackstands, that is completely different than just driving your can onto ramps. See, in order to use your jackstands you first need to jack up the car, then find a spot to put your stands since you have already used the body lifting area for the jack, then after that you still have to do the other side! Why not just drive up a ramp and be done:dunno:. Lets not forget the ramps are a much cheaper alternative, until you need to remove your wheels...

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
While I understand your point in having those particular jackstands, that is completely different than just driving your can onto ramps. See, in order to use your jackstands you first need to jack up the car, then find a spot to put your stands since you have already used the body lifting area for the jack, then after that you still have to do the other side! Why not just drive up a ramp and be done:dunno:. Lets not forget the ramps are a much cheaper alternative, until you need to remove your wheels...
With a floor jack it ain't that tough ... every home garage ought to have one. Much easier to use than a sizzors type jack. And, they aren't terribly expensive. And, if you don't have any money left over for stands, use blocks of 2x4s, 2x6s, or 2x10s under a wheel.

But, it comes down to personal preference. Personally, I wouldn't spend a dime on ranps ... I used to have a set of ramps I made out of wood about 50 years ago (but, it did take a little care getting up on them).

(Ben is NO dummy, by the way!)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I've been considering these for a while now. Thanks for the write-up.

I'm currently using the floor jack, jack stand method. It works, but does take a little longer than I would like.

I jack the car up from the center lift point under the engine and place the jack stands under the jacking points on either side. Works pretty well. I do have to drive up on some blocks to initially get the jack under the center point. Alternatively, I've jacked up one side at the rear jacking point and placed the jack stand under the front point, then moved the jack to the center point to get the whole car up. Kinda waltzy, but it gets the job done.

Reactions: jclyman

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
With a floor jack it ain't that tough ... every home garage ought to have one. Much easier to use than a sizzors type jack. And, they aren't terribly expensive. And, if you don't have any money left over for stands, use blocks of 2x4s, 2x6s, or 2x10s under a wheel.

But, it comes down to personal preference. Personally, I wouldn't spend a dime on ranps ... I used to have a set of ramps I made out of wood about 50 years ago (but, it did take a little care getting up on them).

(Ben is NO dummy, by the way!)
Yeah I understand the point in having a jack and stands, trust me I have lifted more cars than you can imagine. I just find it much easier to drive up some ramps and do my oil change than to use the traditional jack method. I'll be going to ACE this weekend!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I know where you're coming from. I have thought about Rhino ramps in the past, but have never pulled the trigger. Here's why:

I believe that using the jackstands is just as fast as using Rhino Ramps. Additionally, with the jackstands I can do wheel/brake work. If you pick the proper lifting spot and the proper supporting spot (under the car), there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do things just as quickly as lining up ramps, placing the wooden planks, and driving up on them.

Also, I like the added height I get with jackstands as opposed to ramps. I enjoy using my creeper. I'm an old man and don't like laying on the floor!

Here's a challenge: If anyone in the San Diego area who has a set of Rhino ramps is up for it, I think this would be kind of fun. If we park our cars next to each other and have our respective equipment (me: jackstands and jack. you: rhino ramps and boards.) off to the side of each car, I am willing to bet that it would be just as fast, if not faster, for me to jack up the car and place the jackstands under the car while you get your car up on the Rhino Ramps.

I think we should get together with a stopwatch and a video camera and find out. Would be entertaining if nothing else :).

·
10,456 Posts
Why not just drive up a ramp and be done:dunno:. Lets not forget the ramps are a much cheaper alternative, until you need to remove your wheels...
i can't remember when my car was stock, but i can not easily drive my car onto ramps, and never have enough wood to make a ramp to get onto the ramps when i want them. There is a rubber "puck" at the front end for a floor jack to raise the entire front end.

What i really want is one of those lifts on the ult garage site! (like this one!)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I purchased my set of Rhino ramps seven or eights years ago and have used the hell out of them during that time-and they still are as good as new. They have paid for themselves many times over and have been invaluable in working on my BMW's over the years.

Very, very highly recommended!

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Thanks John!
I only tell the truth, Ben. (Or try to ... cherrsagai )

I think your comment about doing wheel work (like brakes) makes the point very well. Heck, even if you don't plan to do brakes, it is so easy, that as you get more confident, you will eventually try it (DIYers only). Then what do you do? But, as I said before, to each his own ... or something like that ...
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I know where you're coming from. I have thought about Rhino ramps in the past, but have never pulled the trigger. Here's why:

I believe that using the jackstands is just as fast as using Rhino Ramps. Additionally, with the jackstands I can do wheel/brake work. If you pick the proper lifting spot and the proper supporting spot (under the car), there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do things just as quickly as lining up ramps, placing the wooden planks, and driving up on them.

Also, I like the added height I get with jackstands as opposed to ramps. I enjoy using my creeper. I'm an old man and don't like laying on the floor!

Here's a challenge: If anyone in the San Diego area who has a set of Rhino ramps is up for it, I think this would be kind of fun. If we park our cars next to each other and have our respective equipment (me: jackstands and jack. you: rhino ramps and boards.) off to the side of each car, I am willing to bet that it would be just as fast, if not faster, for me to jack up the car and place the jackstands under the car while you get your car up on the Rhino Ramps.

I think we should get together with a stopwatch and a video camera and find out. Would be entertaining if nothing else :).
HaHa.... I don't think we need to go to that extreme Ben....lol. I had a feeling you were going to make that suggestion. It would be interesting though. I do agree that stands is overall better since you can remove the wheels, work on brakes, etc. I just like the convenience of ramps, especially in tight areas. I think I found something with a little more lift than your stands Ben....and they're cheaper!!!!!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
HaHa.... I don't think we need to go to that extreme Ben....lol. I had a feeling you were going to make that suggestion. It would be interesting though. I do agree that stands is overall better since you can remove the wheels, work on brakes, etc. I just like the convenience of ramps, especially in tight areas. I think I found something with a little more lift than your stands Ben....and they're cheaper!!!!!

LOL. That's crazy!

Yes, I think having a competition is a little extreme, but I think it'd be fun anyways. We'd just have to do it BEFORE we started drinking beer.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I see how ridiculous that guy is with that truck, but how'd he get it up there in the first place?

BTW, while I could just barely get my car up onto Rhino Ramps when it was stock, I certainly can't do that now that I have lowered my car with H&R springs unless I put some wood boards in front of it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts